Reproducing a set of ip commands in netplan

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
5
down vote

favorite
3












I recently upgraded to ubuntu 18.04 from 16.04 and am trying to figure out how to get my ip route and ip rule commands that I used to put in /etc/network/interfaces working under netplan.



These are the commands that I'm trying to reproduce, that I previously ran in /etc/network/interfaces:



sudo ip rule add table 129 from 192.168.1.160
sudo ip route add table 129 to 204.8.230.0/24 dev enp0s3
sudo ip route add table 129 to 192.168.1.0/24 dev enp0s3
sudo ip route add table 129 default via 192.168.1.1


This is my first pass at the netplan config in /etc/netplan/01-netcfg.yaml:



# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# For more information, see netplan(5).
network:
version: 2
renderer: networkd
ethernets:
enp0s3:
dhcp4: yes
routes:
- from: 192.168.1.160
to: 204.8.230.0/24
via: 192.168.1.1
- from: 192.168.1.160
to: 192.168.1.0/24
via: 192.168.1.1


However, after a restart those routes do not show up in the ip route output. How do I get these routes to stick?



Note that I've also tried putting these commands in a script in /usr/lib/networkd-dispatcher/routable.d based on some documentation I found, but that does not appear to have worked either.



EDIT: I'm getting closer. This is the new config, but now the problem is that although the table shows up in ip rule, ip route show table 129 is empty:



# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# For more information, see netplan(5).
network:
version: 2
renderer: networkd
ethernets:
enp0s3:
dhcp4: yes
routing-policy:
- from: 192.168.1.160
table: 129
routes:
- to: 204.8.230.0/24
via: 192.168.1.1
table: 129
- to: 192.168.1.0/24
via: 192.168.1.1
table: 129
- to: 0.0.0.0/0
via: 192.168.1.1
table: 129


I'm on netplan version 0.36.1







share|improve this question


























    up vote
    5
    down vote

    favorite
    3












    I recently upgraded to ubuntu 18.04 from 16.04 and am trying to figure out how to get my ip route and ip rule commands that I used to put in /etc/network/interfaces working under netplan.



    These are the commands that I'm trying to reproduce, that I previously ran in /etc/network/interfaces:



    sudo ip rule add table 129 from 192.168.1.160
    sudo ip route add table 129 to 204.8.230.0/24 dev enp0s3
    sudo ip route add table 129 to 192.168.1.0/24 dev enp0s3
    sudo ip route add table 129 default via 192.168.1.1


    This is my first pass at the netplan config in /etc/netplan/01-netcfg.yaml:



    # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # For more information, see netplan(5).
    network:
    version: 2
    renderer: networkd
    ethernets:
    enp0s3:
    dhcp4: yes
    routes:
    - from: 192.168.1.160
    to: 204.8.230.0/24
    via: 192.168.1.1
    - from: 192.168.1.160
    to: 192.168.1.0/24
    via: 192.168.1.1


    However, after a restart those routes do not show up in the ip route output. How do I get these routes to stick?



    Note that I've also tried putting these commands in a script in /usr/lib/networkd-dispatcher/routable.d based on some documentation I found, but that does not appear to have worked either.



    EDIT: I'm getting closer. This is the new config, but now the problem is that although the table shows up in ip rule, ip route show table 129 is empty:



    # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # For more information, see netplan(5).
    network:
    version: 2
    renderer: networkd
    ethernets:
    enp0s3:
    dhcp4: yes
    routing-policy:
    - from: 192.168.1.160
    table: 129
    routes:
    - to: 204.8.230.0/24
    via: 192.168.1.1
    table: 129
    - to: 192.168.1.0/24
    via: 192.168.1.1
    table: 129
    - to: 0.0.0.0/0
    via: 192.168.1.1
    table: 129


    I'm on netplan version 0.36.1







    share|improve this question
























      up vote
      5
      down vote

      favorite
      3









      up vote
      5
      down vote

      favorite
      3






      3





      I recently upgraded to ubuntu 18.04 from 16.04 and am trying to figure out how to get my ip route and ip rule commands that I used to put in /etc/network/interfaces working under netplan.



