Grub won't show on startup, no matter what I try

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
1
down vote

favorite
1












I recently, for fun, tried to take an old computer, format it, and install a dual OS (Windows 10 Home and Ubuntu 18.04) I successfully got both of them installed and running, but to switch between them, I have to use the device's boot selector instead of Ubuntu's convenient grub interface. It does show, but not on boot-up. See the image below for the exact boot order.



boot manager diagram
(Click image to enlarge)



No matter what I do, I can't get it to show grub on boot-up. I've tried changing the EFI within Ubuntu (it resets after restart), changing within Windows (no option), changing from BIOS (no option), reinstalling grub like 3 times (no effect) and everything else. Can someone please help me get grub to show on first startup?



Here is the output of sudo parted -l :



Model: ATA ST750LM022 HN-M7 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 750GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:
Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 1049kB 524MB 523MB ntfs Basic data partition hidden, diag
2 524MB 629MB 105MB fat32 EFI system partition boot, esp
3 629MB 646MB 16.8MB Microsoft reserved partition msftres
4 646MB 393GB 393GB ntfs Basic data partition msftdata
5 393GB 744GB 351GB ext4
6 744GB 750GB 6328MB linux-swap(v1)


I checked, both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04 are in UEFI.







share|improve this question


















  • 1




    Are both installed in same boot mode, or both UEFI? And is Windows fast start up off, so grub2's os-prober can see the Windows install? then all you should need is sudo update-grub and then when grub has both entries it will automatically show. askubuntu.com/questions/843153/… If not post this link to details: help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info
    – oldfred
    May 29 at 3:27










  • I did turn off fast boot. I forgot to mention it, but I tried everything I physically could. I'll try that command tomorrow, I need sleep.
    – Hexbugman213
    May 29 at 6:47











  • I think you need to also disable hibernate, then re-enable ubuntu as the default uefi boot. Otherwise when windows tries to hibernate, it will change the uefi settings.
    – pim
    May 29 at 14:19










  • Please boot into Ubuntu and edit your post with the output of sudo parted -l
    – Elder Geek
    May 29 at 15:15










  • pim, When i disabled hibernate it didn't even give me an option for fast boot, so i assumed it was disabled automatically.
    – Hexbugman213
    May 29 at 16:17














up vote
1
down vote

favorite
1












I recently, for fun, tried to take an old computer, format it, and install a dual OS (Windows 10 Home and Ubuntu 18.04) I successfully got both of them installed and running, but to switch between them, I have to use the device's boot selector instead of Ubuntu's convenient grub interface. It does show, but not on boot-up. See the image below for the exact boot order.



boot manager diagram
(Click image to enlarge)



No matter what I do, I can't get it to show grub on boot-up. I've tried changing the EFI within Ubuntu (it resets after restart), changing within Windows (no option), changing from BIOS (no option), reinstalling grub like 3 times (no effect) and everything else. Can someone please help me get grub to show on first startup?



Here is the output of sudo parted -l :



Model: ATA ST750LM022 HN-M7 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 750GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:
Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 1049kB 524MB 523MB ntfs Basic data partition hidden, diag
2 524MB 629MB 105MB fat32 EFI system partition boot, esp
3 629MB 646MB 16.8MB Microsoft reserved partition msftres
4 646MB 393GB 393GB ntfs Basic data partition msftdata
5 393GB 744GB 351GB ext4
6 744GB 750GB 6328MB linux-swap(v1)


I checked, both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04 are in UEFI.







share|improve this question


















  • 1




    Are both installed in same boot mode, or both UEFI? And is Windows fast start up off, so grub2's os-prober can see the Windows install? then all you should need is sudo update-grub and then when grub has both entries it will automatically show. askubuntu.com/questions/843153/… If not post this link to details: help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info
    – oldfred
    May 29 at 3:27










  • I did turn off fast boot. I forgot to mention it, but I tried everything I physically could. I'll try that command tomorrow, I need sleep.
    – Hexbugman213
    May 29 at 6:47











  • I think you need to also disable hibernate, then re-enable ubuntu as the default uefi boot. Otherwise when windows tries to hibernate, it will change the uefi settings.
    – pim
    May 29 at 14:19










  • Please boot into Ubuntu and edit your post with the output of sudo parted -l
    – Elder Geek
    May 29 at 15:15










  • pim, When i disabled hibernate it didn't even give me an option for fast boot, so i assumed it was disabled automatically.
    – Hexbugman213
    May 29 at 16:17












up vote
1
down vote

favorite
1









up vote
1
down vote

favorite
1






1





I recently, for fun, tried to take an old computer, format it, and install a dual OS (Windows 10 Home and Ubuntu 18.04) I successfully got both of them installed and running, but to switch between them, I have to use the device's boot selector instead of Ubuntu's convenient grub interface. It does show, but not on boot-up. See the image below for the exact boot order.



boot manager diagram
(Click image to enlarge)



No matter what I do, I can't get it to show grub on boot-up. I've tried changing the EFI within Ubuntu (it resets after restart), changing within Windows (no option), changing from BIOS (no option), reinstalling grub like 3 times (no effect) and everything else. Can someone please help me get grub to show on first startup?



