Is libsnappy.so and its variants needed?

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
2
down vote

favorite












My Ubuntu 16.04 has libsnappy.so.* files in /usr/lib/i386... folders.



  • Do I need them?

Also, there is a /usr/lib/snapd.glib folder even after I removed snap.



  • Can I just purge all remnants of snap, snapd and snappy related files with brute force?


  • Is there a way to remove them intelligently without leaving residues?


I already did apt autoremove and apt autoclean yet these are still here.










share|improve this question



























    up vote
    2
    down vote

    favorite












    My Ubuntu 16.04 has libsnappy.so.* files in /usr/lib/i386... folders.



    • Do I need them?

    Also, there is a /usr/lib/snapd.glib folder even after I removed snap.



    • Can I just purge all remnants of snap, snapd and snappy related files with brute force?


    • Is there a way to remove them intelligently without leaving residues?


    I already did apt autoremove and apt autoclean yet these are still here.










    share|improve this question

























      up vote
      2
      down vote

      favorite









      up vote
      2
      down vote

      favorite











      My Ubuntu 16.04 has libsnappy.so.* files in /usr/lib/i386... folders.



      • Do I need them?

      Also, there is a /usr/lib/snapd.glib folder even after I removed snap.



      • Can I just purge all remnants of snap, snapd and snappy related files with brute force?


      • Is there a way to remove them intelligently without leaving residues?


      I already did apt autoremove and apt autoclean yet these are still here.










      share|improve this question















      My Ubuntu 16.04 has libsnappy.so.* files in /usr/lib/i386... folders.



      • Do I need them?

      Also, there is a /usr/lib/snapd.glib folder even after I removed snap.



      • Can I just purge all remnants of snap, snapd and snappy related files with brute force?


      • Is there a way to remove them intelligently without leaving residues?


      I already did apt autoremove and apt autoclean yet these are still here.







      apt snap ubuntu-core






      share|improve this question















      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question








      edited Jan 28 at 14:55









      Yaron

      8,55271838




      8,55271838










      asked Jan 28 at 14:42









      Janos

      1382313




      1382313




















          2 Answers
          2






          active

          oldest

          votes

















          up vote
          0
          down vote



          accepted










          These libraries (libsnappy.so.*) are contained in the following packages:



          $ dpkg -S libsnappy.so
          libsnappy1v5:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnappy.so.1.3.0
          libsnappy1v5:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnappy.so.1

          $ apt-file search libsnappy.so
          libsnappy-dev: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnappy.so
          libsnappy1v5: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnappy.so.1
          libsnappy1v5: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnappy.so.1.3.0


          According to dependencies they are needed on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS system because of the following reverse dependencies:



          $ apt-cache rdepends libsnappy1v5
          libsnappy1v5
          Reverse Depends:
          libsnappy-dev
          libavcodec-ffmpeg56
          libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56
          juju-mongodb3.2
          ceph-test
          ceph
          python3-tables-lib
          python3-tables-dbg
          python-tables-lib
          python-tables-dbg
          python-snappy
          mongodb-server
          mongodb-clients
          libwiredtiger0
          libsnappy-jni
          libshogun16
          librocksdb4.1
          libmtbl0
          libblosc1
          libavcodec-ffmpeg56
          libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56
          juju-mongodb3.2
          juju-mongodb2.6
          juju-mongodb
          ceph-test
          boomaga
          apitrace-gui
          apitrace
          androguard
          ceph
          libleveldb1v5


          They are used by the following installed packages:



          $ apt-cache rdepends --installed libsnappy1v5 
          libsnappy1v5
          Reverse Depends:
          libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56
          python3-tables-lib
          python-tables-lib
          libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56


          So on my system I can't remove libsnappy1v5 package.






          share|improve this answer



























            up vote
            1
            down vote













            snapd and snappy are two different things.



            snappy is compression used by hadoop



            Wikipedia Snappy compression




            Snappy (previously known as Zippy) is a fast data compression and
            decompression library written in C++ by Google based on ideas from
            LZ77 and open-sourced in 2011.2 It does not aim for maximum
            compression, or compatibility with any other compression library;
            instead, it aims for very high speeds and reasonable compression.
            Compression speed is 250 MB/s and decompression speed is 500 MB/s
            using a single core of a Core i7[which?] processor running in 64-bit
            mode. The compression ratio is 20–100% lower than gzip.




            snapd - what is snap




            • is a squashFS filesystem containing your app code and a snap.yaml file containing specific metadata. It has a read-only file-system and,
              once installed, a writable area.


