Notebook getting loud when I watch full screen

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I have a 1.5 year old notebook from Tuxedo (with 16 GB RAM and a 4-core i7 processor) and a Ubuntu 16.04 LTS system on it. Since some time the notebook is getting a bit louder (which is normal after some time I guess).



But it is getting really loud as soon as I watch something in full screen. Especially in youtube (even with medium quality settings) I have to turn the volume very loud to still hear the tone...



I am wondering what might cause the notebook to suffer so much from a full screen video. The hardware should really be good enough for this kind of application.



Furthermore I also have a GraphicCard (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M). I already tried different settings with this graphic card (switch it off, use it with highest performance, auto, adaptive) but I cannot spot a difference... The temperature of it is usually between 48 and 51 °C. Also the temperature of the other device is not looking suspicious to me (but I am not 100% sure).



Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be or how I could solve it?







share|improve this question




















  • What do you mean by "loud"? As in the fan starts running at high speeds?
    – Thomas Ward♦
    May 10 at 18:17










  • Ja exactly. I think it must be the fan...
    – Li12
    May 10 at 22:07










  • I now installed Ubuntu budgie 18.04 and I have the feeling it got a bit less loud. Probably I should get some new cooling paste if it gets louder again.
    – Li12
    May 31 at 21:36










  • Paste is complicated. Try compressed air to clean out all dust and lint first. Also a new fan can be 20 dollars and old one might be defective.
    – WinEunuuchs2Unix
    May 31 at 21:50














up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I have a 1.5 year old notebook from Tuxedo (with 16 GB RAM and a 4-core i7 processor) and a Ubuntu 16.04 LTS system on it. Since some time the notebook is getting a bit louder (which is normal after some time I guess).



But it is getting really loud as soon as I watch something in full screen. Especially in youtube (even with medium quality settings) I have to turn the volume very loud to still hear the tone...



I am wondering what might cause the notebook to suffer so much from a full screen video. The hardware should really be good enough for this kind of application.



Furthermore I also have a GraphicCard (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M). I already tried different settings with this graphic card (switch it off, use it with highest performance, auto, adaptive) but I cannot spot a difference... The temperature of it is usually between 48 and 51 °C. Also the temperature of the other device is not looking suspicious to me (but I am not 100% sure).



Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be or how I could solve it?







share|improve this question




















  • What do you mean by "loud"? As in the fan starts running at high speeds?
    – Thomas Ward♦
    May 10 at 18:17










  • Ja exactly. I think it must be the fan...
    – Li12
    May 10 at 22:07










  • I now installed Ubuntu budgie 18.04 and I have the feeling it got a bit less loud. Probably I should get some new cooling paste if it gets louder again.
    – Li12
    May 31 at 21:36










  • Paste is complicated. Try compressed air to clean out all dust and lint first. Also a new fan can be 20 dollars and old one might be defective.
    – WinEunuuchs2Unix
    May 31 at 21:50












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











I have a 1.5 year old notebook from Tuxedo (with 16 GB RAM and a 4-core i7 processor) and a Ubuntu 16.04 LTS system on it. Since some time the notebook is getting a bit louder (which is normal after some time I guess).



But it is getting really loud as soon as I watch something in full screen. Especially in youtube (even with medium quality settings) I have to turn the volume very loud to still hear the tone...



I am wondering what might cause the notebook to suffer so much from a full screen video. The hardware should really be good enough for this kind of application.



Furthermore I also have a GraphicCard (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M). I already tried different settings with this graphic card (switch it off, use it with highest performance, auto, adaptive) but I cannot spot a difference... The temperature of it is usually between 48 and 51 °C. Also the temperature of the other device is not looking suspicious to me (but I am not 100% sure).



Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be or how I could solve it?







share|improve this question












I have a 1.5 year old notebook from Tuxedo (with 16 GB RAM and a 4-core i7 processor) and a Ubuntu 16.04 LTS system on it. Since some time the notebook is getting a bit louder (which is normal after some time I guess).



But it is getting really loud as soon as I watch something in full screen. Especially in youtube (even with medium quality settings) I have to turn the volume very loud to still hear the tone...



I am wondering what might cause the notebook to suffer so much from a full screen video. The hardware should really be good enough for this kind of application.



Furthermore I also have a GraphicCard (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M). I already tried different settings with this graphic card (switch it off, use it with highest performance, auto, adaptive) but I cannot spot a difference... The temperature of it is usually between 48 and 51 °C. Also the temperature of the other device is not looking suspicious to me (but I am not 100% sure).



Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be or how I could solve it?









share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked May 10 at 18:15









Li12

83




83











  • What do you mean by "loud"? As in the fan starts running at high speeds?
    – Thomas Ward♦
    May 10 at 18:17










  • Ja exactly. I think it must be the fan...
    – Li12
    May 10 at 22:07










  • I now installed Ubuntu budgie 18.04 and I have the feeling it got a bit less loud. Probably I should get some new cooling paste if it gets louder again.
    – Li12
    May 31 at 21:36










  • Paste is complicated. Try compressed air to clean out all dust and lint first. Also a new fan can be 20 dollars and old one might be defective.
    – WinEunuuchs2Unix
    May 31 at 21:50
















  • What do you mean by "loud"? As in the fan starts running at high speeds?
    – Thomas Ward♦
    May 10 at 18:17










  • Ja exactly. I think it must be the fan...
    – Li12
    May 10 at 22:07










  • I now installed Ubuntu budgie 18.04 and I have the feeling it got a bit less loud. Probably I should get some new cooling paste if it gets louder again.
    – Li12
    May 31 at 21:36










  • Paste is complicated. Try compressed air to clean out all dust and lint first. Also a new fan can be 20 dollars and old one might be defective.
    – WinEunuuchs2Unix
    May 31 at 21:50















What do you mean by "loud"? As in the fan starts running at high speeds?
– Thomas Ward♦
May 10 at 18:17




What do you mean by "loud"? As in the fan starts running at high speeds?
– Thomas Ward♦
May 10 at 18:17












Ja exactly. I think it must be the fan...
– Li12
May 10 at 22:07




Ja exactly. I think it must be the fan...
– Li12
May 10 at 22:07












I now installed Ubuntu budgie 18.04 and I have the feeling it got a bit less loud. Probably I should get some new cooling paste if it gets louder again.
– Li12
May 31 at 21:36




I now installed Ubuntu budgie 18.04 and I have the feeling it got a bit less loud. Probably I should get some new cooling paste if it gets louder again.
– Li12
May 31 at 21:36












Paste is complicated. Try compressed air to clean out all dust and lint first. Also a new fan can be 20 dollars and old one might be defective.
– WinEunuuchs2Unix
May 31 at 21:50




Paste is complicated. Try compressed air to clean out all dust and lint first. Also a new fan can be 20 dollars and old one might be defective.
– WinEunuuchs2Unix
May 31 at 21:50















active

oldest

votes











Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);








 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1034597%2fnotebook-getting-loud-when-i-watch-full-screen%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest



































active

oldest

votes













active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes










 

draft saved


draft discarded


























 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1034597%2fnotebook-getting-loud-when-i-watch-full-screen%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error