Blank screen after suspend on 17.10 using NVIDIA and xfce

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
2
down vote

favorite
1












Suspend works with nouveau but it would be nice to get NVIDIA drivers also working. I have tried with 390.12 and older version but the result is the same. Everything was working before upgrade from 17.04.



I made an issue here:
[1] https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1029413/linux/blanc-screen-after-suspend-on-ubuntu-17-10-nvidia-390-12-driver/



And there is a "fix" here:
[2] https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/919984/linux/-solved-resume-from-suspend-not-working-with-980-ti-drivers-352-370-kernels-3-16-4-4/7



Older question here:
[3] black screen after resuming from suspend










share|improve this question





















  • are you able to solve this issue ? I am still battling when on nvidia using 17.10
    – Scott Stensland
    Feb 22 at 12:27










  • Nope. I think this is the discussion which we should follow: devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1017185/linux/…
    – TipiT
    Jun 21 at 14:51














up vote
2
down vote

favorite
1












Suspend works with nouveau but it would be nice to get NVIDIA drivers also working. I have tried with 390.12 and older version but the result is the same. Everything was working before upgrade from 17.04.



I made an issue here:
[1] https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1029413/linux/blanc-screen-after-suspend-on-ubuntu-17-10-nvidia-390-12-driver/



And there is a "fix" here:
[2] https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/919984/linux/-solved-resume-from-suspend-not-working-with-980-ti-drivers-352-370-kernels-3-16-4-4/7



Older question here:
[3] black screen after resuming from suspend










share|improve this question





















  • are you able to solve this issue ? I am still battling when on nvidia using 17.10
    – Scott Stensland
    Feb 22 at 12:27










  • Nope. I think this is the discussion which we should follow: devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1017185/linux/…
    – TipiT
    Jun 21 at 14:51












up vote
2
down vote

favorite
1









up vote
2
down vote

favorite
1






1





Suspend works with nouveau but it would be nice to get NVIDIA drivers also working. I have tried with 390.12 and older version but the result is the same. Everything was working before upgrade from 17.04.



I made an issue here:
[1] https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1029413/linux/blanc-screen-after-suspend-on-ubuntu-17-10-nvidia-390-12-driver/



And there is a "fix" here:
[2] https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/919984/linux/-solved-resume-from-suspend-not-working-with-980-ti-drivers-352-370-kernels-3-16-4-4/7



Older question here:
[3] black screen after resuming from suspend










share|improve this question













Suspend works with nouveau but it would be nice to get NVIDIA drivers also working. I have tried with 390.12 and older version but the result is the same. Everything was working before upgrade from 17.04.



I made an issue here:
[1] https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1029413/linux/blanc-screen-after-suspend-on-ubuntu-17-10-nvidia-390-12-driver/



And there is a "fix" here:
[2] https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/919984/linux/-solved-resume-from-suspend-not-working-with-980-ti-drivers-352-370-kernels-3-16-4-4/7



Older question here:
[3] black screen after resuming from suspend







drivers nvidia suspend 17.10 xfce






share|improve this question













share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Feb 2 at 14:27









TipiT

113




113











  • are you able to solve this issue ? I am still battling when on nvidia using 17.10
    – Scott Stensland
    Feb 22 at 12:27










  • Nope. I think this is the discussion which we should follow: devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1017185/linux/…
    – TipiT
    Jun 21 at 14:51
















  • are you able to solve this issue ? I am still battling when on nvidia using 17.10
    – Scott Stensland
    Feb 22 at 12:27










  • Nope. I think this is the discussion which we should follow: devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1017185/linux/…
    – TipiT
    Jun 21 at 14:51















are you able to solve this issue ? I am still battling when on nvidia using 17.10
– Scott Stensland
Feb 22 at 12:27




are you able to solve this issue ? I am still battling when on nvidia using 17.10
– Scott Stensland
Feb 22 at 12:27












Nope. I think this is the discussion which we should follow: devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1017185/linux/…
– TipiT
Jun 21 at 14:51