            • is self-contained. It bundles most of the libraries and runtimes it needs and can be updated and reverted without affecting the rest of
              the system.


            • is confined from the OS and other apps through security mechanisms, but can exchange content and functions with other snaps according to
              fine-grained policies controlled by the user and the OS defaults.







            share|improve this answer




















            • I thought I removed snap, but snapd.glib is still there. Why?
              – Janos
              Jan 29 at 18:54










            Your Answer







            StackExchange.ready(function()
            var channelOptions =
            tags: "".split(" "),
            id: "89"
            ;
            initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

            StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
            // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
            if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
            StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
            createEditor();
            );

            else
            createEditor();

            );

            function createEditor()
            StackExchange.prepareEditor(
            heartbeatType: 'answer',
            convertImagesToLinks: true,
            noModals: false,
            showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
            reputationToPostImages: 10,
            bindNavPrevention: true,
            postfix: "",
            onDemand: true,
            discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
            ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
            );



            );













             

            draft saved


            draft discarded


















            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1000675%2fis-libsnappy-so-and-its-variants-needed%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest






























            2 Answers
            2






            active

            oldest

            votes








            2 Answers
            2






            active

            oldest

            votes









            active

            oldest

            votes






            active

            oldest

            votes








            up vote
            0
            down vote



            accepted










            These libraries (libsnappy.so.*) are contained in the following packages:



            $ dpkg -S libsnappy.so
            libsnappy1v5:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnappy.so.1.3.0
            libsnappy1v5:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnappy.so.1

            $ apt-file search libsnappy.so
            libsnappy-dev: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnappy.so
            libsnappy1v5: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnappy.so.1
            libsnappy1v5: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnappy.so.1.3.0


            According to dependencies they are needed on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS system because of the following reverse dependencies:



            $ apt-cache rdepends libsnappy1v5
            libsnappy1v5
            Reverse Depends:
            libsnappy-dev
            libavcodec-ffmpeg56
            libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56
            juju-mongodb3.2
            ceph-test
            ceph
            python3-tables-lib
            python3-tables-dbg
            python-tables-lib
            python-tables-dbg
            python-snappy
            mongodb-server
            mongodb-clients
            libwiredtiger0
            libsnappy-jni
            libshogun16
            librocksdb4.1
            libmtbl0
            libblosc1
            libavcodec-ffmpeg56
            libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56
            juju-mongodb3.2
            juju-mongodb2.6
            juju-mongodb
            ceph-test
            boomaga
            apitrace-gui
            apitrace
            androguard
            ceph
            libleveldb1v5


            They are used by the following installed packages:



            $ apt-cache rdepends --installed libsnappy1v5 
            libsnappy1v5
            Reverse Depends:
            libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56
            python3-tables-lib
            python-tables-lib
            libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56


            So on my system I can't remove libsnappy1v5 package.






            share|improve this answer
























              up vote
              0
              down vote



              accepted










              These libraries (libsnappy.so.*) are contained in the following packages:



              $ dpkg -S libsnappy.so
              libsnappy1v5:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnappy.so.1.3.0
              libsnappy1v5:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnappy.so.1

              $ apt-file search libsnappy.so
              libsnappy-dev: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnappy.so
              libsnappy1v5: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnappy.so.1
              libsnappy1v5: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnappy.so.1.3.0


              According to dependencies they are needed on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS system because of the following reverse dependencies:



              $ apt-cache rdepends libsnappy1v5
              libsnappy1v5
              Reverse Depends:
              libsnappy-dev
              libavcodec-ffmpeg56
              libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56
              juju-mongodb3.2
              ceph-test
              ceph
              python3-tables-lib
              python3-tables-dbg
              python-tables-lib
              python-tables-dbg
              python-snappy
              mongodb-server
              mongodb-clients
              libwiredtiger0
              libsnappy-jni
              libshogun16
              librocksdb4.1
              libmtbl0
              libblosc1
              libavcodec-ffmpeg56
              libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56
              juju-mongodb3.2
              juju-mongodb2.6
              juju-mongodb
              ceph-test
              boomaga
              apitrace-gui
              apitrace
              androguard
              ceph
              libleveldb1v5


              They are used by the following installed packages:



              $ apt-cache rdepends --installed libsnappy1v5 
              libsnappy1v5
              Reverse Depends:
              libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56
              python3-tables-lib
              python-tables-lib
              libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56


              So on my system I can't remove libsnappy1v5 package.






