Ubuntu freezes on startup at login screen [duplicate]

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite













This question already has an answer here:



  • My computer boots to a black screen, what options do I have to fix it?

    32 answers



I am currently dual booting with Windows 10 on this laptop. When I boot, Ubuntu freezes at the login screen. Nothing I have found provided a long term/permanent solution for me. I believe it is to do with my dual graphics (Intel on-board graphics and Nvidia GTX 970) having some sort of conflict. I have tried booting with nomodeset and nouveua modeset both to 0 but it is quite temperamental if it works or not.



I have had this problem with freezing or black screens on about 3 or 4 installations of different distributions so I am certain it is a hardware conflict issue.



How can I fix this freezing problem?










share|improve this question















marked as duplicate by David Foerster, Fabby, Kevin Bowen, waltinator, pa4080 May 28 at 15:48


This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.














  • You could try booting to Recovery mode, and uninstall the Nvidia driver, reboot, and see if you can get past the login screen.
    – heynnema
    Apr 15 at 0:23














up vote
0
down vote

favorite













This question already has an answer here:



  • My computer boots to a black screen, what options do I have to fix it?

    32 answers



I am currently dual booting with Windows 10 on this laptop. When I boot, Ubuntu freezes at the login screen. Nothing I have found provided a long term/permanent solution for me. I believe it is to do with my dual graphics (Intel on-board graphics and Nvidia GTX 970) having some sort of conflict. I have tried booting with nomodeset and nouveua modeset both to 0 but it is quite temperamental if it works or not.



I have had this problem with freezing or black screens on about 3 or 4 installations of different distributions so I am certain it is a hardware conflict issue.



How can I fix this freezing problem?










share|improve this question















marked as duplicate by David Foerster, Fabby, Kevin Bowen, waltinator, pa4080 May 28 at 15:48


This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.














  • You could try booting to Recovery mode, and uninstall the Nvidia driver, reboot, and see if you can get past the login screen.
    – heynnema
    Apr 15 at 0:23












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite












This question already has an answer here:



  • My computer boots to a black screen, what options do I have to fix it?

    32 answers



I am currently dual booting with Windows 10 on this laptop. When I boot, Ubuntu freezes at the login screen. Nothing I have found provided a long term/permanent solution for me. I believe it is to do with my dual graphics (Intel on-board graphics and Nvidia GTX 970) having some sort of conflict. I have tried booting with nomodeset and nouveua modeset both to 0 but it is quite temperamental if it works or not.



I have had this problem with freezing or black screens on about 3 or 4 installations of different distributions so I am certain it is a hardware conflict issue.



How can I fix this freezing problem?










share|improve this question
















This question already has an answer here:



  • My computer boots to a black screen, what options do I have to fix it?

    32 answers



I am currently dual booting with Windows 10 on this laptop. When I boot, Ubuntu freezes at the login screen. Nothing I have found provided a long term/permanent solution for me. I believe it is to do with my dual graphics (Intel on-board graphics and Nvidia GTX 970) having some sort of conflict. I have tried booting with nomodeset and nouveua modeset both to 0 but it is quite temperamental if it works or not.



I have had this problem with freezing or black screens on about 3 or 4 installations of different distributions so I am certain it is a hardware conflict issue.



How can I fix this freezing problem?





This question already has an answer here:



  • My computer boots to a black screen, what options do I have to fix it?

    32 answers







dual-boot drivers nvidia 17.10






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited May 24 at 22:45









ubashu

2,23721736




2,23721736










asked Apr 13 at 23:36









Jessica Rands

1




1




marked as duplicate by David Foerster, Fabby, Kevin Bowen, waltinator, pa4080 May 28 at 15:48


This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.






marked as duplicate by David Foerster, Fabby, Kevin Bowen, waltinator, pa4080 May 28 at 15:48


This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.













