Re-install isn't using new /home hdd

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












Just re-installed UbuntuGnome 16.04.2 because the last update broke my sound. I also installed a new hdd to use as /home. i felt pretty confident as the last re-install I did was with a separate /home partition and all my settings were there waiting for me.



During the install, I selected the new hdd (sdb) to mount as /home (I had previously copied the original /home contents to the new drive) and told the installer to not use the original /home (sda7). I chose to reformat / and the install went fine.



Except the new drive is mounting at /media/anthony. Nautilus shows a brand new /home directory with empty folders and the new drive with folders 'anthony' and 'Systemback', with the 'anthony' folder containing the old /home contents.



I poked around this thread but everything it said to do was already done (add line to /etc /fstab/ with the new hdd uuid).



anthony@anthony-linux:~$ cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=741c1ab7-19e3-4138-8dd8-95634e26f92f / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /home was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
UUID=e12bfb25-4ed8-4c9e-b6e6-b077619f0560 /home ext4 defaults 0 2
# swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=571d23ca-bf87-4a5d-be6a-3ed7ae1b077c none swap sw 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0


But if I'm in a terminal, I can cd .. to 'root', cd to 'home', and there are the contents from the old /home partition.



anthony@anthony-linux:~$ cd ..
anthony@anthony-linux:/home$ cd ..
anthony@anthony-linux:/$ ls
bin dev initrd.img media proc sbin sys var
boot etc lib mnt root snap tmp vmlinuz
cdrom home lost+found opt run srv usr
anthony@anthony-linux:/$ cd home
anthony@anthony-linux:/home$ ls
1200x600x19mm.dxf
36 hi.skb
36 hi.skp
3d scoring.ods
46ft mid.svg


... and so forth.



The original /home partition remains on the first disk (sda) but unused.



I'd like to get the install to use the new disk as /home (like I chose during the install).



Any help is greatly appreciated!



anthony



Addendum: Gparted is showing me different things ... a screenshot several minutes ago showed the old /home partition but unmounted (sda7)



enter image description here



but after a reboot it now shows the old /home partition with the mount point of the new hdd



enter image description here



Curiouser and curioser ...










share|improve this question





















  • Your fstab shows it mounted sdb1 as /home. Your screen show just shows sda7 mounted as a default mount using its UUID. Are you sure you copied all data from sda7 to sdb1? To move /home uses rsync- Be sure to use parameters to preserve ownership & permissions help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving
    – oldfred
    Jan 31 at 19:45










  • I copied the contents of the original /home partition to the new drive with Nautilus so afaik I got it all. I'm not averse to using rsync or dd if I need to do it over ... the new drive can be re-formatted if need be to start again. I've reinstalled using the original /home partition so at least I have all my settings back on the packages I've re-installed so far (and I have audio!) Now that I've got a working system, I should move my /home from sda7 to sdb by: - reformatting sdb - follow the procedure in the link you provided Thanks again!
    – akwusmc
    Feb 1 at 13:33














up vote
0
down vote

favorite












Just re-installed UbuntuGnome 16.04.2 because the last update broke my sound. I also installed a new hdd to use as /home. i felt pretty confident as the last re-install I did was with a separate /home partition and all my settings were there waiting for me.



During the install, I selected the new hdd (sdb) to mount as /home (I had previously copied the original /home contents to the new drive) and told the installer to not use the original /home (sda7). I chose to reformat / and the install went fine.



Except the new drive is mounting at /media/anthony. Nautilus shows a brand new /home directory with empty folders and the new drive with folders 'anthony' and 'Systemback', with the 'anthony' folder containing the old /home contents.



I poked around this thread but everything it said to do was already done (add line to /etc /fstab/ with the new hdd uuid).



anthony@anthony-linux:~$ cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=741c1ab7-19e3-4138-8dd8-95634e26f92f / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /home was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
UUID=e12bfb25-4ed8-4c9e-b6e6-b077619f0560 /home ext4 defaults 0 2
# swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=571d23ca-bf87-4a5d-be6a-3ed7ae1b077c none swap sw 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0


But if I'm in a terminal, I can cd .. to 'root', cd to 'home', and there are the contents from the old /home partition.



anthony@anthony-linux:~$ cd ..
anthony@anthony-linux:/home$ cd ..
anthony@anthony-linux:/$ ls
bin dev initrd.img media proc sbin sys var
boot etc lib mnt root snap tmp vmlinuz
cdrom home lost+found opt run srv usr
anthony@anthony-linux:/$ cd home
anthony@anthony-linux:/home$ ls
1200x600x19mm.dxf
36 hi.skb
36 hi.skp
3d scoring.ods
46ft mid.svg


... and so forth.



