Getting “Invalid Partition Table” after installing 16.04 LTS on Windows 10 laptop

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












Greeting from Vietnam. I'm totally new with Linux, but really want to start learning.



My first try was installing Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on my W10 laptop. I followed instructions on the Internet and successfully installed the Ubuntu and really got excited
But when I tried to restart the machine, then it does not allow me to directly boot to either Windows or Ubuntu. All I got is always the message "Invalid Partition Table".



To proceed further, I have to choose try Ubuntu (after choosing to boot from the USB), or press F12 (for Dell laptop - in my case) and choose Windows Boot Manager.



After searching for several solutions on the Internet, I came up with the GParted table as below (I could not insert the picture as a new registration)



/dev/sda6 (w/ key icon) ----- linux-swap ----- (no flag)
/dev/sda7 ----- ext4 ----- (no flag)
/dev/sda8 ----- unkown ----- bios_grub


So anyone please can help to solve my problem?



Many thanks for any help!










share|improve this question























  • "instructions on the internet" seems a bit vague. Please edit your question to provide a link to the exact instructions you followed.
    – user535733
    Feb 24 at 17:27










  • "instructions on the internet" doesn't help us understand where you went wrong. However, for your convenience, you can take help from this link https://www.tecmint.com/install-ubuntu-16-04-alongside-with-windows-10-or-8-in-dual-boot/ I am sure this link will help you understand where you went wrong in installation process. Also, for "Invalid partition table" on boot, may be this link https://neosmart.net/wiki/invalid-partition-table/ helps you.
    – mAnN
    Feb 24 at 17:57










  • Thank you user535733 for your comment, but to be honest I did not remember which link that I followed, as at that time I was seeing several websites.
    – manhcuong2407
    Feb 25 at 7:04










  • @mAnN: thanks a lot for your recommendation. I will try those links and come back to you soon.
    – manhcuong2407
    Feb 25 at 7:06










  • sure @manhcuong2407. Will wait for your updates.
    – mAnN
    Feb 25 at 7:22














up vote
0
down vote

favorite












Greeting from Vietnam. I'm totally new with Linux, but really want to start learning.



My first try was installing Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on my W10 laptop. I followed instructions on the Internet and successfully installed the Ubuntu and really got excited
But when I tried to restart the machine, then it does not allow me to directly boot to either Windows or Ubuntu. All I got is always the message "Invalid Partition Table".



To proceed further, I have to choose try Ubuntu (after choosing to boot from the USB), or press F12 (for Dell laptop - in my case) and choose Windows Boot Manager.



After searching for several solutions on the Internet, I came up with the GParted table as below (I could not insert the picture as a new registration)



/dev/sda6 (w/ key icon) ----- linux-swap ----- (no flag)
/dev/sda7 ----- ext4 ----- (no flag)
/dev/sda8 ----- unkown ----- bios_grub


So anyone please can help to solve my problem?



Many thanks for any help!










share|improve this question























  • "instructions on the internet" seems a bit vague. Please edit your question to provide a link to the exact instructions you followed.
    – user535733
    Feb 24 at 17:27










  • "instructions on the internet" doesn't help us understand where you went wrong. However, for your convenience, you can take help from this link https://www.tecmint.com/install-ubuntu-16-04-alongside-with-windows-10-or-8-in-dual-boot/ I am sure this link will help you understand where you went wrong in installation process. Also, for "Invalid partition table" on boot, may be this link https://neosmart.net/wiki/invalid-partition-table/ helps you.
    – mAnN
    Feb 24 at 17:57










  • Thank you user535733 for your comment, but to be honest I did not remember which link that I followed, as at that time I was seeing several websites.
    – manhcuong2407
    Feb 25 at 7:04










  • @mAnN: thanks a lot for your recommendation. I will try those links and come back to you soon.
    – manhcuong2407
    Feb 25 at 7:06










  • sure @manhcuong2407. Will wait for your updates.
    – mAnN
    Feb 25 at 7:22












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











Greeting from Vietnam. I'm totally new with Linux, but really want to start learning.



My first try was installing Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on my W10 laptop. I followed instructions on the Internet and successfully installed the Ubuntu and really got excited
But when I tried to restart the machine, then it does not allow me to directly boot to either Windows or Ubuntu. All I got is always the message "Invalid Partition Table".



To proceed further, I have to choose try Ubuntu (after choosing to boot from the USB), or press F12 (for Dell laptop - in my case) and choose Windows Boot Manager.



After searching for several solutions on the Internet, I came up with the GParted table as below (I could not insert the picture as a new registration)



/dev/sda6 (w/ key icon) ----- linux-swap ----- (no flag)
/dev/sda7 ----- ext4 ----- (no flag)
/dev/sda8 ----- unkown ----- bios_grub


So anyone please can help to solve my problem?



Many thanks for any help!










share|improve this question















Greeting from Vietnam. I'm totally new with Linux, but really want to start learning.



My first try was installing Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on my W10 laptop. I followed instructions on the Internet and successfully installed the Ubuntu and really got excited
But when I tried to restart the machine, then it does not allow me to directly boot to either Windows or Ubuntu. All I got is always the message "Invalid Partition Table".



