USB mouse lag with XFCE on Ubuntu 18.04, Xorg display

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I upgraded from ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04, and disabled Wayland and enabled the Xorg display. I use the xfce desktop on a Lenovo T430s. After a few seconds of inactivity, my Logitech USB mouse is unresponsive until I move it around for a couple of seconds and/or depress a button or the center wheel. The problem is "fixed" by unplugging and re-plugging in the USB dongle ... until the next reboot.



  • The problem does not happen with the default ubuntu desktop.

  • The problem does not depend on which USB port the dongle is plugged
    in to.

  • The same behavior occurs for two different Logitech mouse/dongle
    pairs.

  • I never had this issue using xfce with ubuntu 16.04.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!







share|improve this question






















  • I am spitballing here because I am not 100% sure what your issue is. I use Xfce4 and I won't go to any other DE. Maybe use Compton duncanlock.net/blog/2013/06/07/… instead of xfwm4 as the compositor. In the instructions, just install compton without adding any repositories sudo apt install compton but the rest of the instructions are still valid.
    – Terrance
    May 9 at 0:39














up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I upgraded from ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04, and disabled Wayland and enabled the Xorg display. I use the xfce desktop on a Lenovo T430s. After a few seconds of inactivity, my Logitech USB mouse is unresponsive until I move it around for a couple of seconds and/or depress a button or the center wheel. The problem is "fixed" by unplugging and re-plugging in the USB dongle ... until the next reboot.



  • The problem does not happen with the default ubuntu desktop.

  • The problem does not depend on which USB port the dongle is plugged
    in to.

  • The same behavior occurs for two different Logitech mouse/dongle
    pairs.

  • I never had this issue using xfce with ubuntu 16.04.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!







share|improve this question






















  • I am spitballing here because I am not 100% sure what your issue is. I use Xfce4 and I won't go to any other DE. Maybe use Compton duncanlock.net/blog/2013/06/07/… instead of xfwm4 as the compositor. In the instructions, just install compton without adding any repositories sudo apt install compton but the rest of the instructions are still valid.
    – Terrance
    May 9 at 0:39












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











I upgraded from ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04, and disabled Wayland and enabled the Xorg display. I use the xfce desktop on a Lenovo T430s. After a few seconds of inactivity, my Logitech USB mouse is unresponsive until I move it around for a couple of seconds and/or depress a button or the center wheel. The problem is "fixed" by unplugging and re-plugging in the USB dongle ... until the next reboot.



  • The problem does not happen with the default ubuntu desktop.

  • The problem does not depend on which USB port the dongle is plugged
    in to.

  • The same behavior occurs for two different Logitech mouse/dongle
    pairs.

  • I never had this issue using xfce with ubuntu 16.04.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!







share|improve this question














I upgraded from ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04, and disabled Wayland and enabled the Xorg display. I use the xfce desktop on a Lenovo T430s. After a few seconds of inactivity, my Logitech USB mouse is unresponsive until I move it around for a couple of seconds and/or depress a button or the center wheel. The problem is "fixed" by unplugging and re-plugging in the USB dongle ... until the next reboot.



  • The problem does not happen with the default ubuntu desktop.

  • The problem does not depend on which USB port the dongle is plugged
    in to.

  • The same behavior occurs for two different Logitech mouse/dongle
    pairs.

  • I never had this issue using xfce with ubuntu 16.04.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!









share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited May 9 at 0:48

























asked May 9 at 0:26









John Doe

62




62











  • I am spitballing here because I am not 100% sure what your issue is. I use Xfce4 and I won't go to any other DE. Maybe use Compton duncanlock.net/blog/2013/06/07/… instead of xfwm4 as the compositor. In the instructions, just install compton without adding any repositories sudo apt install compton but the rest of the instructions are still valid.
    – Terrance
    May 9 at 0:39
















  • I am spitballing here because I am not 100% sure what your issue is. I use Xfce4 and I won't go to any other DE. Maybe use Compton duncanlock.net/blog/2013/06/07/… instead of xfwm4 as the compositor. In the instructions, just install compton without adding any repositories sudo apt install compton but the rest of the instructions are still valid.
    – Terrance
    May 9 at 0:39















I am spitballing here because I am not 100% sure what your issue is. I use Xfce4 and I won't go to any other DE. Maybe use Compton duncanlock.net/blog/2013/06/07/… instead of xfwm4 as the compositor. In the instructions, just install compton without adding any repositories sudo apt install compton but the rest of the instructions are still valid.
– Terrance
May 9 at 0:39




I am spitballing here because I am not 100% sure what your issue is. I use Xfce4 and I won't go to any other DE. Maybe use Compton duncanlock.net/blog/2013/06/07/… instead of xfwm4 as the compositor. In the instructions, just install compton without adding any repositories sudo apt install compton but the rest of the instructions are still valid.
– Terrance
May 9 at 0:39










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
0
down vote













I finally figured out the problem, which is not likely to affect anyone else in the universe, but here's the solution anyway. As part of an autostart script for Xfce, I was using powertop to make power-saving adjustments (powertop --auto-tune). This included power management for the USB Logitech receiver, which caused the USB mouse to fall asleep after a few seconds of inactivity.