The original /home partition remains on the first disk (sda) but unused.



I'd like to get the install to use the new disk as /home (like I chose during the install).



Any help is greatly appreciated!



anthony



Addendum: Gparted is showing me different things ... a screenshot several minutes ago showed the old /home partition but unmounted (sda7)



enter image description here



but after a reboot it now shows the old /home partition with the mount point of the new hdd



enter image description here



Curiouser and curioser ...










share|improve this question





















  • Your fstab shows it mounted sdb1 as /home. Your screen show just shows sda7 mounted as a default mount using its UUID. Are you sure you copied all data from sda7 to sdb1? To move /home uses rsync- Be sure to use parameters to preserve ownership & permissions help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving
    – oldfred
    Jan 31 at 19:45










  • I copied the contents of the original /home partition to the new drive with Nautilus so afaik I got it all. I'm not averse to using rsync or dd if I need to do it over ... the new drive can be re-formatted if need be to start again. I've reinstalled using the original /home partition so at least I have all my settings back on the packages I've re-installed so far (and I have audio!) Now that I've got a working system, I should move my /home from sda7 to sdb by: - reformatting sdb - follow the procedure in the link you provided Thanks again!
    – akwusmc
    Feb 1 at 13:33












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











Just re-installed UbuntuGnome 16.04.2 because the last update broke my sound. I also installed a new hdd to use as /home. i felt pretty confident as the last re-install I did was with a separate /home partition and all my settings were there waiting for me.



During the install, I selected the new hdd (sdb) to mount as /home (I had previously copied the original /home contents to the new drive) and told the installer to not use the original /home (sda7). I chose to reformat / and the install went fine.



Except the new drive is mounting at /media/anthony. Nautilus shows a brand new /home directory with empty folders and the new drive with folders 'anthony' and 'Systemback', with the 'anthony' folder containing the old /home contents.



I poked around this thread but everything it said to do was already done (add line to /etc /fstab/ with the new hdd uuid).



anthony@anthony-linux:~$ cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=741c1ab7-19e3-4138-8dd8-95634e26f92f / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /home was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
UUID=e12bfb25-4ed8-4c9e-b6e6-b077619f0560 /home ext4 defaults 0 2
# swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=571d23ca-bf87-4a5d-be6a-3ed7ae1b077c none swap sw 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0


But if I'm in a terminal, I can cd .. to 'root', cd to 'home', and there are the contents from the old /home partition.



anthony@anthony-linux:~$ cd ..
anthony@anthony-linux:/home$ cd ..
anthony@anthony-linux:/$ ls
bin dev initrd.img media proc sbin sys var
boot etc lib mnt root snap tmp vmlinuz
cdrom home lost+found opt run srv usr
anthony@anthony-linux:/$ cd home
anthony@anthony-linux:/home$ ls
1200x600x19mm.dxf
36 hi.skb
36 hi.skp
3d scoring.ods
46ft mid.svg


... and so forth.



The original /home partition remains on the first disk (sda) but unused.



I'd like to get the install to use the new disk as /home (like I chose during the install).



Any help is greatly appreciated!



anthony



Addendum: Gparted is showing me different things ... a screenshot several minutes ago showed the old /home partition but unmounted (sda7)



enter image description here



but after a reboot it now shows the old /home partition with the mount point of the new hdd



enter image description here



Curiouser and curioser ...










share|improve this question













Just re-installed UbuntuGnome 16.04.2 because the last update broke my sound. I also installed a new hdd to use as /home. i felt pretty confident as the last re-install I did was with a separate /home partition and all my settings were there waiting for me.



During the install, I selected the new hdd (sdb) to mount as /home (I had previously copied the original /home contents to the new drive) and told the installer to not use the original /home (sda7). I chose to reformat / and the install went fine.



Except the new drive is mounting at /media/anthony. Nautilus shows a brand new /home directory with empty folders and the new drive with folders 'anthony' and 'Systemback', with the 'anthony' folder containing the old /home contents.



