Crontab for an rsync backup with ssh connection

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












UBUNTU 16.04 Root Server.



I would like to have a crontab job run an rsync backup job every night at 2:14am.
It copies a "folder" from an Ubuntu 16.04 machine to another root server in the internet.
There is an ssh connection possible with a ssh key login.



The following command works in the terminal:




/usr/bin/rsync -az --delete -e ssh /home/user/folder/ user@server.example.com:/home/user/folder




But the following crontab job does not work:




14 2 * * * /usr/bin/rsync -az --delete -e ssh /home/user/folder/ user@server.example.com:/home/user/folder




I am having a hard time with crontab to be honest. It always feels to be a lucky situation if the job actually works.



Can someone see from the crontab job above what I am doing wrong?



greetings, Chris







share|improve this question
















  • 1




    What error does the command give when running from cron? 'does not work' is not enough.
    – Soren A
    May 15 at 8:17










  • I agree that this is not enough. But where could I see what error it gives? I have no idea where to see the error message, since it'sa a cronjob. And that runs "in the background" (if it runs).
    – StackChrisChris
    May 15 at 20:43










  • redirect the output from the command with > /path/to/outfile 2>&1 and check the content of the file after cron has run the job.
    – Soren A
    May 15 at 22:38










  • Thanks for that already!. I get the error message: Host key verification failed. rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender] rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(226) [sender=3.1.1]
    – StackChrisChris
    May 16 at 8:56










  • I guess the Host Key error happens because it tries to connect as "root" and not as "user". I need to define the ssh user for the connection.
    – StackChrisChris
    May 16 at 9:02














up vote
0
down vote

favorite












UBUNTU 16.04 Root Server.



I would like to have a crontab job run an rsync backup job every night at 2:14am.
It copies a "folder" from an Ubuntu 16.04 machine to another root server in the internet.
There is an ssh connection possible with a ssh key login.



The following command works in the terminal:




/usr/bin/rsync -az --delete -e ssh /home/user/folder/ user@server.example.com:/home/user/folder




But the following crontab job does not work:




14 2 * * * /usr/bin/rsync -az --delete -e ssh /home/user/folder/ user@server.example.com:/home/user/folder




I am having a hard time with crontab to be honest. It always feels to be a lucky situation if the job actually works.



Can someone see from the crontab job above what I am doing wrong?



greetings, Chris







share|improve this question
















  • 1




    What error does the command give when running from cron? 'does not work' is not enough.
    – Soren A
    May 15 at 8:17










  • I agree that this is not enough. But where could I see what error it gives? I have no idea where to see the error message, since it'sa a cronjob. And that runs "in the background" (if it runs).
    – StackChrisChris
    May 15 at 20:43










  • redirect the output from the command with > /path/to/outfile 2>&1 and check the content of the file after cron has run the job.
    – Soren A
    May 15 at 22:38










  • Thanks for that already!. I get the error message: Host key verification failed. rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender] rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(226) [sender=3.1.1]
    – StackChrisChris
    May 16 at 8:56










  • I guess the Host Key error happens because it tries to connect as "root" and not as "user". I need to define the ssh user for the connection.
    – StackChrisChris
    May 16 at 9:02












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











UBUNTU 16.04 Root Server.



I would like to have a crontab job run an rsync backup job every night at 2:14am.
It copies a "folder" from an Ubuntu 16.04 machine to another root server in the internet.
There is an ssh connection possible with a ssh key login.



The following command works in the terminal:




/usr/bin/rsync -az --delete -e ssh /home/user/folder/ user@server.example.com:/home/user/folder




But the following crontab job does not work:




14 2 * * * /usr/bin/rsync -az --delete -e ssh /home/user/folder/ user@server.example.com:/home/user/folder




I am having a hard time with crontab to be honest. It always feels to be a lucky situation if the job actually works.



Can someone see from the crontab job above what I am doing wrong?



greetings, Chris







share|improve this question












UBUNTU 16.04 Root Server.



