Ubuntu full-install won't get past login (amd radeon gpu)

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I have a MSI GX70 gaming computer that I converted into a coding computer. I installed Ubuntu but its GPU (AMD Radeon HD 8970M) is giving me trouble.



Ubuntu 14 + Oibaf seemed to run fine, however, since I accidentally broke my OS yesterday (sudo apt-get remove python wasn't a very good idea) I thought that I might as well upgrade the distribution.



I tried Ubuntu 18 and 16. Both installations went fine. However, when I boot on drive after installation, I can't get past login. Screen becomes black and my laptop reboots.



I'm currently on my fresh Ubuntu 18 that I booted with nomodeset. Native Radeon module didn't work, neither did Oibaf. I haven't tried AMPDGPU-PRO, but it didn't work last time I tried on Xenial (login loop).
And there are no proprietary driver for this GPU past Ubuntu 14 (I couldn't get fglrx to work on 14 anyway, that's why I used Oibaf instead)



There might also be a power problem but I haven't investigated this beyond disabling acpi.



Is there a way to fix this problem ? (other than downgrading to Ubuntu 14 or permanently add nomodeset to GRUB)







share|improve this question
























    up vote
    0
    down vote

    favorite












    I have a MSI GX70 gaming computer that I converted into a coding computer. I installed Ubuntu but its GPU (AMD Radeon HD 8970M) is giving me trouble.



    Ubuntu 14 + Oibaf seemed to run fine, however, since I accidentally broke my OS yesterday (sudo apt-get remove python wasn't a very good idea) I thought that I might as well upgrade the distribution.



    I tried Ubuntu 18 and 16. Both installations went fine. However, when I boot on drive after installation, I can't get past login. Screen becomes black and my laptop reboots.



    I'm currently on my fresh Ubuntu 18 that I booted with nomodeset. Native Radeon module didn't work, neither did Oibaf. I haven't tried AMPDGPU-PRO, but it didn't work last time I tried on Xenial (login loop).
    And there are no proprietary driver for this GPU past Ubuntu 14 (I couldn't get fglrx to work on 14 anyway, that's why I used Oibaf instead)



    There might also be a power problem but I haven't investigated this beyond disabling acpi.



    Is there a way to fix this problem ? (other than downgrading to Ubuntu 14 or permanently add nomodeset to GRUB)







    share|improve this question






















      up vote
      0
      down vote

      favorite









      up vote
      0
      down vote

      favorite











      I have a MSI GX70 gaming computer that I converted into a coding computer. I installed Ubuntu but its GPU (AMD Radeon HD 8970M) is giving me trouble.



      Ubuntu 14 + Oibaf seemed to run fine, however, since I accidentally broke my OS yesterday (sudo apt-get remove python wasn't a very good idea) I thought that I might as well upgrade the distribution.



      I tried Ubuntu 18 and 16. Both installations went fine. However, when I boot on drive after installation, I can't get past login. Screen becomes black and my laptop reboots.



      I'm currently on my fresh Ubuntu 18 that I booted with nomodeset. Native Radeon module didn't work, neither did Oibaf. I haven't tried AMPDGPU-PRO, but it didn't work last time I tried on Xenial (login loop).
      And there are no proprietary driver for this GPU past Ubuntu 14 (I couldn't get fglrx to work on 14 anyway, that's why I used Oibaf instead)



      There might also be a power problem but I haven't investigated this beyond disabling acpi.



      Is there a way to fix this problem ? (other than downgrading to Ubuntu 14 or permanently add nomodeset to GRUB)







      share|improve this question












      I have a MSI GX70 gaming computer that I converted into a coding computer. I installed Ubuntu but its GPU (AMD Radeon HD 8970M) is giving me trouble.



      Ubuntu 14 + Oibaf seemed to run fine, however, since I accidentally broke my OS yesterday (sudo apt-get remove python wasn't a very good idea) I thought that I might as well upgrade the distribution.



      I tried Ubuntu 18 and 16. Both installations went fine. However, when I boot on drive after installation, I can't get past login. Screen becomes black and my laptop reboots.



      I'm currently on my fresh Ubuntu 18 that I booted with nomodeset. Native Radeon module didn't work, neither did Oibaf. I haven't tried AMPDGPU-PRO, but it didn't work last time I tried on Xenial (login loop).
      And there are no proprietary driver for this GPU past Ubuntu 14 (I couldn't get fglrx to work on 14 anyway, that's why I used Oibaf instead)



      There might also be a power problem but I haven't investigated this beyond disabling acpi.



      Is there a way to fix this problem ? (other than downgrading to Ubuntu 14 or permanently add nomodeset to GRUB)









      share|improve this question











      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question










      asked May 16 at 13:38









      user830572

      11




      11




















          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes

















          up vote
          0
          down vote













          Try to add to grub radeon.modeset=0 to this line :




          GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"




          that it reads :




          GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.modeset=0"




          works better for me than "nomodeset"






          share|improve this answer




















            Your Answer







            StackExchange.ready(function()
            var channelOptions =
            tags: "".split(" "),
            id: "89"
            ;
            initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

            StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
            // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
            if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
            StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
            createEditor();
            );

            else
            createEditor();

            );

            function createEditor()
            StackExchange.prepareEditor(
            heartbeatType: 'answer',
            convertImagesToLinks: true,
            noModals: false,
            showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
            reputationToPostImages: 10,
            bindNavPrevention: true,
            postfix: "",
            onDemand: true,
            discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
            ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
            );



            );








             

            draft saved


            draft discarded


















            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1036972%2fubuntu-full-install-wont-get-past-login-amd-radeon-gpu%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest






























            1 Answer
            1






            active

            oldest

            votes








            1 Answer
            1






            active

            oldest

            votes









            active

            oldest

            votes






            active

            oldest

            votes








            up vote
            0
            down vote













            Try to add to grub radeon.modeset=0 to this line :




            GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"




            that it reads :




            GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.modeset=0"




            works better for me than "nomodeset"






            share|improve this answer
























              up vote
              0
              down vote













              Try to add to grub radeon.modeset=0 to this line :




              GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"




              that it reads :




              GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.modeset=0"




              works better for me than "nomodeset"






              share|improve this answer






















                up vote
                0
                down vote










                up vote
                0
                down vote









                Try to add to grub radeon.modeset=0 to this line :




                GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"




                that it reads :




                GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.modeset=0"




                works better for me than "nomodeset"






                share|improve this answer












                Try to add to grub radeon.modeset=0 to this line :




                GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"




                that it reads :




                GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.modeset=0"




                works better for me than "nomodeset"







                share|improve this answer












                share|improve this answer



                share|improve this answer










                answered Jun 22 at 10:13









                Molemi

                11




                11






















                     

                    draft saved


                    draft discarded


























                     


                    draft saved


                    draft discarded














                    StackExchange.ready(
                    function ()
                    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1036972%2fubuntu-full-install-wont-get-past-login-amd-radeon-gpu%23new-answer', 'question_page');

                    );

                    Post as a guest













































































                    Popular posts from this blog

                    Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

                    How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

                    Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error