Here is the output of sudo parted -l :



Model: ATA ST750LM022 HN-M7 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 750GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:
Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 1049kB 524MB 523MB ntfs Basic data partition hidden, diag
2 524MB 629MB 105MB fat32 EFI system partition boot, esp
3 629MB 646MB 16.8MB Microsoft reserved partition msftres
4 646MB 393GB 393GB ntfs Basic data partition msftdata
5 393GB 744GB 351GB ext4
6 744GB 750GB 6328MB linux-swap(v1)


I checked, both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04 are in UEFI.







share|improve this question














I recently, for fun, tried to take an old computer, format it, and install a dual OS (Windows 10 Home and Ubuntu 18.04) I successfully got both of them installed and running, but to switch between them, I have to use the device's boot selector instead of Ubuntu's convenient grub interface. It does show, but not on boot-up. See the image below for the exact boot order.



boot manager diagram
(Click image to enlarge)



No matter what I do, I can't get it to show grub on boot-up. I've tried changing the EFI within Ubuntu (it resets after restart), changing within Windows (no option), changing from BIOS (no option), reinstalling grub like 3 times (no effect) and everything else. Can someone please help me get grub to show on first startup?



Here is the output of sudo parted -l :



Model: ATA ST750LM022 HN-M7 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 750GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:
Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 1049kB 524MB 523MB ntfs Basic data partition hidden, diag
2 524MB 629MB 105MB fat32 EFI system partition boot, esp
3 629MB 646MB 16.8MB Microsoft reserved partition msftres
4 646MB 393GB 393GB ntfs Basic data partition msftdata
5 393GB 744GB 351GB ext4
6 744GB 750GB 6328MB linux-swap(v1)


I checked, both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04 are in UEFI.









share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited May 29 at 18:06









karel

49.6k11105126




49.6k11105126










asked May 29 at 3:05









Hexbugman213

62




62







  • 1




    Are both installed in same boot mode, or both UEFI? And is Windows fast start up off, so grub2's os-prober can see the Windows install? then all you should need is sudo update-grub and then when grub has both entries it will automatically show. askubuntu.com/questions/843153/… If not post this link to details: help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info
    – oldfred
    May 29 at 3:27










  • I did turn off fast boot. I forgot to mention it, but I tried everything I physically could. I'll try that command tomorrow, I need sleep.
    – Hexbugman213
    May 29 at 6:47











  • I think you need to also disable hibernate, then re-enable ubuntu as the default uefi boot. Otherwise when windows tries to hibernate, it will change the uefi settings.
    – pim
    May 29 at 14:19










  • Please boot into Ubuntu and edit your post with the output of sudo parted -l
    – Elder Geek
    May 29 at 15:15










  • pim, When i disabled hibernate it didn't even give me an option for fast boot, so i assumed it was disabled automatically.
    – Hexbugman213
    May 29 at 16:17












  • 1




    Are both installed in same boot mode, or both UEFI? And is Windows fast start up off, so grub2's os-prober can see the Windows install? then all you should need is sudo update-grub and then when grub has both entries it will automatically show. askubuntu.com/questions/843153/… If not post this link to details: help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info
    – oldfred
    May 29 at 3:27










  • I did turn off fast boot. I forgot to mention it, but I tried everything I physically could. I'll try that command tomorrow, I need sleep.
    – Hexbugman213
    May 29 at 6:47











  • I think you need to also disable hibernate, then re-enable ubuntu as the default uefi boot. Otherwise when windows tries to hibernate, it will change the uefi settings.
    – pim
    May 29 at 14:19










  • Please boot into Ubuntu and edit your post with the output of sudo parted -l
    – Elder Geek
    May 29 at 15:15










  • pim, When i disabled hibernate it didn't even give me an option for fast boot, so i assumed it was disabled automatically.
    – Hexbugman213
    May 29 at 16:17







1




1




Are both installed in same boot mode, or both UEFI? And is Windows fast start up off, so grub2's os-prober can see the Windows install? then all you should need is sudo update-grub and then when grub has both entries it will automatically show. askubuntu.com/questions/843153/… If not post this link to details: help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info
– oldfred
May 29 at 3:27




Are both installed in same boot mode, or both UEFI? And is Windows fast start up off, so grub2's os-prober can see the Windows install? then all you should need is sudo update-grub and then when grub has both entries it will automatically show. askubuntu.com/questions/843153/… If not post this link to details: help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info
– oldfred
May 29 at 3:27












I did turn off fast boot. I forgot to mention it, but I tried everything I physically could. I'll try that command tomorrow, I need sleep.
– Hexbugman213
May 29 at 6:47





I did turn off fast boot. I forgot to mention it, but I tried everything I physically could. I'll try that command tomorrow, I need sleep.
– Hexbugman213
May 29 at 6:47













I think you need to also disable hibernate, then re-enable ubuntu as the default uefi boot. Otherwise when windows tries to hibernate, it will change the uefi settings.
– pim
May 29 at 14:19




I think you need to also disable hibernate, then re-enable ubuntu as the default uefi boot. Otherwise when windows tries to hibernate, it will change the uefi settings.
– pim
May 29 at 14:19












Please boot into Ubuntu and edit your post with the output of sudo parted -l
– Elder Geek
May 29 at 15:15




Please boot into Ubuntu and edit your post with the output of sudo parted -l
– Elder Geek
May 29 at 15:15












pim, When i disabled hibernate it didn't even give me an option for fast boot, so i assumed it was disabled automatically.
– Hexbugman213
May 29 at 16:17




pim, When i disabled hibernate it didn't even give me an option for fast boot, so i assumed it was disabled automatically.
– Hexbugman213
May 29 at 16:17















active

oldest

votes











Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);








 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1041414%2fgrub-wont-show-on-startup-no-matter-what-i-try%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest



































active

oldest

votes













active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes










 

draft saved


draft discarded


























 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1041414%2fgrub-wont-show-on-startup-no-matter-what-i-try%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error