I would like to have a crontab job run an rsync backup job every night at 2:14am.
It copies a "folder" from an Ubuntu 16.04 machine to another root server in the internet.
There is an ssh connection possible with a ssh key login.



The following command works in the terminal:




/usr/bin/rsync -az --delete -e ssh /home/user/folder/ user@server.example.com:/home/user/folder




But the following crontab job does not work:




14 2 * * * /usr/bin/rsync -az --delete -e ssh /home/user/folder/ user@server.example.com:/home/user/folder




I am having a hard time with crontab to be honest. It always feels to be a lucky situation if the job actually works.



Can someone see from the crontab job above what I am doing wrong?



greetings, Chris









share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked May 15 at 8:15









StackChrisChris

114




114







  • 1




    What error does the command give when running from cron? 'does not work' is not enough.
    – Soren A
    May 15 at 8:17










  • I agree that this is not enough. But where could I see what error it gives? I have no idea where to see the error message, since it'sa a cronjob. And that runs "in the background" (if it runs).
    – StackChrisChris
    May 15 at 20:43










  • redirect the output from the command with > /path/to/outfile 2>&1 and check the content of the file after cron has run the job.
    – Soren A
    May 15 at 22:38










  • Thanks for that already!. I get the error message: Host key verification failed. rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender] rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(226) [sender=3.1.1]
    – StackChrisChris
    May 16 at 8:56










  • I guess the Host Key error happens because it tries to connect as "root" and not as "user". I need to define the ssh user for the connection.
    – StackChrisChris
    May 16 at 9:02












  • 1




    What error does the command give when running from cron? 'does not work' is not enough.
    – Soren A
    May 15 at 8:17










  • I agree that this is not enough. But where could I see what error it gives? I have no idea where to see the error message, since it'sa a cronjob. And that runs "in the background" (if it runs).
    – StackChrisChris
    May 15 at 20:43










  • redirect the output from the command with > /path/to/outfile 2>&1 and check the content of the file after cron has run the job.
    – Soren A
    May 15 at 22:38










  • Thanks for that already!. I get the error message: Host key verification failed. rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender] rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(226) [sender=3.1.1]
    – StackChrisChris
    May 16 at 8:56










  • I guess the Host Key error happens because it tries to connect as "root" and not as "user". I need to define the ssh user for the connection.
    – StackChrisChris
    May 16 at 9:02







1




1




What error does the command give when running from cron? 'does not work' is not enough.
– Soren A
May 15 at 8:17




What error does the command give when running from cron? 'does not work' is not enough.
– Soren A
May 15 at 8:17












I agree that this is not enough. But where could I see what error it gives? I have no idea where to see the error message, since it'sa a cronjob. And that runs "in the background" (if it runs).
– StackChrisChris
May 15 at 20:43




I agree that this is not enough. But where could I see what error it gives? I have no idea where to see the error message, since it'sa a cronjob. And that runs "in the background" (if it runs).
– StackChrisChris
May 15 at 20:43












redirect the output from the command with > /path/to/outfile 2>&1 and check the content of the file after cron has run the job.
– Soren A
May 15 at 22:38




redirect the output from the command with > /path/to/outfile 2>&1 and check the content of the file after cron has run the job.
– Soren A
May 15 at 22:38












Thanks for that already!. I get the error message: Host key verification failed. rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender] rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(226) [sender=3.1.1]
– StackChrisChris
May 16 at 8:56




Thanks for that already!. I get the error message: Host key verification failed. rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender] rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(226) [sender=3.1.1]
– StackChrisChris
May 16 at 8:56












I guess the Host Key error happens because it tries to connect as "root" and not as "user". I need to define the ssh user for the connection.
– StackChrisChris
May 16 at 9:02




I guess the Host Key error happens because it tries to connect as "root" and not as "user". I need to define the ssh user for the connection.
– StackChrisChris
May 16 at 9:02










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
1
down vote













The problem I had was that the ssh connection
The Host Key verification failed.



