systemd job wait for DNS lookup

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
1
down vote

favorite












I've got a startup task via systemd that fails as it is unable to resolve an IP address it should be accessing via DNS. I consistently get and error indicating a Temporary Error in Name Resolution. I've tried various combinations of assigning network-online.target, nss-lookup.target, and systemd-resolved.service to the tasks Wants, Required, and After tags but no dice. I still cannot get the job to start consistently without producing failure on DNS lookup. Any suggestions? Posted an example of what I'm trying to do below.



[Unit]
Description=Does some stuff
Before=multi-user.target
Wants=network-online.target nss-lookup.target systemd-resolved.service
Requires=network-online.target nss-lookup.target systemd-resolved.service
After=network-online.target nss-lookup.target systemd-resolved.service

[Service]
Type=oneshot
User=myuser
SyslogIdentifier=calibration_update
ExecStart=/bin/bash -c 'myservice_command'
RestartSec=5s
Restart=False
LimitNOFILE=1024000

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target









share|improve this question





















  • Did you ever figure out a solution for this?
    – mightimaus
    Aug 4 at 1:14














up vote
1
down vote

favorite












I've got a startup task via systemd that fails as it is unable to resolve an IP address it should be accessing via DNS. I consistently get and error indicating a Temporary Error in Name Resolution. I've tried various combinations of assigning network-online.target, nss-lookup.target, and systemd-resolved.service to the tasks Wants, Required, and After tags but no dice. I still cannot get the job to start consistently without producing failure on DNS lookup. Any suggestions? Posted an example of what I'm trying to do below.



[Unit]
Description=Does some stuff
Before=multi-user.target
Wants=network-online.target nss-lookup.target systemd-resolved.service
Requires=network-online.target nss-lookup.target systemd-resolved.service
After=network-online.target nss-lookup.target systemd-resolved.service

[Service]
Type=oneshot
User=myuser
SyslogIdentifier=calibration_update
ExecStart=/bin/bash -c 'myservice_command'
RestartSec=5s
Restart=False
LimitNOFILE=1024000

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target









share|improve this question





















  • Did you ever figure out a solution for this?
    – mightimaus
    Aug 4 at 1:14












up vote
1
down vote

favorite









up vote
1
down vote

favorite











I've got a startup task via systemd that fails as it is unable to resolve an IP address it should be accessing via DNS. I consistently get and error indicating a Temporary Error in Name Resolution. I've tried various combinations of assigning network-online.target, nss-lookup.target, and systemd-resolved.service to the tasks Wants, Required, and After tags but no dice. I still cannot get the job to start consistently without producing failure on DNS lookup. Any suggestions? Posted an example of what I'm trying to do below.



[Unit]
Description=Does some stuff
Before=multi-user.target
Wants=network-online.target nss-lookup.target systemd-resolved.service
Requires=network-online.target nss-lookup.target systemd-resolved.service
After=network-online.target nss-lookup.target systemd-resolved.service

[Service]
Type=oneshot
User=myuser
SyslogIdentifier=calibration_update
ExecStart=/bin/bash -c 'myservice_command'
RestartSec=5s
Restart=False
LimitNOFILE=1024000

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target









share|improve this question













I've got a startup task via systemd that fails as it is unable to resolve an IP address it should be accessing via DNS. I consistently get and error indicating a Temporary Error in Name Resolution. I've tried various combinations of assigning network-online.target, nss-lookup.target, and systemd-resolved.service to the tasks Wants, Required, and After tags but no dice. I still cannot get the job to start consistently without producing failure on DNS lookup. Any suggestions? Posted an example of what I'm trying to do below.



[Unit]
Description=Does some stuff
Before=multi-user.target
Wants=network-online.target nss-lookup.target systemd-resolved.service
Requires=network-online.target nss-lookup.target systemd-resolved.service
After=network-online.target nss-lookup.target systemd-resolved.service

[Service]
Type=oneshot
User=myuser
SyslogIdentifier=calibration_update
ExecStart=/bin/bash -c 'myservice_command'
RestartSec=5s
Restart=False
LimitNOFILE=1024000

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target






networking dns systemd






share|improve this question













share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Jan 31 at 17:51









David

224




224











  • Did you ever figure out a solution for this?
    – mightimaus
    Aug 4 at 1:14
















  • Did you ever figure out a solution for this?
    – mightimaus
    Aug 4 at 1:14















Did you ever figure out a solution for this?
– mightimaus
Aug 4 at 1:14




Did you ever figure out a solution for this?
– mightimaus
Aug 4 at 1:14















active

oldest

votes











Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1001806%2fsystemd-job-wait-for-dns-lookup%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest



































active

oldest

votes













active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes















 

draft saved


draft discarded















































 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1001806%2fsystemd-job-wait-for-dns-lookup%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error