How to change mount options with terminal?

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












please correct any mistakes. So I went in to the drive application and disabled the auto mount in mount options. When I rebooted I can only start in the grub mode and can only access safe mode.



Note. I found a command that seems to remount the drive but, then I get login loop.
(Ubuntu17.10)



I'm assuming I just need to figure out how to manually mount my sda







share|improve this question






















  • login loop for terminal? or gui? Did you mount your /home directory too? as your gui needs to write files there otherwise you're logged out :)
    – guiverc
    May 8 at 23:34










  • I use sudo mount -rw -o remount /dev/sda1 / so that I can go to the normal login and their is the loop
    – Rafael Mendoza
    May 9 at 3:04











  • yes I saw that answer which will work if you don't have a separate /home partition; my comment was in case you do have one...
    – guiverc
    May 9 at 3:15










  • Since I start In grub mode I hit the "ubuntu" seems to start normally but it then fully loads and there is a black screen with no way to use mouse. There is just an option to login to the command I think is what it is. Thanks
    – Rafael Mendoza
    May 9 at 3:16










  • Black screen with no mouse sounds like graphics issue to me... I would suggest removing splash quiet from your boot, maybe adding a '1' (or single to go into single-user or maintenance mode) to undo whatever you did (hopefully its in history if you used terminal)
    – guiverc
    May 9 at 3:30














up vote
0
down vote

favorite












please correct any mistakes. So I went in to the drive application and disabled the auto mount in mount options. When I rebooted I can only start in the grub mode and can only access safe mode.



Note. I found a command that seems to remount the drive but, then I get login loop.
(Ubuntu17.10)



I'm assuming I just need to figure out how to manually mount my sda







share|improve this question






















  • login loop for terminal? or gui? Did you mount your /home directory too? as your gui needs to write files there otherwise you're logged out :)
    – guiverc
    May 8 at 23:34










  • I use sudo mount -rw -o remount /dev/sda1 / so that I can go to the normal login and their is the loop
    – Rafael Mendoza
    May 9 at 3:04











  • yes I saw that answer which will work if you don't have a separate /home partition; my comment was in case you do have one...
    – guiverc
    May 9 at 3:15










  • Since I start In grub mode I hit the "ubuntu" seems to start normally but it then fully loads and there is a black screen with no way to use mouse. There is just an option to login to the command I think is what it is. Thanks
    – Rafael Mendoza
    May 9 at 3:16










  • Black screen with no mouse sounds like graphics issue to me... I would suggest removing splash quiet from your boot, maybe adding a '1' (or single to go into single-user or maintenance mode) to undo whatever you did (hopefully its in history if you used terminal)
    – guiverc
    May 9 at 3:30












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











please correct any mistakes. So I went in to the drive application and disabled the auto mount in mount options. When I rebooted I can only start in the grub mode and can only access safe mode.



Note. I found a command that seems to remount the drive but, then I get login loop.
(Ubuntu17.10)



I'm assuming I just need to figure out how to manually mount my sda







share|improve this question














please correct any mistakes. So I went in to the drive application and disabled the auto mount in mount options. When I rebooted I can only start in the grub mode and can only access safe mode.



Note. I found a command that seems to remount the drive but, then I get login loop.
(Ubuntu17.10)



I'm assuming I just need to figure out how to manually mount my sda









share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited May 9 at 3:29

























asked May 8 at 22:54









Rafael Mendoza

11




11











  • login loop for terminal? or gui? Did you mount your /home directory too? as your gui needs to write files there otherwise you're logged out :)
    – guiverc
    May 8 at 23:34










  • I use sudo mount -rw -o remount /dev/sda1 / so that I can go to the normal login and their is the loop
    – Rafael Mendoza
    May 9 at 3:04











  • yes I saw that answer which will work if you don't have a separate /home partition; my comment was in case you do have one...
    – guiverc
    May 9 at 3:15










  • Since I start In grub mode I hit the "ubuntu" seems to start normally but it then fully loads and there is a black screen with no way to use mouse. There is just an option to login to the command I think is what it is. Thanks
    – Rafael Mendoza
    May 9 at 3:16










  • Black screen with no mouse sounds like graphics issue to me... I would suggest removing splash quiet from your boot, maybe adding a '1' (or single to go into single-user or maintenance mode) to undo whatever you did (hopefully its in history if you used terminal)
    – guiverc
    May 9 at 3:30
















