GNU GRUB terminal screen when upgraded to Ubuntu 18.04

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I tried to upgrade my Ubuntu to the recently released 18.04 LTS from the 16.04 version. After the install when I powered it off and then on, I was taken to the GRUB screen instead of the normal booting. I tried to follow the steps in the this answer here: GNU GRUB Terminal - Instead of Ubuntu login screen



Here's a run down of what I have typed:




set pager=1

set root=(hd0, 1)

linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-20-generic root=/dev/sda1

initrd /boot/initrd.img-4.13.0-32-generic

boot




That showed me some error in initramfs shell like




ALERT /dev/sda1 does not exit dropping to shell




I realised that my root system location might not be in sda1. So, I tried the steps again with different sda's. When I am doing that I now get this error:




error: disk `(hd0, ' not found.




Please help.







share|improve this question




















  • Don't do these lines randomly you can use command ls /dev/sda1,2.. and verfify which one is root.
    – Debian_yadav
    Apr 30 at 12:58










  • I'm sorry I didn't get you @Debian_yadav. How do I verify my root again? Typing exactly ls /dev/sda1,2.. gives an invalid file name error. I'm sorry for asking such a naive question :/
    – Nityesh Agarwal
    Apr 30 at 13:06











  • By 1,2... I meant try /dev/sda1 then /dev/sda2 that is a variable entry. And it not solution it is to improve your method of searching.
    – Debian_yadav
    Apr 30 at 13:12










  • Please provide the output of typing ls.
    – ApolloLV
    May 2 at 15:13














up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I tried to upgrade my Ubuntu to the recently released 18.04 LTS from the 16.04 version. After the install when I powered it off and then on, I was taken to the GRUB screen instead of the normal booting. I tried to follow the steps in the this answer here: GNU GRUB Terminal - Instead of Ubuntu login screen



Here's a run down of what I have typed:




set pager=1

set root=(hd0, 1)

linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-20-generic root=/dev/sda1

initrd /boot/initrd.img-4.13.0-32-generic

boot




That showed me some error in initramfs shell like




ALERT /dev/sda1 does not exit dropping to shell




I realised that my root system location might not be in sda1. So, I tried the steps again with different sda's. When I am doing that I now get this error:




error: disk `(hd0, ' not found.




Please help.







share|improve this question




















  • Don't do these lines randomly you can use command ls /dev/sda1,2.. and verfify which one is root.
    – Debian_yadav
    Apr 30 at 12:58










  • I'm sorry I didn't get you @Debian_yadav. How do I verify my root again? Typing exactly ls /dev/sda1,2.. gives an invalid file name error. I'm sorry for asking such a naive question :/
    – Nityesh Agarwal
    Apr 30 at 13:06











  • By 1,2... I meant try /dev/sda1 then /dev/sda2 that is a variable entry. And it not solution it is to improve your method of searching.
    – Debian_yadav
    Apr 30 at 13:12










  • Please provide the output of typing ls.
    – ApolloLV
    May 2 at 15:13












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











I tried to upgrade my Ubuntu to the recently released 18.04 LTS from the 16.04 version. After the install when I powered it off and then on, I was taken to the GRUB screen instead of the normal booting. I tried to follow the steps in the this answer here: GNU GRUB Terminal - Instead of Ubuntu login screen



Here's a run down of what I have typed:




set pager=1

set root=(hd0, 1)

linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-20-generic root=/dev/sda1

initrd /boot/initrd.img-4.13.0-32-generic

boot




That showed me some error in initramfs shell like




ALERT /dev/sda1 does not exit dropping to shell




I realised that my root system location might not be in sda1. So, I tried the steps again with different sda's. When I am doing that I now get this error:




error: disk `(hd0, ' not found.




Please help.







share|improve this question












I tried to upgrade my Ubuntu to the recently released 18.04 LTS from the 16.04 version. After the install when I powered it off and then on, I was taken to the GRUB screen instead of the normal booting. I tried to follow the steps in the this answer here: GNU GRUB Terminal - Instead of Ubuntu login screen



Here's a run down of what I have typed:




set pager=1

set root=(hd0, 1)

linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-20-generic root=/dev/sda1

initrd /boot/initrd.img-4.13.0-32-generic

boot




That showed me some error in initramfs shell like




ALERT /dev/sda1 does not exit dropping to shell




I realised that my root system location might not be in sda1. So, I tried the steps again with different sda's. When I am doing that I now get this error:




error: disk `(hd0, ' not found.




Please help.









share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Apr 30 at 12:53









Nityesh Agarwal

13




13











  • Don't do these lines randomly you can use command ls /dev/sda1,2.. and verfify which one is root.
    – Debian_yadav
    Apr 30 at 12:58










  • I'm sorry I didn't get you @Debian_yadav. How do I verify my root again? Typing exactly ls /dev/sda1,2.. gives an invalid file name error. I'm sorry for asking such a naive question :/
    – Nityesh Agarwal
    Apr 30 at 13:06











  • By 1,2... I meant try /dev/sda1 then /dev/sda2 that is a variable entry. And it not solution it is to improve your method of searching.
    – Debian_yadav
    Apr 30 at 13:12










  • Please provide the output of typing ls.
    – ApolloLV
    May 2 at 15:13
















  • Don't do these lines randomly you can use command ls /dev/sda1,2.. and verfify which one is root.
    – Debian_yadav
    Apr 30 at 12:58










  • I'm sorry I didn't get you @Debian_yadav. How do I verify my root again? Typing exactly ls /dev/sda1,2.. gives an invalid file name error. I'm sorry for asking such a naive question :/
    – Nityesh Agarwal
    Apr 30 at 13:06











  • By 1,2... I meant try /dev/sda1 then /dev/sda2 that is a variable entry. And it not solution it is to improve your method of searching.
    – Debian_yadav
    Apr 30 at 13:12










  • Please provide the output of typing ls.
    – ApolloLV
    May 2 at 15:13















Don't do these lines randomly you can use command ls /dev/sda1,2.. and verfify which one is root.
– Debian_yadav
Apr 30 at 12:58




Don't do these lines randomly you can use command ls /dev/sda1,2.. and verfify which one is root.
– Debian_yadav
Apr 30 at 12:58












I'm sorry I didn't get you @Debian_yadav. How do I verify my root again? Typing exactly ls /dev/sda1,2.. gives an invalid file name error. I'm sorry for asking such a naive question :/
– Nityesh Agarwal
Apr 30 at 13:06





I'm sorry I didn't get you @Debian_yadav. How do I verify my root again? Typing exactly ls /dev/sda1,2.. gives an invalid file name error. I'm sorry for asking such a naive question :/
– Nityesh Agarwal
Apr 30 at 13:06













By 1,2... I meant try /dev/sda1 then /dev/sda2 that is a variable entry. And it not solution it is to improve your method of searching.
– Debian_yadav
Apr 30 at 13:12




By 1,2... I meant try /dev/sda1 then /dev/sda2 that is a variable entry. And it not solution it is to improve your method of searching.
– Debian_yadav
Apr 30 at 13:12












Please provide the output of typing ls.
– ApolloLV
May 2 at 15:13




Please provide the output of typing ls.
– ApolloLV
May 2 at 15:13















active

oldest

votes











Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);








 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1030108%2fgnu-grub-terminal-screen-when-upgraded-to-ubuntu-18-04%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest



































active

oldest

votes













active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes










 

draft saved


draft discarded


























 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1030108%2fgnu-grub-terminal-screen-when-upgraded-to-ubuntu-18-04%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error