              share|improve this answer






















                up vote
                0
                down vote



                accepted







                up vote
                0
                down vote



                accepted






                These libraries (libsnappy.so.*) are contained in the following packages:



                $ dpkg -S libsnappy.so
                libsnappy1v5:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnappy.so.1.3.0
                libsnappy1v5:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnappy.so.1

                $ apt-file search libsnappy.so
                libsnappy-dev: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnappy.so
                libsnappy1v5: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnappy.so.1
                libsnappy1v5: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnappy.so.1.3.0


                According to dependencies they are needed on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS system because of the following reverse dependencies:



                $ apt-cache rdepends libsnappy1v5
                libsnappy1v5
                Reverse Depends:
                libsnappy-dev
                libavcodec-ffmpeg56
                libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56
                juju-mongodb3.2
                ceph-test
                ceph
                python3-tables-lib
                python3-tables-dbg
                python-tables-lib
                python-tables-dbg
                python-snappy
                mongodb-server
                mongodb-clients
                libwiredtiger0
                libsnappy-jni
                libshogun16
                librocksdb4.1
                libmtbl0
                libblosc1
                libavcodec-ffmpeg56
                libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56
                juju-mongodb3.2
                juju-mongodb2.6
                juju-mongodb
                ceph-test
                boomaga
                apitrace-gui
                apitrace
                androguard
                ceph
                libleveldb1v5


                They are used by the following installed packages:



                $ apt-cache rdepends --installed libsnappy1v5 
                libsnappy1v5
                Reverse Depends:
                libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56
                python3-tables-lib
                python-tables-lib
                libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56


                So on my system I can't remove libsnappy1v5 package.






                share|improve this answer












                These libraries (libsnappy.so.*) are contained in the following packages:



                $ dpkg -S libsnappy.so
                libsnappy1v5:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnappy.so.1.3.0
                libsnappy1v5:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnappy.so.1

                $ apt-file search libsnappy.so
                libsnappy-dev: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnappy.so
                libsnappy1v5: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnappy.so.1
                libsnappy1v5: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnappy.so.1.3.0


                According to dependencies they are needed on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS system because of the following reverse dependencies:



                $ apt-cache rdepends libsnappy1v5
                libsnappy1v5
                Reverse Depends:
                libsnappy-dev
                libavcodec-ffmpeg56
                libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56
                juju-mongodb3.2
                ceph-test
                ceph
                python3-tables-lib
                python3-tables-dbg
                python-tables-lib
                python-tables-dbg
                python-snappy
                mongodb-server
                mongodb-clients
                libwiredtiger0
                libsnappy-jni
                libshogun16
                librocksdb4.1
                libmtbl0
                libblosc1
                libavcodec-ffmpeg56
                libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56
                juju-mongodb3.2
                juju-mongodb2.6
                juju-mongodb
                ceph-test
                boomaga
                apitrace-gui
                apitrace
                androguard
                ceph
                libleveldb1v5


                They are used by the following installed packages:



                $ apt-cache rdepends --installed libsnappy1v5 
                libsnappy1v5
                Reverse Depends:
                libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56
                python3-tables-lib
                python-tables-lib
                libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56


                So on my system I can't remove libsnappy1v5 package.







                share|improve this answer












                share|improve this answer



                share|improve this answer










                answered Jan 28 at 14:51









                N0rbert

                16.8k33479




                16.8k33479






















                    up vote
                    1
                    down vote













                    snapd and snappy are two different things.



                    snappy is compression used by hadoop



                    Wikipedia Snappy compression




                    Snappy (previously known as Zippy) is a fast data compression and
                    decompression library written in C++ by Google based on ideas from
                    LZ77 and open-sourced in 2011.2 It does not aim for maximum
                    compression, or compatibility with any other compression library;
                    instead, it aims for very high speeds and reasonable compression.
                    Compression speed is 250 MB/s and decompression speed is 500 MB/s
                    using a single core of a Core i7[which?] processor running in 64-bit
                    mode. The compression ratio is 20–100% lower than gzip.




                    snapd - what is snap




                    • is a squashFS filesystem containing your app code and a snap.yaml file containing specific metadata. It has a read-only file-system and,
                      once installed, a writable area.


                    • is self-contained. It bundles most of the libraries and runtimes it needs and can be updated and reverted without affecting the rest of
                      the system.


