Access terminal from login screen on Ubuntu 18.04

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
3
down vote

favorite












I would like to open the terminal from the login screen. In previous Ubuntu releases I just used Ctrl+Alt+F1. However, when I press Ctrl+Alt+F1 in 18.04, nothing happens, the login screen just stays as it is. All other combinations with F-keys (F2 to F12) also have no effect whatsoever.



What key shortcut do I have to press to open the terminal from the login screen?







share|improve this question






















  • Do you mean tty screen?
    – Aryo Adhi
    May 17 at 11:49










  • yes! is terminal not the right word?
    – Ethunxxx
    May 17 at 11:52






  • 1




    What do "do not work" and "does not seem to work" mean?
    – muru
    May 17 at 12:51






  • 2




    Are you using a VM? Are your function keys actually function keys or one of those types that need to have an Fn key pressed additionally? What if you login and run sudo chvt 5?
    – muru
    May 17 at 13:22






  • 1




    @muru I found a way to make it work: When I switch from the open-source to the proprietary NVIDIA driver, I can access tty without a problem. So apparently, it's a bug related to the open-source graphics drivers.
    – Ethunxxx
    May 17 at 13:59















up vote
3
down vote

favorite












I would like to open the terminal from the login screen. In previous Ubuntu releases I just used Ctrl+Alt+F1. However, when I press Ctrl+Alt+F1 in 18.04, nothing happens, the login screen just stays as it is. All other combinations with F-keys (F2 to F12) also have no effect whatsoever.



What key shortcut do I have to press to open the terminal from the login screen?







share|improve this question






















  • Do you mean tty screen?
    – Aryo Adhi
    May 17 at 11:49










  • yes! is terminal not the right word?
    – Ethunxxx
    May 17 at 11:52






  • 1




    What do "do not work" and "does not seem to work" mean?
    – muru
    May 17 at 12:51






  • 2




    Are you using a VM? Are your function keys actually function keys or one of those types that need to have an Fn key pressed additionally? What if you login and run sudo chvt 5?
    – muru
    May 17 at 13:22






  • 1




    @muru I found a way to make it work: When I switch from the open-source to the proprietary NVIDIA driver, I can access tty without a problem. So apparently, it's a bug related to the open-source graphics drivers.
    – Ethunxxx
    May 17 at 13:59













up vote
3
down vote

favorite









up vote
3
down vote

favorite











I would like to open the terminal from the login screen. In previous Ubuntu releases I just used Ctrl+Alt+F1. However, when I press Ctrl+Alt+F1 in 18.04, nothing happens, the login screen just stays as it is. All other combinations with F-keys (F2 to F12) also have no effect whatsoever.



What key shortcut do I have to press to open the terminal from the login screen?







share|improve this question














I would like to open the terminal from the login screen. In previous Ubuntu releases I just used Ctrl+Alt+F1. However, when I press Ctrl+Alt+F1 in 18.04, nothing happens, the login screen just stays as it is. All other combinations with F-keys (F2 to F12) also have no effect whatsoever.



What key shortcut do I have to press to open the terminal from the login screen?









share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited May 17 at 13:18

























asked May 17 at 11:47









Ethunxxx

1299




1299











  • Do you mean tty screen?
    – Aryo Adhi
    May 17 at 11:49










  • yes! is terminal not the right word?
    – Ethunxxx
    May 17 at 11:52






  • 1




    What do "do not work" and "does not seem to work" mean?
    – muru
    May 17 at 12:51






  • 2




    Are you using a VM? Are your function keys actually function keys or one of those types that need to have an Fn key pressed additionally? What if you login and run sudo chvt 5?
    – muru
    May 17 at 13:22






  • 1




    @muru I found a way to make it work: When I switch from the open-source to the proprietary NVIDIA driver, I can access tty without a problem. So apparently, it's a bug related to the open-source graphics drivers.
    – Ethunxxx
    May 17 at 13:59

















  • Do you mean tty screen?
    – Aryo Adhi
    May 17 at 11:49










  • yes! is terminal not the right word?
    – Ethunxxx
    May 17 at 11:52






  • 1




    What do "do not work" and "does not seem to work" mean?
    – muru
    May 17 at 12:51






  • 2




    Are you using a VM? Are your function keys actually function keys or one of those types that need to have an Fn key pressed additionally? What if you login and run sudo chvt 5?
    – muru
    May 17 at 13:22






  • 1




    @muru I found a way to make it work: When I switch from the open-source to the proprietary NVIDIA driver, I can access tty without a problem. So apparently, it's a bug related to the open-source graphics drivers.
    – Ethunxxx
    May 17 at 13:59
















Do you mean tty screen?
– Aryo Adhi
May 17 at 11:49




Do you mean tty screen?
– Aryo Adhi
May 17 at 11:49












yes! is terminal not the right word?
– Ethunxxx
May 17 at 11:52




yes! is terminal not the right word?
– Ethunxxx
May 17 at 11:52




1




1




What do "do not work" and "does not seem to work" mean?
– muru
May 17 at 12:51




What do "do not work" and "does not seem to work" mean?
– muru
May 17 at 12:51




2




2




Are you using a VM? Are your function keys actually function keys or one of those types that need to have an Fn key pressed additionally? What if you login and run sudo chvt 5?
– muru
May 17 at 13:22




Are you using a VM? Are your function keys actually function keys or one of those types that need to have an Fn key pressed additionally? What if you login and run sudo chvt 5?
– muru
May 17 at 13:22




1




1




@muru I found a way to make it work: When I switch from the open-source to the proprietary NVIDIA driver, I can access tty without a problem. So apparently, it's a bug related to the open-source graphics drivers.
– Ethunxxx
May 17 at 13:59





@muru I found a way to make it work: When I switch from the open-source to the proprietary NVIDIA driver, I can access tty without a problem. So apparently, it's a bug related to the open-source graphics drivers.
– Ethunxxx
May 17 at 13:59
















active

oldest

votes











Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);








 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1037369%2faccess-terminal-from-login-screen-on-ubuntu-18-04%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest



































active

oldest

votes













active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes










 

draft saved


draft discarded


























 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1037369%2faccess-terminal-from-login-screen-on-ubuntu-18-04%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error