How to change display resolution and scaling using the command line [duplicate]

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
2
down vote

favorite













This question already has an answer here:



  • How do I change the screen resolution using Ubuntu command line?

    4 answers



i have a laptop with a hidpi display, i'm using ubuntu 18.04 with a resolution of 3840x2160 and 200% scale. Everything software I use looks fine with the exception of one so I would like to write a script so I can automatically change, let's say scaling to 100% and resolution to 1024x768.



Is there a way to do this?



Thanks!







share|improve this question












marked as duplicate by karel, Sergiy Kolodyazhnyy, Goddard, Eric Carvalho, user364819 May 31 at 20:17


This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.














  • To reviewers: This duplicate doesn’t address the scaling in any way.
    – dessert
    May 29 at 6:29










  • Suggest you visit askubuntu.com/questions/771673/…
    – K7AAY
    May 31 at 18:08















up vote
2
down vote

favorite













This question already has an answer here:



  • How do I change the screen resolution using Ubuntu command line?

    4 answers



i have a laptop with a hidpi display, i'm using ubuntu 18.04 with a resolution of 3840x2160 and 200% scale. Everything software I use looks fine with the exception of one so I would like to write a script so I can automatically change, let's say scaling to 100% and resolution to 1024x768.



Is there a way to do this?



Thanks!







share|improve this question












marked as duplicate by karel, Sergiy Kolodyazhnyy, Goddard, Eric Carvalho, user364819 May 31 at 20:17


This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.














  • To reviewers: This duplicate doesn’t address the scaling in any way.
    – dessert
    May 29 at 6:29










  • Suggest you visit askubuntu.com/questions/771673/…
    – K7AAY
    May 31 at 18:08













up vote
2
down vote

favorite









up vote
2
down vote

favorite












This question already has an answer here:



  • How do I change the screen resolution using Ubuntu command line?

    4 answers



i have a laptop with a hidpi display, i'm using ubuntu 18.04 with a resolution of 3840x2160 and 200% scale. Everything software I use looks fine with the exception of one so I would like to write a script so I can automatically change, let's say scaling to 100% and resolution to 1024x768.



Is there a way to do this?



Thanks!







share|improve this question













This question already has an answer here:



  • How do I change the screen resolution using Ubuntu command line?

    4 answers



i have a laptop with a hidpi display, i'm using ubuntu 18.04 with a resolution of 3840x2160 and 200% scale. Everything software I use looks fine with the exception of one so I would like to write a script so I can automatically change, let's say scaling to 100% and resolution to 1024x768.



Is there a way to do this?



Thanks!





This question already has an answer here:



  • How do I change the screen resolution using Ubuntu command line?

    4 answers









share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked May 28 at 22:53









Horacio González

184




184




marked as duplicate by karel, Sergiy Kolodyazhnyy, Goddard, Eric Carvalho, user364819 May 31 at 20:17


This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.






marked as duplicate by karel, Sergiy Kolodyazhnyy, Goddard, Eric Carvalho, user364819 May 31 at 20:17


This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.













  • To reviewers: This duplicate doesn’t address the scaling in any way.
    – dessert
    May 29 at 6:29










  • Suggest you visit askubuntu.com/questions/771673/…
    – K7AAY
    May 31 at 18:08

















  • To reviewers: This duplicate doesn’t address the scaling in any way.
    – dessert
    May 29 at 6:29










  • Suggest you visit askubuntu.com/questions/771673/…
    – K7AAY
    May 31 at 18:08
















To reviewers: This duplicate doesn’t address the scaling in any way.
– dessert
May 29 at 6:29




To reviewers: This duplicate doesn’t address the scaling in any way.
– dessert
May 29 at 6:29












Suggest you visit askubuntu.com/questions/771673/…
– K7AAY
May 31 at 18:08





Suggest you visit askubuntu.com/questions/771673/…
– K7AAY
May 31 at 18:08











1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
2
down vote



accepted










This is an X Server solution and may not work with Wayland.