I replaced my powertop command with an excellent script (https://askubuntu.com/a/1026527/824514) that autotunes powertop but subsequently disables power management for USB devices using the Human Interface Device driver.



I don't know why I didn't have this problem in ubuntu 16.04, nor do I care to think about it.



Thanks to Ric Klaren for the script, and to Chris Pavlovich at Oregon State University for helping me identify the problem.






share|improve this answer




















    Your Answer







    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "89"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    convertImagesToLinks: true,
    noModals: false,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: 10,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );








     

    draft saved


    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1033807%2fusb-mouse-lag-with-xfce-on-ubuntu-18-04-xorg-display%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest






























    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes








    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes








    up vote
    0
    down vote













    I finally figured out the problem, which is not likely to affect anyone else in the universe, but here's the solution anyway. As part of an autostart script for Xfce, I was using powertop to make power-saving adjustments (powertop --auto-tune). This included power management for the USB Logitech receiver, which caused the USB mouse to fall asleep after a few seconds of inactivity.



    I replaced my powertop command with an excellent script (https://askubuntu.com/a/1026527/824514) that autotunes powertop but subsequently disables power management for USB devices using the Human Interface Device driver.



    I don't know why I didn't have this problem in ubuntu 16.04, nor do I care to think about it.



    Thanks to Ric Klaren for the script, and to Chris Pavlovich at Oregon State University for helping me identify the problem.






    share|improve this answer
























      up vote
      0
      down vote













      I finally figured out the problem, which is not likely to affect anyone else in the universe, but here's the solution anyway. As part of an autostart script for Xfce, I was using powertop to make power-saving adjustments (powertop --auto-tune). This included power management for the USB Logitech receiver, which caused the USB mouse to fall asleep after a few seconds of inactivity.



      I replaced my powertop command with an excellent script (https://askubuntu.com/a/1026527/824514) that autotunes powertop but subsequently disables power management for USB devices using the Human Interface Device driver.



      I don't know why I didn't have this problem in ubuntu 16.04, nor do I care to think about it.



      Thanks to Ric Klaren for the script, and to Chris Pavlovich at Oregon State University for helping me identify the problem.






      share|improve this answer






















        up vote
        0
        down vote










        up vote
        0
        down vote









        I finally figured out the problem, which is not likely to affect anyone else in the universe, but here's the solution anyway. As part of an autostart script for Xfce, I was using powertop to make power-saving adjustments (powertop --auto-tune). This included power management for the USB Logitech receiver, which caused the USB mouse to fall asleep after a few seconds of inactivity.



        I replaced my powertop command with an excellent script (https://askubuntu.com/a/1026527/824514) that autotunes powertop but subsequently disables power management for USB devices using the Human Interface Device driver.



        I don't know why I didn't have this problem in ubuntu 16.04, nor do I care to think about it.



        Thanks to Ric Klaren for the script, and to Chris Pavlovich at Oregon State University for helping me identify the problem.






        share|improve this answer












        I finally figured out the problem, which is not likely to affect anyone else in the universe, but here's the solution anyway. As part of an autostart script for Xfce, I was using powertop to make power-saving adjustments (powertop --auto-tune). This included power management for the USB Logitech receiver, which caused the USB mouse to fall asleep after a few seconds of inactivity.



        I replaced my powertop command with an excellent script (https://askubuntu.com/a/1026527/824514) that autotunes powertop but subsequently disables power management for USB devices using the Human Interface Device driver.



        I don't know why I didn't have this problem in ubuntu 16.04, nor do I care to think about it.



        Thanks to Ric Klaren for the script, and to Chris Pavlovich at Oregon State University for helping me identify the problem.







        share|improve this answer












        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer










        answered May 12 at 1:06









        John Doe

        62




        62






















             

            draft saved


            draft discarded


























             


            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1033807%2fusb-mouse-lag-with-xfce-on-ubuntu-18-04-xorg-display%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest













































































            Popular posts from this blog

            Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

            How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

            Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error