      These are the commands that I'm trying to reproduce, that I previously ran in /etc/network/interfaces:



      sudo ip rule add table 129 from 192.168.1.160
      sudo ip route add table 129 to 204.8.230.0/24 dev enp0s3
      sudo ip route add table 129 to 192.168.1.0/24 dev enp0s3
      sudo ip route add table 129 default via 192.168.1.1


      This is my first pass at the netplan config in /etc/netplan/01-netcfg.yaml:



      # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
      # For more information, see netplan(5).
      network:
      version: 2
      renderer: networkd
      ethernets:
      enp0s3:
      dhcp4: yes
      routes:
      - from: 192.168.1.160
      to: 204.8.230.0/24
      via: 192.168.1.1
      - from: 192.168.1.160
      to: 192.168.1.0/24
      via: 192.168.1.1


      However, after a restart those routes do not show up in the ip route output. How do I get these routes to stick?



      Note that I've also tried putting these commands in a script in /usr/lib/networkd-dispatcher/routable.d based on some documentation I found, but that does not appear to have worked either.



      EDIT: I'm getting closer. This is the new config, but now the problem is that although the table shows up in ip rule, ip route show table 129 is empty:



      # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
      # For more information, see netplan(5).
      network:
      version: 2
      renderer: networkd
      ethernets:
      enp0s3:
      dhcp4: yes
      routing-policy:
      - from: 192.168.1.160
      table: 129
      routes:
      - to: 204.8.230.0/24
      via: 192.168.1.1
      table: 129
      - to: 192.168.1.0/24
      via: 192.168.1.1
      table: 129
      - to: 0.0.0.0/0
      via: 192.168.1.1
      table: 129


      I'm on netplan version 0.36.1







      share|improve this question














      I recently upgraded to ubuntu 18.04 from 16.04 and am trying to figure out how to get my ip route and ip rule commands that I used to put in /etc/network/interfaces working under netplan.



      These are the commands that I'm trying to reproduce, that I previously ran in /etc/network/interfaces:



      sudo ip rule add table 129 from 192.168.1.160
      sudo ip route add table 129 to 204.8.230.0/24 dev enp0s3
      sudo ip route add table 129 to 192.168.1.0/24 dev enp0s3
      sudo ip route add table 129 default via 192.168.1.1


      This is my first pass at the netplan config in /etc/netplan/01-netcfg.yaml:



      # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
      # For more information, see netplan(5).
      network:
      version: 2
      renderer: networkd
      ethernets:
      enp0s3:
      dhcp4: yes
      routes:
      - from: 192.168.1.160
      to: 204.8.230.0/24
      via: 192.168.1.1
      - from: 192.168.1.160
      to: 192.168.1.0/24
      via: 192.168.1.1


      However, after a restart those routes do not show up in the ip route output. How do I get these routes to stick?



      Note that I've also tried putting these commands in a script in /usr/lib/networkd-dispatcher/routable.d based on some documentation I found, but that does not appear to have worked either.



      EDIT: I'm getting closer. This is the new config, but now the problem is that although the table shows up in ip rule, ip route show table 129 is empty:



      # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
      # For more information, see netplan(5).
      network:
      version: 2
      renderer: networkd
      ethernets:
      enp0s3:
      dhcp4: yes
      routing-policy:
      - from: 192.168.1.160
      table: 129
      routes:
      - to: 204.8.230.0/24
      via: 192.168.1.1
      table: 129
      - to: 192.168.1.0/24
      via: 192.168.1.1
      table: 129
      - to: 0.0.0.0/0
      via: 192.168.1.1
      table: 129


      I'm on netplan version 0.36.1









      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question








      edited May 10 at 15:32

























      asked May 10 at 14:25









      basepi

      1865




      1865




















          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes

















          up vote
          6
          down vote













          I figured it out. The problem was that systemd-networkd was trying to set the routes before the network was up, which was failing. The fix is on-link: True on the routes:



          # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
          # For more information, see netplan(5).
          network:
          version: 2
          renderer: networkd
          ethernets:
          enp0s3:
          dhcp4: yes
          routing-policy:
          - from: 192.168.1.160
          table: 129
          routes:
          - to: 204.8.230.0/24
          via: 192.168.1.1
          table: 129
          on-link: True
          - to: 192.168.1.0/24
          via: 192.168.1.1
          table: 129
          on-link: True
          - to: 0.0.0.0/0
          via: 192.168.1.1
          table: 129
          on-link: True





          share|improve this answer




















          • Upvoted. Thanks for posting the answer as you will be helping many searchers.
            – chili555
            May 10 at 20:06