  • login loop for terminal? or gui? Did you mount your /home directory too? as your gui needs to write files there otherwise you're logged out :)
    – guiverc
    May 8 at 23:34










  • I use sudo mount -rw -o remount /dev/sda1 / so that I can go to the normal login and their is the loop
    – Rafael Mendoza
    May 9 at 3:04











  • yes I saw that answer which will work if you don't have a separate /home partition; my comment was in case you do have one...
    – guiverc
    May 9 at 3:15










  • Since I start In grub mode I hit the "ubuntu" seems to start normally but it then fully loads and there is a black screen with no way to use mouse. There is just an option to login to the command I think is what it is. Thanks
    – Rafael Mendoza
    May 9 at 3:16










  • Black screen with no mouse sounds like graphics issue to me... I would suggest removing splash quiet from your boot, maybe adding a '1' (or single to go into single-user or maintenance mode) to undo whatever you did (hopefully its in history if you used terminal)
    – guiverc
    May 9 at 3:30















login loop for terminal? or gui? Did you mount your /home directory too? as your gui needs to write files there otherwise you're logged out :)
– guiverc
May 8 at 23:34




login loop for terminal? or gui? Did you mount your /home directory too? as your gui needs to write files there otherwise you're logged out :)
– guiverc
May 8 at 23:34












I use sudo mount -rw -o remount /dev/sda1 / so that I can go to the normal login and their is the loop
– Rafael Mendoza
May 9 at 3:04





I use sudo mount -rw -o remount /dev/sda1 / so that I can go to the normal login and their is the loop
– Rafael Mendoza
May 9 at 3:04













yes I saw that answer which will work if you don't have a separate /home partition; my comment was in case you do have one...
– guiverc
May 9 at 3:15




yes I saw that answer which will work if you don't have a separate /home partition; my comment was in case you do have one...
– guiverc
May 9 at 3:15












Since I start In grub mode I hit the "ubuntu" seems to start normally but it then fully loads and there is a black screen with no way to use mouse. There is just an option to login to the command I think is what it is. Thanks
– Rafael Mendoza
May 9 at 3:16




Since I start In grub mode I hit the "ubuntu" seems to start normally but it then fully loads and there is a black screen with no way to use mouse. There is just an option to login to the command I think is what it is. Thanks
– Rafael Mendoza
May 9 at 3:16












Black screen with no mouse sounds like graphics issue to me... I would suggest removing splash quiet from your boot, maybe adding a '1' (or single to go into single-user or maintenance mode) to undo whatever you did (hopefully its in history if you used terminal)
– guiverc
May 9 at 3:30




Black screen with no mouse sounds like graphics issue to me... I would suggest removing splash quiet from your boot, maybe adding a '1' (or single to go into single-user or maintenance mode) to undo whatever you did (hopefully its in history if you used terminal)
– guiverc
May 9 at 3:30










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
0
down vote













Boot the computer into recovery mode



Select root in the menu, so you can open the shell.



then run the following command.



mount -o rw,remount /


When you have done this, you can try run the command to fix the issues.



PS! Remember backups important stuff first ;)






share|improve this answer






















  • If your stuck in a loginloop you can try to do this. askubuntu.com/questions/223501/…
    – BD Bear
    May 8 at 23:04










  • Thanks BD Bear but that didn't do it.
    – Rafael Mendoza
    May 9 at 3:21










  • can you get your hands some logs ? tail /var/log/syslog tail /var/log/Xorg.0.log and put them on pastebin , and put a link in the comment?
    – BD Bear
    May 9 at 16:37











  • If you cant find the xorg logfile, do a ls /var/log/Xorg* to se if perhaps it has a different number in its name. or check if you can find it in ~/.local/share/xorg/
    – BD Bear
    May 9 at 16:38










Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);








 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1033796%2fhow-to-change-mount-options-with-terminal%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest






























1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes








1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes








up vote
0
down vote













Boot the computer into recovery mode



Select root in the menu, so you can open the shell.



then run the following command.



mount -o rw,remount /


When you have done this, you can try run the command to fix the issues.