Nope. I think this is the discussion which we should follow: devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1017185/linux/…
– TipiT
Jun 21 at 14:51










3 Answers
3






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
1
down vote













Ooh, you are another fellow victim of the Nvidia-related bricking that royally ticked me off on Tuesday. Here's what I did to un-brick myself. Start your computer, make sure it doesn't suspend while you're doing all this.



sudo apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r)


After that:



sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-396


cross fingers, reboot and you should be in business. Worked for me.






share|improve this answer






















  • I got all up to date. It is definitely a bug: devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1017185/linux/…
    – TipiT
    Jun 21 at 14:53

















up vote
0
down vote













I've been looking for a solution for several months with no hope. I ran into many posts about this suspend/resume issue related to Nvidia graphics under Linux.



I tried many things, none worked:



  1. Playing with kernel parameters.

  2. Blacklisted nouveau module, even removed it completely (package: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau).

  3. Reinstalled Nvidia proprietary drivers.

Recently, I tried something and it seems working so far.



Simply run the nvidia-settings tool as a root and save its settings into an X Configuration File. You could save the file as /etc/X11/xorg.conf (used to be the default location for xorg configuration) or as a conf file under /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory.



I will update this post if this solution stopped working. By the way, I tried this solution after removing nouveau that didn't solve the issue. So I am not sure if it was the conf file alone or a combination of creating the conf file and removing nouveau.



My system: Kubuntu 18.04, desktop, Nvidia-390 proprietary drivers.



Update:
It worked for three suspends in a row, but stopped the forth time. It was suspended for 7 hours, and it woke up to a blank screen.






share|improve this answer





























    up vote
    0
    down vote













    I was able to solve it by adding nomodeset to the grub file




    1. Edit the grub file



      sudo nano /etc/default/grub



    2. add the word nomodeset to the end of the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT string, so, if it was



      GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" 


      it will now be



      GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"


    3. Ctrl+O to save and press Enter



    4. update grub2 (or just grub on older distros):



      sudo update-grub2


    5. reboot






    share|improve this answer






















      Your Answer







      StackExchange.ready(function()
      var channelOptions =
      tags: "".split(" "),
      id: "89"
      ;
      initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

      StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
      // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
      if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
      StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
      createEditor();
      );

      else
      createEditor();

      );

      function createEditor()
      StackExchange.prepareEditor(
      heartbeatType: 'answer',
      convertImagesToLinks: true,
      noModals: false,
      showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
      reputationToPostImages: 10,
      bindNavPrevention: true,
      postfix: "",
      onDemand: true,
      discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
      ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
      );



      );













       

      draft saved


      draft discarded


















      StackExchange.ready(
      function ()
      StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1002385%2fblank-screen-after-suspend-on-17-10-using-nvidia-and-xfce%23new-answer', 'question_page');

      );

      Post as a guest






























      3 Answers
      3






      active

      oldest

      votes








      3 Answers
      3






      active

      oldest

      votes









      active

      oldest

      votes






      active

      oldest

      votes








      up vote
      1
      down vote













      Ooh, you are another fellow victim of the Nvidia-related bricking that royally ticked me off on Tuesday. Here's what I did to un-brick myself. Start your computer, make sure it doesn't suspend while you're doing all this.



      sudo apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r)


      After that:



      sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get install nvidia-396


      cross fingers, reboot and you should be in business. Worked for me.






      share|improve this answer






















      • I got all up to date. It is definitely a bug: devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1017185/linux/…
        – TipiT
        Jun 21 at 14:53














      up vote
      1
      down vote













      Ooh, you are another fellow victim of the Nvidia-related bricking that royally ticked me off on Tuesday. Here's what I did to un-brick myself. Start your computer, make sure it doesn't suspend while you're doing all this.



      sudo apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r)


      After that:



      sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get install nvidia-396


      cross fingers, reboot and you should be in business. Worked for me.






      share|improve this answer






















      • I got all up to date. It is definitely a bug: devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1017185/linux/…
        – TipiT
        Jun 21 at 14:53












      up vote
      1
      down vote










      up vote
      1
      down vote









      Ooh, you are another fellow victim of the Nvidia-related bricking that royally ticked me off on Tuesday. Here's what I did to un-brick myself. Start your computer, make sure it doesn't suspend while you're doing all this.



