Graphics problem on Ubuntu 18.04 - blurred text + screen flickering

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
2
down vote

favorite












I installed Ubuntu 18.04 a day ago. It works perfectly but graphics is a problem; I see screen flickering where there are system or JS overlays and blurred text.



What can I do - my graphics are based on intel chip



Running sudo lshw -c display



I get



*-display 
description: VGA compatible controller
product: HD Graphics 520
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 07
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:127 memory:b0000000-b0ffffff memory:a0000000-afffffff ioport:3000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff


Check the terminal output screenshot







share|improve this question






















  • I think you'll need to give some more detailed hardware information here. Graphics devices should come up when you run lspci -knn | grep -EA2 'VGA|3D' or sudo lshw -c display. Can you edit your question to add that info?
    – Zanna
    May 16 at 7:07










  • Thanks @Zanna , I have edited the question to include the extra details
    – Elias Gikonyo
    May 16 at 13:36














up vote
2
down vote

favorite












I installed Ubuntu 18.04 a day ago. It works perfectly but graphics is a problem; I see screen flickering where there are system or JS overlays and blurred text.



What can I do - my graphics are based on intel chip



Running sudo lshw -c display



I get



*-display 
description: VGA compatible controller
product: HD Graphics 520
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 07
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:127 memory:b0000000-b0ffffff memory:a0000000-afffffff ioport:3000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff


Check the terminal output screenshot







share|improve this question






















  • I think you'll need to give some more detailed hardware information here. Graphics devices should come up when you run lspci -knn | grep -EA2 'VGA|3D' or sudo lshw -c display. Can you edit your question to add that info?
    – Zanna
    May 16 at 7:07










  • Thanks @Zanna , I have edited the question to include the extra details
    – Elias Gikonyo
    May 16 at 13:36












up vote
2
down vote

favorite









up vote
2
down vote

favorite











I installed Ubuntu 18.04 a day ago. It works perfectly but graphics is a problem; I see screen flickering where there are system or JS overlays and blurred text.



What can I do - my graphics are based on intel chip



Running sudo lshw -c display



I get



*-display 
description: VGA compatible controller
product: HD Graphics 520
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 07
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:127 memory:b0000000-b0ffffff memory:a0000000-afffffff ioport:3000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff


Check the terminal output screenshot







share|improve this question














I installed Ubuntu 18.04 a day ago. It works perfectly but graphics is a problem; I see screen flickering where there are system or JS overlays and blurred text.



What can I do - my graphics are based on intel chip



Running sudo lshw -c display



I get



*-display 
description: VGA compatible controller
product: HD Graphics 520
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 07
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:127 memory:b0000000-b0ffffff memory:a0000000-afffffff ioport:3000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff


Check the terminal output screenshot









share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited May 16 at 13:33

























asked May 16 at 6:57









Elias Gikonyo

112




112











  • I think you'll need to give some more detailed hardware information here. Graphics devices should come up when you run lspci -knn | grep -EA2 'VGA|3D' or sudo lshw -c display. Can you edit your question to add that info?
    – Zanna
    May 16 at 7:07










  • Thanks @Zanna , I have edited the question to include the extra details
    – Elias Gikonyo
    May 16 at 13:36
















  • I think you'll need to give some more detailed hardware information here. Graphics devices should come up when you run lspci -knn | grep -EA2 'VGA|3D' or sudo lshw -c display. Can you edit your question to add that info?
    – Zanna
    May 16 at 7:07










  • Thanks @Zanna , I have edited the question to include the extra details
    – Elias Gikonyo
    May 16 at 13:36















I think you'll need to give some more detailed hardware information here. Graphics devices should come up when you run lspci -knn | grep -EA2 'VGA|3D' or sudo lshw -c display. Can you edit your question to add that info?
– Zanna
May 16 at 7:07




I think you'll need to give some more detailed hardware information here. Graphics devices should come up when you run lspci -knn | grep -EA2 'VGA|3D' or sudo lshw -c display. Can you edit your question to add that info?
– Zanna
May 16 at 7:07












Thanks @Zanna , I have edited the question to include the extra details
– Elias Gikonyo
May 16 at 13:36




Thanks @Zanna , I have edited the question to include the extra details
– Elias Gikonyo
May 16 at 13:36










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
0
down vote













To get rid of the flicker, I had to REMOVE these two lines from /etc/environment (you probably don't have them, unless you installed gnome-wobbly-windows extension)



CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling
CLUTTER_VBLANK=True


And I also had to run sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall and then reboot



For nVidia cards:
To make the text non-blurry, I just increased the screen resolution via nvidia-settings (the Display dialog did not let me change the resolution)






share|improve this answer




















    Your Answer







    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "89"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    convertImagesToLinks: true,
    noModals: false,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: 10,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );








     

    draft saved


    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1036816%2fgraphics-problem-on-ubuntu-18-04-blurred-text-screen-flickering%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest






























    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes








    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes








    up vote
    0
    down vote













    To get rid of the flicker, I had to REMOVE these two lines from /etc/environment (you probably don't have them, unless you installed gnome-wobbly-windows extension)



    CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling
    CLUTTER_VBLANK=True


    And I also had to run sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall and then reboot



    For nVidia cards:
    To make the text non-blurry, I just increased the screen resolution via nvidia-settings (the Display dialog did not let me change the resolution)






    share|improve this answer
























      up vote
      0
      down vote













      To get rid of the flicker, I had to REMOVE these two lines from /etc/environment (you probably don't have them, unless you installed gnome-wobbly-windows extension)



      CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling
      CLUTTER_VBLANK=True


      And I also had to run sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall and then reboot



      For nVidia cards:
      To make the text non-blurry, I just increased the screen resolution via nvidia-settings (the Display dialog did not let me change the resolution)






      share|improve this answer






















        up vote
        0
        down vote










        up vote
        0
        down vote









        To get rid of the flicker, I had to REMOVE these two lines from /etc/environment (you probably don't have them, unless you installed gnome-wobbly-windows extension)



        CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling
        CLUTTER_VBLANK=True


        And I also had to run sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall and then reboot



        For nVidia cards:
        To make the text non-blurry, I just increased the screen resolution via nvidia-settings (the Display dialog did not let me change the resolution)






        share|improve this answer












        To get rid of the flicker, I had to REMOVE these two lines from /etc/environment (you probably don't have them, unless you installed gnome-wobbly-windows extension)



        CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling
        CLUTTER_VBLANK=True


        And I also had to run sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall and then reboot



        For nVidia cards:
        To make the text non-blurry, I just increased the screen resolution via nvidia-settings (the Display dialog did not let me change the resolution)







        share|improve this answer












        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer










        answered Jun 4 at 23:53









        Jonathan

        1,10921326




        1,10921326






















             

            draft saved


            draft discarded


























             


            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1036816%2fgraphics-problem-on-ubuntu-18-04-blurred-text-screen-flickering%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest













































































            Popular posts from this blog

            Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

            How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

            Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error