You can use randr for that, just determine the output name and available modes with xrandr and use the --mode and --scale options to change the settings. Provided this mode already exists, this would change the output DP2 to 3840x2160 with 200% scaling:



xrandr --output DP2 --mode 3840x2160 --scale 2x2


This changes to 1024x768 with 100% scaling:



xrandr --output DP2 --mode 1024x768 --scale 1x1


Further reading:



  • man xrandr

  • How do I change the screen resolution using Ubuntu command line?


To automate this I’d use xdotool, e.g. to call xrandr as soon an xterm window gets focus:



xdotool search --class xterm behave %@ focus exec xrandr





share|improve this answer





























    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes








    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes








    up vote
    2
    down vote



    accepted










    This is an X Server solution and may not work with Wayland.



    You can use randr for that, just determine the output name and available modes with xrandr and use the --mode and --scale options to change the settings. Provided this mode already exists, this would change the output DP2 to 3840x2160 with 200% scaling:



    xrandr --output DP2 --mode 3840x2160 --scale 2x2


    This changes to 1024x768 with 100% scaling:



    xrandr --output DP2 --mode 1024x768 --scale 1x1


    Further reading:



    • man xrandr

    • How do I change the screen resolution using Ubuntu command line?


    To automate this I’d use xdotool, e.g. to call xrandr as soon an xterm window gets focus:



    xdotool search --class xterm behave %@ focus exec xrandr





    share|improve this answer


























      up vote
      2
      down vote



      accepted










      This is an X Server solution and may not work with Wayland.



      You can use randr for that, just determine the output name and available modes with xrandr and use the --mode and --scale options to change the settings. Provided this mode already exists, this would change the output DP2 to 3840x2160 with 200% scaling:



      xrandr --output DP2 --mode 3840x2160 --scale 2x2


      This changes to 1024x768 with 100% scaling:



      xrandr --output DP2 --mode 1024x768 --scale 1x1


      Further reading:



      • man xrandr

      • How do I change the screen resolution using Ubuntu command line?


      To automate this I’d use xdotool, e.g. to call xrandr as soon an xterm window gets focus:



      xdotool search --class xterm behave %@ focus exec xrandr





      share|improve this answer
























        up vote
        2
        down vote



        accepted







        up vote
        2
        down vote



        accepted






        This is an X Server solution and may not work with Wayland.



        You can use randr for that, just determine the output name and available modes with xrandr and use the --mode and --scale options to change the settings. Provided this mode already exists, this would change the output DP2 to 3840x2160 with 200% scaling:



        xrandr --output DP2 --mode 3840x2160 --scale 2x2


        This changes to 1024x768 with 100% scaling:



        xrandr --output DP2 --mode 1024x768 --scale 1x1


        Further reading:



        • man xrandr

        • How do I change the screen resolution using Ubuntu command line?


        To automate this I’d use xdotool, e.g. to call xrandr as soon an xterm window gets focus:



        xdotool search --class xterm behave %@ focus exec xrandr





        share|improve this answer














        This is an X Server solution and may not work with Wayland.



        You can use randr for that, just determine the output name and available modes with xrandr and use the --mode and --scale options to change the settings. Provided this mode already exists, this would change the output DP2 to 3840x2160 with 200% scaling:



        xrandr --output DP2 --mode 3840x2160 --scale 2x2


        This changes to 1024x768 with 100% scaling:



        xrandr --output DP2 --mode 1024x768 --scale 1x1


        Further reading:



        • man xrandr

        • How do I change the screen resolution using Ubuntu command line?


        To automate this I’d use xdotool, e.g. to call xrandr as soon an xterm window gets focus:



        xdotool search --class xterm behave %@ focus exec xrandr






        share|improve this answer














        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer








        edited May 29 at 6:58

























        answered May 29 at 6:46









        dessert

        19.5k55594




        19.5k55594












            Popular posts from this blog

            Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

            How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

            Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error