Issue booting Ubuntu having to do with Zlib_1.2.9

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I have a dual boot system and it has been working fine for months. In the last day or so I update and now I am having issues booting into Ubuntu. Below is a description of the problem and what I have tried:



  1. after updates booting froze at /dev/sda7: clean xxx/xxx files, xxx/xxx blocks


  2. I read a lot of posts and finally got to the terminal using CRTL + F2 then ran journalctl -b and found that there was an issue with Gnome display manager (error message had to do with not being able to locate /usr/local/lib/Zlib_1.2.9). I then followed the advice in here recommending mv zlib.so.1 to zlib.so.1.old and recreating a symbolic link to /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib.so.1)


  3. This worked and Ubuntu booted normally! SWEET. Then on reboot the computer froze again this time it hung up on clean up any mess left by Odns-up. I rebooted in to recovery mode root and repeated the steps from #2 above. Rebooted and it worked.

Any ideas on how to resolve this so that I do not have to create a backup of zlib.so.1 and a symbolic link every time? The startup process seems to create a new zlib.so.1 file every boot. I think the issue has to do with gdm but not sure how to resolve this. Thank you!







share|improve this question





















  • What version of Ubuntu is this? normally, system applications (such as gdm) wouldn't link to libraries in /usr/local. Can you edit your question with the outputs of find /lib /usr -name 'libz.so*' -ls
    – steeldriver
    Jun 2 at 14:15














up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I have a dual boot system and it has been working fine for months. In the last day or so I update and now I am having issues booting into Ubuntu. Below is a description of the problem and what I have tried:



  1. after updates booting froze at /dev/sda7: clean xxx/xxx files, xxx/xxx blocks


  2. I read a lot of posts and finally got to the terminal using CRTL + F2 then ran journalctl -b and found that there was an issue with Gnome display manager (error message had to do with not being able to locate /usr/local/lib/Zlib_1.2.9). I then followed the advice in here recommending mv zlib.so.1 to zlib.so.1.old and recreating a symbolic link to /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib.so.1)


  3. This worked and Ubuntu booted normally! SWEET. Then on reboot the computer froze again this time it hung up on clean up any mess left by Odns-up. I rebooted in to recovery mode root and repeated the steps from #2 above. Rebooted and it worked.

Any ideas on how to resolve this so that I do not have to create a backup of zlib.so.1 and a symbolic link every time? The startup process seems to create a new zlib.so.1 file every boot. I think the issue has to do with gdm but not sure how to resolve this. Thank you!







share|improve this question





















  • What version of Ubuntu is this? normally, system applications (such as gdm) wouldn't link to libraries in /usr/local. Can you edit your question with the outputs of find /lib /usr -name 'libz.so*' -ls
    – steeldriver
    Jun 2 at 14:15












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











I have a dual boot system and it has been working fine for months. In the last day or so I update and now I am having issues booting into Ubuntu. Below is a description of the problem and what I have tried:



  1. after updates booting froze at /dev/sda7: clean xxx/xxx files, xxx/xxx blocks


  2. I read a lot of posts and finally got to the terminal using CRTL + F2 then ran journalctl -b and found that there was an issue with Gnome display manager (error message had to do with not being able to locate /usr/local/lib/Zlib_1.2.9). I then followed the advice in here recommending mv zlib.so.1 to zlib.so.1.old and recreating a symbolic link to /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib.so.1)


  3. This worked and Ubuntu booted normally! SWEET. Then on reboot the computer froze again this time it hung up on clean up any mess left by Odns-up. I rebooted in to recovery mode root and repeated the steps from #2 above. Rebooted and it worked.

Any ideas on how to resolve this so that I do not have to create a backup of zlib.so.1 and a symbolic link every time? The startup process seems to create a new zlib.so.1 file every boot. I think the issue has to do with gdm but not sure how to resolve this. Thank you!







share|improve this question













I have a dual boot system and it has been working fine for months. In the last day or so I update and now I am having issues booting into Ubuntu. Below is a description of the problem and what I have tried:



  1. after updates booting froze at /dev/sda7: clean xxx/xxx files, xxx/xxx blocks


  2. I read a lot of posts and finally got to the terminal using CRTL + F2 then ran journalctl -b and found that there was an issue with Gnome display manager (error message had to do with not being able to locate /usr/local/lib/Zlib_1.2.9). I then followed the advice in here recommending mv zlib.so.1 to zlib.so.1.old and recreating a symbolic link to /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib.so.1)


  3. This worked and Ubuntu booted normally! SWEET. Then on reboot the computer froze again this time it hung up on clean up any mess left by Odns-up. I rebooted in to recovery mode root and repeated the steps from #2 above. Rebooted and it worked.

Any ideas on how to resolve this so that I do not have to create a backup of zlib.so.1 and a symbolic link every time? The startup process seems to create a new zlib.so.1 file every boot. I think the issue has to do with gdm but not sure how to resolve this. Thank you!









share|improve this question












share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Jun 3 at 9:41









Vlad Spirin

3203417




3203417









asked Jun 2 at 13:00









cdivittorio

11




11











  • What version of Ubuntu is this? normally, system applications (such as gdm) wouldn't link to libraries in /usr/local. Can you edit your question with the outputs of find /lib /usr -name 'libz.so*' -ls
    – steeldriver
    Jun 2 at 14:15
















  • What version of Ubuntu is this? normally, system applications (such as gdm) wouldn't link to libraries in /usr/local. Can you edit your question with the outputs of find /lib /usr -name 'libz.so*' -ls
    – steeldriver
    Jun 2 at 14:15















What version of Ubuntu is this? normally, system applications (such as gdm) wouldn't link to libraries in /usr/local. Can you edit your question with the outputs of find /lib /usr -name 'libz.so*' -ls
– steeldriver
Jun 2 at 14:15




What version of Ubuntu is this? normally, system applications (such as gdm) wouldn't link to libraries in /usr/local. Can you edit your question with the outputs of find /lib /usr -name 'libz.so*' -ls
– steeldriver
Jun 2 at 14:15















active

oldest

votes











Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);








 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1042923%2fissue-booting-ubuntu-having-to-do-with-zlib-1-2-9%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest



































active

oldest

votes













active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes










 

draft saved


draft discarded


























 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1042923%2fissue-booting-ubuntu-having-to-do-with-zlib-1-2-9%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error