      sudo apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r)


      After that:



      sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get install nvidia-396


      cross fingers, reboot and you should be in business. Worked for me.






      share|improve this answer














      Ooh, you are another fellow victim of the Nvidia-related bricking that royally ticked me off on Tuesday. Here's what I did to un-brick myself. Start your computer, make sure it doesn't suspend while you're doing all this.



      sudo apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r)


      After that:



      sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get install nvidia-396


      cross fingers, reboot and you should be in business. Worked for me.







      share|improve this answer














      share|improve this answer



      share|improve this answer








      edited Jun 29 at 20:31









      Scott Stensland

      4,22942239




      4,22942239










      answered Apr 27 at 16:36









      Mara Jade

      364




      364











      • I got all up to date. It is definitely a bug: devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1017185/linux/…
        – TipiT
        Jun 21 at 14:53
















      • I got all up to date. It is definitely a bug: devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1017185/linux/…
        – TipiT
        Jun 21 at 14:53















      I got all up to date. It is definitely a bug: devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1017185/linux/…
      – TipiT
      Jun 21 at 14:53




      I got all up to date. It is definitely a bug: devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1017185/linux/…
      – TipiT
      Jun 21 at 14:53












      up vote
      0
      down vote













      I've been looking for a solution for several months with no hope. I ran into many posts about this suspend/resume issue related to Nvidia graphics under Linux.



      I tried many things, none worked:



      1. Playing with kernel parameters.

      2. Blacklisted nouveau module, even removed it completely (package: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau).

      3. Reinstalled Nvidia proprietary drivers.

      Recently, I tried something and it seems working so far.



      Simply run the nvidia-settings tool as a root and save its settings into an X Configuration File. You could save the file as /etc/X11/xorg.conf (used to be the default location for xorg configuration) or as a conf file under /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory.



      I will update this post if this solution stopped working. By the way, I tried this solution after removing nouveau that didn't solve the issue. So I am not sure if it was the conf file alone or a combination of creating the conf file and removing nouveau.



      My system: Kubuntu 18.04, desktop, Nvidia-390 proprietary drivers.



      Update:
      It worked for three suspends in a row, but stopped the forth time. It was suspended for 7 hours, and it woke up to a blank screen.






      share|improve this answer


























        up vote
        0
        down vote













        I've been looking for a solution for several months with no hope. I ran into many posts about this suspend/resume issue related to Nvidia graphics under Linux.



        I tried many things, none worked:



        1. Playing with kernel parameters.

        2. Blacklisted nouveau module, even removed it completely (package: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau).

        3. Reinstalled Nvidia proprietary drivers.

        Recently, I tried something and it seems working so far.



        Simply run the nvidia-settings tool as a root and save its settings into an X Configuration File. You could save the file as /etc/X11/xorg.conf (used to be the default location for xorg configuration) or as a conf file under /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory.



        I will update this post if this solution stopped working. By the way, I tried this solution after removing nouveau that didn't solve the issue. So I am not sure if it was the conf file alone or a combination of creating the conf file and removing nouveau.



        My system: Kubuntu 18.04, desktop, Nvidia-390 proprietary drivers.



        Update:
        It worked for three suspends in a row, but stopped the forth time. It was suspended for 7 hours, and it woke up to a blank screen.






        share|improve this answer
























          up vote
          0
          down vote










          up vote
          0
          down vote









          I've been looking for a solution for several months with no hope. I ran into many posts about this suspend/resume issue related to Nvidia graphics under Linux.



          I tried many things, none worked:



          1. Playing with kernel parameters.

          2. Blacklisted nouveau module, even removed it completely (package: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau).

          3. Reinstalled Nvidia proprietary drivers.

          Recently, I tried something and it seems working so far.



          Simply run the nvidia-settings tool as a root and save its settings into an X Configuration File. You could save the file as /etc/X11/xorg.conf (used to be the default location for xorg configuration) or as a conf file under /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory.



