Bridge Interface not Passing Traffic

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I have an Ubuntu Server 16.04 VM on ESXi with a dual SFP+ NIC passed through to it. pfSense doesn't have drivers for the NIC anymore (Mellanox ConnectX G2). I want to bridge those two SFP+ ports and the virtual NIC from ESXi to effectively make a Ubuntu based 10Gig switch. I have tried a few different methods but I can't ever get traffic to pass.
The first method I tried was this guide using VyOS. I could get a DHCP lease but couldn't pass traffic (VM to gateway, machine to VM, nothing). Next I tried the Ubuntu VM with the following config in /etc/network/interfaces and ipv4_forwarding enabled in /etc/sysctl.conf:



auto br0
iface br0 inet dhcp
bridge_ports ens160 ens160d1 ens192
bridge_sfp off
bridge_fd 0
bridge_maxwait 0


This also got me a DHCP lease but no traffic. Lastly, I installed Network-Manager (nmtui), created a br0 interface, deleted the other interfaces, and added all the interface to the bridge. That got me no DHCP lease. When I added a static IP to this config, I could ping until I connected a machine to an SFP. Once I connected the machine, no traffic passed and I could no longer ping until I unplugged the SFP and rebooted the VM.



Thanks in Advance!










share|improve this question

























    up vote
    0
    down vote

    favorite












    I have an Ubuntu Server 16.04 VM on ESXi with a dual SFP+ NIC passed through to it. pfSense doesn't have drivers for the NIC anymore (Mellanox ConnectX G2). I want to bridge those two SFP+ ports and the virtual NIC from ESXi to effectively make a Ubuntu based 10Gig switch. I have tried a few different methods but I can't ever get traffic to pass.
    The first method I tried was this guide using VyOS. I could get a DHCP lease but couldn't pass traffic (VM to gateway, machine to VM, nothing). Next I tried the Ubuntu VM with the following config in /etc/network/interfaces and ipv4_forwarding enabled in /etc/sysctl.conf:



    auto br0
    iface br0 inet dhcp
    bridge_ports ens160 ens160d1 ens192
    bridge_sfp off
    bridge_fd 0
    bridge_maxwait 0


    This also got me a DHCP lease but no traffic. Lastly, I installed Network-Manager (nmtui), created a br0 interface, deleted the other interfaces, and added all the interface to the bridge. That got me no DHCP lease. When I added a static IP to this config, I could ping until I connected a machine to an SFP. Once I connected the machine, no traffic passed and I could no longer ping until I unplugged the SFP and rebooted the VM.



    Thanks in Advance!










    share|improve this question























      up vote
      0
      down vote

      favorite









      up vote
      0
      down vote

      favorite











      I have an Ubuntu Server 16.04 VM on ESXi with a dual SFP+ NIC passed through to it. pfSense doesn't have drivers for the NIC anymore (Mellanox ConnectX G2). I want to bridge those two SFP+ ports and the virtual NIC from ESXi to effectively make a Ubuntu based 10Gig switch. I have tried a few different methods but I can't ever get traffic to pass.
      The first method I tried was this guide using VyOS. I could get a DHCP lease but couldn't pass traffic (VM to gateway, machine to VM, nothing). Next I tried the Ubuntu VM with the following config in /etc/network/interfaces and ipv4_forwarding enabled in /etc/sysctl.conf:



      auto br0
      iface br0 inet dhcp
      bridge_ports ens160 ens160d1 ens192
      bridge_sfp off
      bridge_fd 0
      bridge_maxwait 0


      This also got me a DHCP lease but no traffic. Lastly, I installed Network-Manager (nmtui), created a br0 interface, deleted the other interfaces, and added all the interface to the bridge. That got me no DHCP lease. When I added a static IP to this config, I could ping until I connected a machine to an SFP. Once I connected the machine, no traffic passed and I could no longer ping until I unplugged the SFP and rebooted the VM.



      Thanks in Advance!










      share|improve this question













      I have an Ubuntu Server 16.04 VM on ESXi with a dual SFP+ NIC passed through to it. pfSense doesn't have drivers for the NIC anymore (Mellanox ConnectX G2). I want to bridge those two SFP+ ports and the virtual NIC from ESXi to effectively make a Ubuntu based 10Gig switch. I have tried a few different methods but I can't ever get traffic to pass.
      The first method I tried was this guide using VyOS. I could get a DHCP lease but couldn't pass traffic (VM to gateway, machine to VM, nothing). Next I tried the Ubuntu VM with the following config in /etc/network/interfaces and ipv4_forwarding enabled in /etc/sysctl.conf:



      auto br0
      iface br0 inet dhcp
      bridge_ports ens160 ens160d1 ens192
      bridge_sfp off
      bridge_fd 0
      bridge_maxwait 0


      This also got me a DHCP lease but no traffic. Lastly, I installed Network-Manager (nmtui), created a br0 interface, deleted the other interfaces, and added all the interface to the bridge. That got me no DHCP lease. When I added a static IP to this config, I could ping until I connected a machine to an SFP. Once I connected the machine, no traffic passed and I could no longer ping until I unplugged the SFP and rebooted the VM.



      Thanks in Advance!







      16.04 networking network-manager network-bridge






      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question











      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question










      asked Apr 14 at 2:02









      MecJay12

      12




      12

























          active

          oldest

          votes











          Your Answer







          StackExchange.ready(function()
          var channelOptions =
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "89"
          ;
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
          createEditor();
          );

          else
          createEditor();

          );

          function createEditor()
          StackExchange.prepareEditor(
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          convertImagesToLinks: true,
          noModals: false,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: 10,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          );



          );













           

          draft saved


          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1024841%2fbridge-interface-not-passing-traffic%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest



































          active

          oldest

          votes













          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes















           

          draft saved


          draft discarded















































           


          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1024841%2fbridge-interface-not-passing-traffic%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest













































































          Popular posts from this blog

          Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error

          How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

          Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?