  • You could try booting to Recovery mode, and uninstall the Nvidia driver, reboot, and see if you can get past the login screen.
    – heynnema
    Apr 15 at 0:23
















  • You could try booting to Recovery mode, and uninstall the Nvidia driver, reboot, and see if you can get past the login screen.
    – heynnema
    Apr 15 at 0:23















You could try booting to Recovery mode, and uninstall the Nvidia driver, reboot, and see if you can get past the login screen.
– heynnema
Apr 15 at 0:23




You could try booting to Recovery mode, and uninstall the Nvidia driver, reboot, and see if you can get past the login screen.
– heynnema
Apr 15 at 0:23










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
0
down vote













Try to boot in recovery mode by pressing left SHIFT or ESC, then switch from the NVIDIA drivers to the xserver-xorg-video drivers within the Driver Manager - then reboot. You could also try an earlier version of the NVIDIA driver.






share|improve this answer




















  • Welcome to Ask Ubuntu! I recommend to edit this answer to expand it with specific details about how to do this. (See also How do I write a good answer? for general advice about what sorts of answers are considered most valuable on Ask Ubuntu.)
    – David Foerster
    May 25 at 11:40

















1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes








1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes








up vote
0
down vote













Try to boot in recovery mode by pressing left SHIFT or ESC, then switch from the NVIDIA drivers to the xserver-xorg-video drivers within the Driver Manager - then reboot. You could also try an earlier version of the NVIDIA driver.






share|improve this answer




















  • Welcome to Ask Ubuntu! I recommend to edit this answer to expand it with specific details about how to do this. (See also How do I write a good answer? for general advice about what sorts of answers are considered most valuable on Ask Ubuntu.)
    – David Foerster
    May 25 at 11:40














up vote
0
down vote













Try to boot in recovery mode by pressing left SHIFT or ESC, then switch from the NVIDIA drivers to the xserver-xorg-video drivers within the Driver Manager - then reboot. You could also try an earlier version of the NVIDIA driver.






share|improve this answer




















  • Welcome to Ask Ubuntu! I recommend to edit this answer to expand it with specific details about how to do this. (See also How do I write a good answer? for general advice about what sorts of answers are considered most valuable on Ask Ubuntu.)
    – David Foerster
    May 25 at 11:40












up vote
0
down vote










up vote
0
down vote









Try to boot in recovery mode by pressing left SHIFT or ESC, then switch from the NVIDIA drivers to the xserver-xorg-video drivers within the Driver Manager - then reboot. You could also try an earlier version of the NVIDIA driver.






share|improve this answer












Try to boot in recovery mode by pressing left SHIFT or ESC, then switch from the NVIDIA drivers to the xserver-xorg-video drivers within the Driver Manager - then reboot. You could also try an earlier version of the NVIDIA driver.







share|improve this answer












share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer










answered May 24 at 0:17









Mike

1




1











  • Welcome to Ask Ubuntu! I recommend to edit this answer to expand it with specific details about how to do this. (See also How do I write a good answer? for general advice about what sorts of answers are considered most valuable on Ask Ubuntu.)
    – David Foerster
    May 25 at 11:40
















  • Welcome to Ask Ubuntu! I recommend to edit this answer to expand it with specific details about how to do this. (See also How do I write a good answer? for general advice about what sorts of answers are considered most valuable on Ask Ubuntu.)
    – David Foerster
    May 25 at 11:40















Welcome to Ask Ubuntu! I recommend to edit this answer to expand it with specific details about how to do this. (See also How do I write a good answer? for general advice about what sorts of answers are considered most valuable on Ask Ubuntu.)
– David Foerster
May 25 at 11:40




Welcome to Ask Ubuntu! I recommend to edit this answer to expand it with specific details about how to do this. (See also How do I write a good answer? for general advice about what sorts of answers are considered most valuable on Ask Ubuntu.)
– David Foerster
May 25 at 11:40


Popular posts from this blog

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?