                    • is confined from the OS and other apps through security mechanisms, but can exchange content and functions with other snaps according to
                      fine-grained policies controlled by the user and the OS defaults.







                    share|improve this answer




















                    • I thought I removed snap, but snapd.glib is still there. Why?
                      – Janos
                      Jan 29 at 18:54














                    up vote
                    1
                    down vote













                    snapd and snappy are two different things.



                    snappy is compression used by hadoop



                    Wikipedia Snappy compression




                    Snappy (previously known as Zippy) is a fast data compression and
                    decompression library written in C++ by Google based on ideas from
                    LZ77 and open-sourced in 2011.2 It does not aim for maximum
                    compression, or compatibility with any other compression library;
                    instead, it aims for very high speeds and reasonable compression.
                    Compression speed is 250 MB/s and decompression speed is 500 MB/s
                    using a single core of a Core i7[which?] processor running in 64-bit
                    mode. The compression ratio is 20–100% lower than gzip.




                    snapd - what is snap




                    • is a squashFS filesystem containing your app code and a snap.yaml file containing specific metadata. It has a read-only file-system and,
                      once installed, a writable area.


                    • is self-contained. It bundles most of the libraries and runtimes it needs and can be updated and reverted without affecting the rest of
                      the system.


                    • is confined from the OS and other apps through security mechanisms, but can exchange content and functions with other snaps according to
                      fine-grained policies controlled by the user and the OS defaults.







                    share|improve this answer




















                    • I thought I removed snap, but snapd.glib is still there. Why?
                      – Janos
                      Jan 29 at 18:54












                    up vote
                    1
                    down vote










                    up vote
                    1
                    down vote









                    snapd and snappy are two different things.



                    snappy is compression used by hadoop



                    Wikipedia Snappy compression




                    Snappy (previously known as Zippy) is a fast data compression and
                    decompression library written in C++ by Google based on ideas from
                    LZ77 and open-sourced in 2011.2 It does not aim for maximum
                    compression, or compatibility with any other compression library;
                    instead, it aims for very high speeds and reasonable compression.
                    Compression speed is 250 MB/s and decompression speed is 500 MB/s
                    using a single core of a Core i7[which?] processor running in 64-bit
                    mode. The compression ratio is 20–100% lower than gzip.




                    snapd - what is snap




                    • is a squashFS filesystem containing your app code and a snap.yaml file containing specific metadata. It has a read-only file-system and,
                      once installed, a writable area.


                    • is self-contained. It bundles most of the libraries and runtimes it needs and can be updated and reverted without affecting the rest of
                      the system.


                    • is confined from the OS and other apps through security mechanisms, but can exchange content and functions with other snaps according to
                      fine-grained policies controlled by the user and the OS defaults.







                    share|improve this answer












                    snapd and snappy are two different things.



                    snappy is compression used by hadoop



                    Wikipedia Snappy compression




                    Snappy (previously known as Zippy) is a fast data compression and
                    decompression library written in C++ by Google based on ideas from
                    LZ77 and open-sourced in 2011.2 It does not aim for maximum
                    compression, or compatibility with any other compression library;
                    instead, it aims for very high speeds and reasonable compression.
                    Compression speed is 250 MB/s and decompression speed is 500 MB/s
                    using a single core of a Core i7[which?] processor running in 64-bit
                    mode. The compression ratio is 20–100% lower than gzip.




                    snapd - what is snap




                    • is a squashFS filesystem containing your app code and a snap.yaml file containing specific metadata. It has a read-only file-system and,
                      once installed, a writable area.


                    • is self-contained. It bundles most of the libraries and runtimes it needs and can be updated and reverted without affecting the rest of
                      the system.


                    • is confined from the OS and other apps through security mechanisms, but can exchange content and functions with other snaps according to
                      fine-grained policies controlled by the user and the OS defaults.








                    share|improve this answer












                    share|improve this answer



                    share|improve this answer










                    answered Jan 28 at 14:51









                    Yaron

                    8,55271838




                    8,55271838











                    • I thought I removed snap, but snapd.glib is still there. Why?
                      – Janos
                      Jan 29 at 18:54
















                    • I thought I removed snap, but snapd.glib is still there. Why?
                      – Janos
                      Jan 29 at 18:54















                    I thought I removed snap, but snapd.glib is still there. Why?
                    – Janos
                    Jan 29 at 18:54




                    I thought I removed snap, but snapd.glib is still there. Why?
                    – Janos
                    Jan 29 at 18:54

















                     

                    draft saved


                    draft discarded















































                     


                    draft saved


                    draft discarded














                    StackExchange.ready(
                    function ()
                    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1000675%2fis-libsnappy-so-and-its-variants-needed%23new-answer', 'question_page');

                    );

                    Post as a guest













































































                    Popular posts from this blog

                    Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

                    How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

                    Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error