PS! Remember backups important stuff first ;)






share|improve this answer






















  • If your stuck in a loginloop you can try to do this. askubuntu.com/questions/223501/…
    – BD Bear
    May 8 at 23:04










  • Thanks BD Bear but that didn't do it.
    – Rafael Mendoza
    May 9 at 3:21










  • can you get your hands some logs ? tail /var/log/syslog tail /var/log/Xorg.0.log and put them on pastebin , and put a link in the comment?
    – BD Bear
    May 9 at 16:37











  • If you cant find the xorg logfile, do a ls /var/log/Xorg* to se if perhaps it has a different number in its name. or check if you can find it in ~/.local/share/xorg/
    – BD Bear
    May 9 at 16:38














up vote
0
down vote













Boot the computer into recovery mode



Select root in the menu, so you can open the shell.



then run the following command.



mount -o rw,remount /


When you have done this, you can try run the command to fix the issues.



PS! Remember backups important stuff first ;)






share|improve this answer






















  • If your stuck in a loginloop you can try to do this. askubuntu.com/questions/223501/…
    – BD Bear
    May 8 at 23:04










  • Thanks BD Bear but that didn't do it.
    – Rafael Mendoza
    May 9 at 3:21










  • can you get your hands some logs ? tail /var/log/syslog tail /var/log/Xorg.0.log and put them on pastebin , and put a link in the comment?
    – BD Bear
    May 9 at 16:37











  • If you cant find the xorg logfile, do a ls /var/log/Xorg* to se if perhaps it has a different number in its name. or check if you can find it in ~/.local/share/xorg/
    – BD Bear
    May 9 at 16:38












up vote
0
down vote










up vote
0
down vote









Boot the computer into recovery mode



Select root in the menu, so you can open the shell.



then run the following command.



mount -o rw,remount /


When you have done this, you can try run the command to fix the issues.



PS! Remember backups important stuff first ;)






share|improve this answer














Boot the computer into recovery mode



Select root in the menu, so you can open the shell.



then run the following command.



mount -o rw,remount /


When you have done this, you can try run the command to fix the issues.



PS! Remember backups important stuff first ;)







share|improve this answer














share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer








edited May 9 at 16:29

























answered May 8 at 23:01









BD Bear

11013




11013











  • If your stuck in a loginloop you can try to do this. askubuntu.com/questions/223501/…
    – BD Bear
    May 8 at 23:04










  • Thanks BD Bear but that didn't do it.
    – Rafael Mendoza
    May 9 at 3:21










  • can you get your hands some logs ? tail /var/log/syslog tail /var/log/Xorg.0.log and put them on pastebin , and put a link in the comment?
    – BD Bear
    May 9 at 16:37











  • If you cant find the xorg logfile, do a ls /var/log/Xorg* to se if perhaps it has a different number in its name. or check if you can find it in ~/.local/share/xorg/
    – BD Bear
    May 9 at 16:38
















  • If your stuck in a loginloop you can try to do this. askubuntu.com/questions/223501/…
    – BD Bear
    May 8 at 23:04










  • Thanks BD Bear but that didn't do it.
    – Rafael Mendoza
    May 9 at 3:21










  • can you get your hands some logs ? tail /var/log/syslog tail /var/log/Xorg.0.log and put them on pastebin , and put a link in the comment?
    – BD Bear
    May 9 at 16:37











  • If you cant find the xorg logfile, do a ls /var/log/Xorg* to se if perhaps it has a different number in its name. or check if you can find it in ~/.local/share/xorg/
    – BD Bear
    May 9 at 16:38















If your stuck in a loginloop you can try to do this. askubuntu.com/questions/223501/…
– BD Bear
May 8 at 23:04




If your stuck in a loginloop you can try to do this. askubuntu.com/questions/223501/…
– BD Bear
May 8 at 23:04












Thanks BD Bear but that didn't do it.
– Rafael Mendoza
May 9 at 3:21




Thanks BD Bear but that didn't do it.
– Rafael Mendoza
May 9 at 3:21












can you get your hands some logs ? tail /var/log/syslog tail /var/log/Xorg.0.log and put them on pastebin , and put a link in the comment?
– BD Bear
May 9 at 16:37





can you get your hands some logs ? tail /var/log/syslog tail /var/log/Xorg.0.log and put them on pastebin , and put a link in the comment?
– BD Bear
May 9 at 16:37













If you cant find the xorg logfile, do a ls /var/log/Xorg* to se if perhaps it has a different number in its name. or check if you can find it in ~/.local/share/xorg/
– BD Bear
May 9 at 16:38




If you cant find the xorg logfile, do a ls /var/log/Xorg* to se if perhaps it has a different number in its name. or check if you can find it in ~/.local/share/xorg/
– BD Bear
May 9 at 16:38












 

draft saved


draft discarded


























 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1033796%2fhow-to-change-mount-options-with-terminal%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error