          Your Answer







          StackExchange.ready(function()
          var channelOptions =
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "89"
          ;
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
          createEditor();
          );

          else
          createEditor();

          );

          function createEditor()
          StackExchange.prepareEditor(
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          convertImagesToLinks: true,
          noModals: false,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: 10,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          );



          );








           

          draft saved


          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1034518%2freproducing-a-set-of-ip-commands-in-netplan%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest






























          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes








          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes








          up vote
          6
          down vote













          I figured it out. The problem was that systemd-networkd was trying to set the routes before the network was up, which was failing. The fix is on-link: True on the routes:



          # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
          # For more information, see netplan(5).
          network:
          version: 2
          renderer: networkd
          ethernets:
          enp0s3:
          dhcp4: yes
          routing-policy:
          - from: 192.168.1.160
          table: 129
          routes:
          - to: 204.8.230.0/24
          via: 192.168.1.1
          table: 129
          on-link: True
          - to: 192.168.1.0/24
          via: 192.168.1.1
          table: 129
          on-link: True
          - to: 0.0.0.0/0
          via: 192.168.1.1
          table: 129
          on-link: True





          share|improve this answer




















          • Upvoted. Thanks for posting the answer as you will be helping many searchers.
            – chili555
            May 10 at 20:06














          up vote
          6
          down vote













          I figured it out. The problem was that systemd-networkd was trying to set the routes before the network was up, which was failing. The fix is on-link: True on the routes:



          # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
          # For more information, see netplan(5).
          network:
          version: 2
          renderer: networkd
          ethernets:
          enp0s3:
          dhcp4: yes
          routing-policy:
          - from: 192.168.1.160
          table: 129
          routes:
          - to: 204.8.230.0/24
          via: 192.168.1.1
          table: 129
          on-link: True
          - to: 192.168.1.0/24
          via: 192.168.1.1
          table: 129
          on-link: True
          - to: 0.0.0.0/0
          via: 192.168.1.1
          table: 129
          on-link: True





          share|improve this answer




















          • Upvoted. Thanks for posting the answer as you will be helping many searchers.
            – chili555
            May 10 at 20:06












          up vote
          6
          down vote










          up vote
          6
          down vote









          I figured it out. The problem was that systemd-networkd was trying to set the routes before the network was up, which was failing. The fix is on-link: True on the routes:



          # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
          # For more information, see netplan(5).
          network:
          version: 2
          renderer: networkd
          ethernets:
          enp0s3:
          dhcp4: yes
          routing-policy:
          - from: 192.168.1.160
          table: 129
          routes:
          - to: 204.8.230.0/24
          via: 192.168.1.1
          table: 129
          on-link: True
          - to: 192.168.1.0/24
          via: 192.168.1.1
          table: 129
          on-link: True
          - to: 0.0.0.0/0
          via: 192.168.1.1
          table: 129
          on-link: True





          share|improve this answer












          I figured it out. The problem was that systemd-networkd was trying to set the routes before the network was up, which was failing. The fix is on-link: True on the routes:



          # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
          # For more information, see netplan(5).
          network:
          version: 2
          renderer: networkd
          ethernets:
          enp0s3:
          dhcp4: yes
          routing-policy:
          - from: 192.168.1.160
          table: 129
          routes:
          - to: 204.8.230.0/24
          via: 192.168.1.1
          table: 129
          on-link: True
          - to: 192.168.1.0/24
          via: 192.168.1.1
          table: 129
          on-link: True
          - to: 0.0.0.0/0
          via: 192.168.1.1
          table: 129
          on-link: True






          share|improve this answer












          share|improve this answer



          share|improve this answer










          answered May 10 at 16:22









          basepi

          1865




          1865











          • Upvoted. Thanks for posting the answer as you will be helping many searchers.
            – chili555
            May 10 at 20:06
















          • Upvoted. Thanks for posting the answer as you will be helping many searchers.
            – chili555
            May 10 at 20:06















          Upvoted. Thanks for posting the answer as you will be helping many searchers.
          – chili555
          May 10 at 20:06




          Upvoted. Thanks for posting the answer as you will be helping many searchers.
          – chili555
          May 10 at 20:06












           

          draft saved


          draft discarded


























           


          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1034518%2freproducing-a-set-of-ip-commands-in-netplan%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest













































































          Popular posts from this blog

          Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

          How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

          Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error