          I will update this post if this solution stopped working. By the way, I tried this solution after removing nouveau that didn't solve the issue. So I am not sure if it was the conf file alone or a combination of creating the conf file and removing nouveau.



          My system: Kubuntu 18.04, desktop, Nvidia-390 proprietary drivers.



          Update:
          It worked for three suspends in a row, but stopped the forth time. It was suspended for 7 hours, and it woke up to a blank screen.






          share|improve this answer














          I've been looking for a solution for several months with no hope. I ran into many posts about this suspend/resume issue related to Nvidia graphics under Linux.



          I tried many things, none worked:



          1. Playing with kernel parameters.

          2. Blacklisted nouveau module, even removed it completely (package: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau).

          3. Reinstalled Nvidia proprietary drivers.

          Recently, I tried something and it seems working so far.



          Simply run the nvidia-settings tool as a root and save its settings into an X Configuration File. You could save the file as /etc/X11/xorg.conf (used to be the default location for xorg configuration) or as a conf file under /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory.



          I will update this post if this solution stopped working. By the way, I tried this solution after removing nouveau that didn't solve the issue. So I am not sure if it was the conf file alone or a combination of creating the conf file and removing nouveau.



          My system: Kubuntu 18.04, desktop, Nvidia-390 proprietary drivers.



          Update:
          It worked for three suspends in a row, but stopped the forth time. It was suspended for 7 hours, and it woke up to a blank screen.







          share|improve this answer














          share|improve this answer



          share|improve this answer








          edited Sep 25 at 15:58

























          answered Sep 25 at 4:02









          mohammad.yousef

          12




          12




















              up vote
              0
              down vote













              I was able to solve it by adding nomodeset to the grub file




              1. Edit the grub file



                sudo nano /etc/default/grub



              2. add the word nomodeset to the end of the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT string, so, if it was



                GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" 


                it will now be



                GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"


              3. Ctrl+O to save and press Enter



              4. update grub2 (or just grub on older distros):



                sudo update-grub2


              5. reboot






              share|improve this answer


























                up vote
                0
                down vote













                I was able to solve it by adding nomodeset to the grub file




                1. Edit the grub file



                  sudo nano /etc/default/grub



                2. add the word nomodeset to the end of the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT string, so, if it was



                  GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" 


                  it will now be



                  GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"


                3. Ctrl+O to save and press Enter



                4. update grub2 (or just grub on older distros):



                  sudo update-grub2


                5. reboot






                share|improve this answer
























                  up vote
                  0
                  down vote










                  up vote
                  0
                  down vote









                  I was able to solve it by adding nomodeset to the grub file




                  1. Edit the grub file



                    sudo nano /etc/default/grub



                  2. add the word nomodeset to the end of the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT string, so, if it was



                    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" 


                    it will now be



                    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"


                  3. Ctrl+O to save and press Enter



                  4. update grub2 (or just grub on older distros):



                    sudo update-grub2


                  5. reboot






                  share|improve this answer














                  I was able to solve it by adding nomodeset to the grub file




                  1. Edit the grub file



                    sudo nano /etc/default/grub



                  2. add the word nomodeset to the end of the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT string, so, if it was



                    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" 


                    it will now be



                    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"


                  3. Ctrl+O to save and press Enter



                  4. update grub2 (or just grub on older distros):



                    sudo update-grub2


                  5. reboot







                  share|improve this answer














                  share|improve this answer



                  share|improve this answer








                  edited 21 hours ago









                  abu_bua

                  2,35241021




                  2,35241021










                  answered Sep 25 at 4:54









                  Jatin-CBS

                  1489




                  1489



























                       

                      draft saved


                      draft discarded















































                       


                      draft saved


                      draft discarded














                      StackExchange.ready(
                      function ()
                      StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1002385%2fblank-screen-after-suspend-on-17-10-using-nvidia-and-xfce%23new-answer', 'question_page');

                      );

                      Post as a guest













































































                      Popular posts from this blog

                      Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

                      How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

                      Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error