GLib-Critical errors in Ubuntu 18.04

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I'm having a lot of trouble after upgrading to 18.04. Certain GUI applications that use the GTK library are failing to start, throwing the error:



GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 03:16:28.378: cannot register existing type 'GdkDisplayManager'

GLib-CRITICAL **: 03:16:28.378: g_once_init_leave: assertion 'result != 0' failed

GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 03:16:28.378: g_object_new_with_properties: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed


I went to test out if I could get GTK apps to work in python and that also fails. Trying the simple example scripts from the official GTK tutorial leads to import failures, particularly:



File "test.py", line 1, in <module>
import gi
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'gi'`


I've tried to reinstall all the appropriate packages to no avail:



sudo apt install --reinstall python-gi python-gi-cairo python3-gi python3-gi-cairo gir1.2-gtk-3.0






share|improve this question






















  • »» import gi «« : No "gi" → packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/amd64/python-gi/filelist ... But you can use e.g. from gi.repository import Gtk (example from the file GUI_Main.py : app-name = APP-Tool.)
    – Knud Larsen
    May 16 at 13:27














up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I'm having a lot of trouble after upgrading to 18.04. Certain GUI applications that use the GTK library are failing to start, throwing the error:



GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 03:16:28.378: cannot register existing type 'GdkDisplayManager'

GLib-CRITICAL **: 03:16:28.378: g_once_init_leave: assertion 'result != 0' failed

GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 03:16:28.378: g_object_new_with_properties: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed


I went to test out if I could get GTK apps to work in python and that also fails. Trying the simple example scripts from the official GTK tutorial leads to import failures, particularly:



File "test.py", line 1, in <module>
import gi
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'gi'`


I've tried to reinstall all the appropriate packages to no avail:



sudo apt install --reinstall python-gi python-gi-cairo python3-gi python3-gi-cairo gir1.2-gtk-3.0






share|improve this question






















  • »» import gi «« : No "gi" → packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/amd64/python-gi/filelist ... But you can use e.g. from gi.repository import Gtk (example from the file GUI_Main.py : app-name = APP-Tool.)
    – Knud Larsen
    May 16 at 13:27












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











I'm having a lot of trouble after upgrading to 18.04. Certain GUI applications that use the GTK library are failing to start, throwing the error:



GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 03:16:28.378: cannot register existing type 'GdkDisplayManager'

GLib-CRITICAL **: 03:16:28.378: g_once_init_leave: assertion 'result != 0' failed

GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 03:16:28.378: g_object_new_with_properties: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed


I went to test out if I could get GTK apps to work in python and that also fails. Trying the simple example scripts from the official GTK tutorial leads to import failures, particularly:



File "test.py", line 1, in <module>
import gi
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'gi'`


I've tried to reinstall all the appropriate packages to no avail:



sudo apt install --reinstall python-gi python-gi-cairo python3-gi python3-gi-cairo gir1.2-gtk-3.0






share|improve this question














I'm having a lot of trouble after upgrading to 18.04. Certain GUI applications that use the GTK library are failing to start, throwing the error:



GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 03:16:28.378: cannot register existing type 'GdkDisplayManager'

GLib-CRITICAL **: 03:16:28.378: g_once_init_leave: assertion 'result != 0' failed

GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 03:16:28.378: g_object_new_with_properties: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed


I went to test out if I could get GTK apps to work in python and that also fails. Trying the simple example scripts from the official GTK tutorial leads to import failures, particularly:



File "test.py", line 1, in <module>
import gi
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'gi'`


I've tried to reinstall all the appropriate packages to no avail:



sudo apt install --reinstall python-gi python-gi-cairo python3-gi python3-gi-cairo gir1.2-gtk-3.0








share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited May 16 at 7:34









muru

129k19271460




129k19271460










asked May 16 at 7:20









Astrum

1115




1115











  • »» import gi «« : No "gi" → packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/amd64/python-gi/filelist ... But you can use e.g. from gi.repository import Gtk (example from the file GUI_Main.py : app-name = APP-Tool.)
    – Knud Larsen
    May 16 at 13:27
















  • »» import gi «« : No "gi" → packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/amd64/python-gi/filelist ... But you can use e.g. from gi.repository import Gtk (example from the file GUI_Main.py : app-name = APP-Tool.)
    – Knud Larsen
    May 16 at 13:27















»» import gi «« : No "gi" → packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/amd64/python-gi/filelist ... But you can use e.g. from gi.repository import Gtk (example from the file GUI_Main.py : app-name = APP-Tool.)
– Knud Larsen
May 16 at 13:27




»» import gi «« : No "gi" → packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/amd64/python-gi/filelist ... But you can use e.g. from gi.repository import Gtk (example from the file GUI_Main.py : app-name = APP-Tool.)
– Knud Larsen
May 16 at 13:27















active

oldest

votes











Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);








 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1036825%2fglib-critical-errors-in-ubuntu-18-04%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest



































active

oldest

votes













active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes










 

draft saved


draft discarded


























 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1036825%2fglib-critical-errors-in-ubuntu-18-04%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error