I poked around this thread but everything it said to do was already done (add line to /etc /fstab/ with the new hdd uuid).



anthony@anthony-linux:~$ cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=741c1ab7-19e3-4138-8dd8-95634e26f92f / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /home was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
UUID=e12bfb25-4ed8-4c9e-b6e6-b077619f0560 /home ext4 defaults 0 2
# swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=571d23ca-bf87-4a5d-be6a-3ed7ae1b077c none swap sw 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0


But if I'm in a terminal, I can cd .. to 'root', cd to 'home', and there are the contents from the old /home partition.



anthony@anthony-linux:~$ cd ..
anthony@anthony-linux:/home$ cd ..
anthony@anthony-linux:/$ ls
bin dev initrd.img media proc sbin sys var
boot etc lib mnt root snap tmp vmlinuz
cdrom home lost+found opt run srv usr
anthony@anthony-linux:/$ cd home
anthony@anthony-linux:/home$ ls
1200x600x19mm.dxf
36 hi.skb
36 hi.skp
3d scoring.ods
46ft mid.svg


... and so forth.



The original /home partition remains on the first disk (sda) but unused.



I'd like to get the install to use the new disk as /home (like I chose during the install).



Any help is greatly appreciated!



anthony



Addendum: Gparted is showing me different things ... a screenshot several minutes ago showed the old /home partition but unmounted (sda7)



enter image description here



but after a reboot it now shows the old /home partition with the mount point of the new hdd



enter image description here



Curiouser and curioser ...







partitioning home-directory






share|improve this question













share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Jan 31 at 19:12









akwusmc

11




11











  • Your fstab shows it mounted sdb1 as /home. Your screen show just shows sda7 mounted as a default mount using its UUID. Are you sure you copied all data from sda7 to sdb1? To move /home uses rsync- Be sure to use parameters to preserve ownership & permissions help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving
    – oldfred
    Jan 31 at 19:45










  • I copied the contents of the original /home partition to the new drive with Nautilus so afaik I got it all. I'm not averse to using rsync or dd if I need to do it over ... the new drive can be re-formatted if need be to start again. I've reinstalled using the original /home partition so at least I have all my settings back on the packages I've re-installed so far (and I have audio!) Now that I've got a working system, I should move my /home from sda7 to sdb by: - reformatting sdb - follow the procedure in the link you provided Thanks again!
    – akwusmc
    Feb 1 at 13:33
















  • Your fstab shows it mounted sdb1 as /home. Your screen show just shows sda7 mounted as a default mount using its UUID. Are you sure you copied all data from sda7 to sdb1? To move /home uses rsync- Be sure to use parameters to preserve ownership & permissions help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving
    – oldfred
    Jan 31 at 19:45










  • I copied the contents of the original /home partition to the new drive with Nautilus so afaik I got it all. I'm not averse to using rsync or dd if I need to do it over ... the new drive can be re-formatted if need be to start again. I've reinstalled using the original /home partition so at least I have all my settings back on the packages I've re-installed so far (and I have audio!) Now that I've got a working system, I should move my /home from sda7 to sdb by: - reformatting sdb - follow the procedure in the link you provided Thanks again!
    – akwusmc
    Feb 1 at 13:33















Your fstab shows it mounted sdb1 as /home. Your screen show just shows sda7 mounted as a default mount using its UUID. Are you sure you copied all data from sda7 to sdb1? To move /home uses rsync- Be sure to use parameters to preserve ownership & permissions help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving
– oldfred
Jan 31 at 19:45




Your fstab shows it mounted sdb1 as /home. Your screen show just shows sda7 mounted as a default mount using its UUID. Are you sure you copied all data from sda7 to sdb1? To move /home uses rsync- Be sure to use parameters to preserve ownership & permissions help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving
– oldfred
Jan 31 at 19:45












I copied the contents of the original /home partition to the new drive with Nautilus so afaik I got it all. I'm not averse to using rsync or dd if I need to do it over ... the new drive can be re-formatted if need be to start again. I've reinstalled using the original /home partition so at least I have all my settings back on the packages I've re-installed so far (and I have audio!) Now that I've got a working system, I should move my /home from sda7 to sdb by: - reformatting sdb - follow the procedure in the link you provided Thanks again!
– akwusmc
Feb 1 at 13:33




I copied the contents of the original /home partition to the new drive with Nautilus so afaik I got it all. I'm not averse to using rsync or dd if I need to do it over ... the new drive can be re-formatted if need be to start again. I've reinstalled using the original /home partition so at least I have all my settings back on the packages I've re-installed so far (and I have audio!) Now that I've got a working system, I should move my /home from sda7 to sdb by: - reformatting sdb - follow the procedure in the link you provided Thanks again!
– akwusmc
Feb 1 at 13:33















active

oldest

votes











Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1001829%2fre-install-isnt-using-new-home-hdd%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest



































active

oldest

votes













active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes















 

draft saved


draft discarded















































 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1001829%2fre-install-isnt-using-new-home-hdd%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error