To proceed further, I have to choose try Ubuntu (after choosing to boot from the USB), or press F12 (for Dell laptop - in my case) and choose Windows Boot Manager.



After searching for several solutions on the Internet, I came up with the GParted table as below (I could not insert the picture as a new registration)



/dev/sda6 (w/ key icon) ----- linux-swap ----- (no flag)
/dev/sda7 ----- ext4 ----- (no flag)
/dev/sda8 ----- unkown ----- bios_grub


So anyone please can help to solve my problem?



Many thanks for any help!







16.04 partitioning






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Feb 24 at 16:49









George Udosen

17.3k93861




17.3k93861










asked Feb 24 at 16:45









manhcuong2407

11




11











  • "instructions on the internet" seems a bit vague. Please edit your question to provide a link to the exact instructions you followed.
    – user535733
    Feb 24 at 17:27










  • "instructions on the internet" doesn't help us understand where you went wrong. However, for your convenience, you can take help from this link https://www.tecmint.com/install-ubuntu-16-04-alongside-with-windows-10-or-8-in-dual-boot/ I am sure this link will help you understand where you went wrong in installation process. Also, for "Invalid partition table" on boot, may be this link https://neosmart.net/wiki/invalid-partition-table/ helps you.
    – mAnN
    Feb 24 at 17:57










  • Thank you user535733 for your comment, but to be honest I did not remember which link that I followed, as at that time I was seeing several websites.
    – manhcuong2407
    Feb 25 at 7:04










  • @mAnN: thanks a lot for your recommendation. I will try those links and come back to you soon.
    – manhcuong2407
    Feb 25 at 7:06










  • sure @manhcuong2407. Will wait for your updates.
    – mAnN
    Feb 25 at 7:22
















  • "instructions on the internet" seems a bit vague. Please edit your question to provide a link to the exact instructions you followed.
    – user535733
    Feb 24 at 17:27










  • "instructions on the internet" doesn't help us understand where you went wrong. However, for your convenience, you can take help from this link https://www.tecmint.com/install-ubuntu-16-04-alongside-with-windows-10-or-8-in-dual-boot/ I am sure this link will help you understand where you went wrong in installation process. Also, for "Invalid partition table" on boot, may be this link https://neosmart.net/wiki/invalid-partition-table/ helps you.
    – mAnN
    Feb 24 at 17:57










  • Thank you user535733 for your comment, but to be honest I did not remember which link that I followed, as at that time I was seeing several websites.
    – manhcuong2407
    Feb 25 at 7:04










  • @mAnN: thanks a lot for your recommendation. I will try those links and come back to you soon.
    – manhcuong2407
    Feb 25 at 7:06










  • sure @manhcuong2407. Will wait for your updates.
    – mAnN
    Feb 25 at 7:22















"instructions on the internet" seems a bit vague. Please edit your question to provide a link to the exact instructions you followed.
– user535733
Feb 24 at 17:27




"instructions on the internet" seems a bit vague. Please edit your question to provide a link to the exact instructions you followed.
– user535733
Feb 24 at 17:27












"instructions on the internet" doesn't help us understand where you went wrong. However, for your convenience, you can take help from this link https://www.tecmint.com/install-ubuntu-16-04-alongside-with-windows-10-or-8-in-dual-boot/ I am sure this link will help you understand where you went wrong in installation process. Also, for "Invalid partition table" on boot, may be this link https://neosmart.net/wiki/invalid-partition-table/ helps you.
– mAnN
Feb 24 at 17:57




"instructions on the internet" doesn't help us understand where you went wrong. However, for your convenience, you can take help from this link https://www.tecmint.com/install-ubuntu-16-04-alongside-with-windows-10-or-8-in-dual-boot/ I am sure this link will help you understand where you went wrong in installation process. Also, for "Invalid partition table" on boot, may be this link https://neosmart.net/wiki/invalid-partition-table/ helps you.
– mAnN
Feb 24 at 17:57












Thank you user535733 for your comment, but to be honest I did not remember which link that I followed, as at that time I was seeing several websites.
– manhcuong2407
Feb 25 at 7:04




Thank you user535733 for your comment, but to be honest I did not remember which link that I followed, as at that time I was seeing several websites.
– manhcuong2407
Feb 25 at 7:04












@mAnN: thanks a lot for your recommendation. I will try those links and come back to you soon.
– manhcuong2407
Feb 25 at 7:06




@mAnN: thanks a lot for your recommendation. I will try those links and come back to you soon.
– manhcuong2407
Feb 25 at 7:06












sure @manhcuong2407. Will wait for your updates.
– mAnN
Feb 25 at 7:22




sure @manhcuong2407. Will wait for your updates.
– mAnN
Feb 25 at 7:22















active

oldest

votes











Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1009374%2fgetting-invalid-partition-table-after-installing-16-04-lts-on-windows-10-lapto%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest



































active

oldest

votes













active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes















 

draft saved


draft discarded















































 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1009374%2fgetting-invalid-partition-table-after-installing-16-04-lts-on-windows-10-lapto%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error