How do I set a cron job for every 5 minutes without using the minutes divisible by 5?

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
1
down vote

favorite












I have multiple cron jobs that I want to run every 5 minutes, some of which are memory intensive. As such, I don't want to run them all at the same time. Crontab lets me run a job that looks like



*/5 * * * * * <job>


which runs on the 0th, 5th, 10th, 15th, etc minutes. I'm looking for a way to run a cron job on the 2nd, 7th, 12th, 17th, etc minutes. Is there a way to do that without typing out every minute in that set?







share|improve this question























    up vote
    1
    down vote

    favorite












    I have multiple cron jobs that I want to run every 5 minutes, some of which are memory intensive. As such, I don't want to run them all at the same time. Crontab lets me run a job that looks like



    */5 * * * * * <job>


    which runs on the 0th, 5th, 10th, 15th, etc minutes. I'm looking for a way to run a cron job on the 2nd, 7th, 12th, 17th, etc minutes. Is there a way to do that without typing out every minute in that set?







    share|improve this question





















      up vote
      1
      down vote

      favorite









      up vote
      1
      down vote

      favorite











      I have multiple cron jobs that I want to run every 5 minutes, some of which are memory intensive. As such, I don't want to run them all at the same time. Crontab lets me run a job that looks like



      */5 * * * * * <job>


      which runs on the 0th, 5th, 10th, 15th, etc minutes. I'm looking for a way to run a cron job on the 2nd, 7th, 12th, 17th, etc minutes. Is there a way to do that without typing out every minute in that set?







      share|improve this question











      I have multiple cron jobs that I want to run every 5 minutes, some of which are memory intensive. As such, I don't want to run them all at the same time. Crontab lets me run a job that looks like



      */5 * * * * * <job>


      which runs on the 0th, 5th, 10th, 15th, etc minutes. I'm looking for a way to run a cron job on the 2nd, 7th, 12th, 17th, etc minutes. Is there a way to do that without typing out every minute in that set?









      share|improve this question










      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question









      asked Jun 2 at 0:04









      SarcasticSully

      163111




      163111




















          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes

















          up vote
          2
          down vote



          accepted










          Answer to my own question



          The answer to my question specifically is



          2-59/5 * * * * <job>


          In general, to run a job every nth minute starting at m (with 1≤m<n), it's



          m-59/n * * * * <job>


          The dash means "every minute starting at m and ending at 59, inclusive on both ends."






          share|improve this answer





















            Your Answer







            StackExchange.ready(function()
            var channelOptions =
            tags: "".split(" "),
            id: "89"
            ;
            initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

            StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
            // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
            if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
            StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
            createEditor();
            );

            else
            createEditor();

            );

            function createEditor()
            StackExchange.prepareEditor(
            heartbeatType: 'answer',
            convertImagesToLinks: true,
            noModals: false,
            showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
            reputationToPostImages: 10,
            bindNavPrevention: true,
            postfix: "",
            onDemand: true,
            discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
            ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
            );



            );








             

            draft saved


            draft discarded


















            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1042794%2fhow-do-i-set-a-cron-job-for-every-5-minutes-without-using-the-minutes-divisible%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest






























            1 Answer
            1






            active

            oldest

            votes








            1 Answer
            1






            active

            oldest

            votes









            active

            oldest

            votes






            active

            oldest

            votes








            up vote
            2
            down vote



            accepted










            Answer to my own question



            The answer to my question specifically is



            2-59/5 * * * * <job>


            In general, to run a job every nth minute starting at m (with 1≤m<n), it's



            m-59/n * * * * <job>


            The dash means "every minute starting at m and ending at 59, inclusive on both ends."






            share|improve this answer

























              up vote
              2
              down vote



              accepted










              Answer to my own question



              The answer to my question specifically is



              2-59/5 * * * * <job>


              In general, to run a job every nth minute starting at m (with 1≤m<n), it's



              m-59/n * * * * <job>


              The dash means "every minute starting at m and ending at 59, inclusive on both ends."






              share|improve this answer























                up vote
                2
                down vote



                accepted







                up vote
                2
                down vote



                accepted






                Answer to my own question



                The answer to my question specifically is



                2-59/5 * * * * <job>


                In general, to run a job every nth minute starting at m (with 1≤m<n), it's



                m-59/n * * * * <job>


                The dash means "every minute starting at m and ending at 59, inclusive on both ends."






                share|improve this answer













                Answer to my own question



                The answer to my question specifically is



                2-59/5 * * * * <job>


                In general, to run a job every nth minute starting at m (with 1≤m<n), it's



                m-59/n * * * * <job>


                The dash means "every minute starting at m and ending at 59, inclusive on both ends."







                share|improve this answer













                share|improve this answer



                share|improve this answer











                answered Jun 2 at 0:20









                SarcasticSully

                163111




                163111






















                     

                    draft saved


                    draft discarded


























                     


                    draft saved


                    draft discarded














                    StackExchange.ready(
                    function ()
                    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1042794%2fhow-do-i-set-a-cron-job-for-every-5-minutes-without-using-the-minutes-divisible%23new-answer', 'question_page');

                    );

                    Post as a guest













































































                    Popular posts from this blog

                    Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

                    How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

                    Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error