I ran the cronjob on the crontab of root.
(I added the cronjob via "sudo crontab -e".)




14 2 * * * /usr/bin/rsync -az --delete -e ssh /home/user/folder/ user@server.example.com:/home/user/folder




It seems that the ssh connection then is established by the root user and not by the "user".



So the connection attempt is actually:




ssh root@server.example.com




and not




ssh user@server.example.com




So I added the cronjob to the crontab of the "user".
(crontab -e (without sudo)).



Now the Host Key Verification works and the crontab rsync job is executed properly.



I don't know exactly if the above assumptions are correct but this solved the problem.



I hope this thread will help someone else at some stage as well.



Greetings, Chris






share|improve this answer




















    Your Answer







    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "89"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    convertImagesToLinks: true,
    noModals: false,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: 10,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );








     

    draft saved


    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1036421%2fcrontab-for-an-rsync-backup-with-ssh-connection%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest






























    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes








    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes








    up vote
    1
    down vote













    The problem I had was that the ssh connection
    The Host Key verification failed.



    I ran the cronjob on the crontab of root.
    (I added the cronjob via "sudo crontab -e".)




    14 2 * * * /usr/bin/rsync -az --delete -e ssh /home/user/folder/ user@server.example.com:/home/user/folder




    It seems that the ssh connection then is established by the root user and not by the "user".



    So the connection attempt is actually:




    ssh root@server.example.com




    and not




    ssh user@server.example.com




    So I added the cronjob to the crontab of the "user".
    (crontab -e (without sudo)).



    Now the Host Key Verification works and the crontab rsync job is executed properly.



    I don't know exactly if the above assumptions are correct but this solved the problem.



    I hope this thread will help someone else at some stage as well.



    Greetings, Chris






    share|improve this answer
























      up vote
      1
      down vote













      The problem I had was that the ssh connection
      The Host Key verification failed.



      I ran the cronjob on the crontab of root.
      (I added the cronjob via "sudo crontab -e".)




      14 2 * * * /usr/bin/rsync -az --delete -e ssh /home/user/folder/ user@server.example.com:/home/user/folder




      It seems that the ssh connection then is established by the root user and not by the "user".



      So the connection attempt is actually:




      ssh root@server.example.com




      and not




      ssh user@server.example.com




      So I added the cronjob to the crontab of the "user".
      (crontab -e (without sudo)).



      Now the Host Key Verification works and the crontab rsync job is executed properly.



      I don't know exactly if the above assumptions are correct but this solved the problem.



      I hope this thread will help someone else at some stage as well.



      Greetings, Chris






      share|improve this answer






















        up vote
        1
        down vote










        up vote
        1
        down vote









        The problem I had was that the ssh connection
        The Host Key verification failed.



        I ran the cronjob on the crontab of root.
        (I added the cronjob via "sudo crontab -e".)




        14 2 * * * /usr/bin/rsync -az --delete -e ssh /home/user/folder/ user@server.example.com:/home/user/folder




        It seems that the ssh connection then is established by the root user and not by the "user".



        So the connection attempt is actually:




        ssh root@server.example.com




        and not




        ssh user@server.example.com




        So I added the cronjob to the crontab of the "user".
        (crontab -e (without sudo)).



        Now the Host Key Verification works and the crontab rsync job is executed properly.



        I don't know exactly if the above assumptions are correct but this solved the problem.



        I hope this thread will help someone else at some stage as well.



        Greetings, Chris






        share|improve this answer












        The problem I had was that the ssh connection
        The Host Key verification failed.



        I ran the cronjob on the crontab of root.
        (I added the cronjob via "sudo crontab -e".)




        14 2 * * * /usr/bin/rsync -az --delete -e ssh /home/user/folder/ user@server.example.com:/home/user/folder




        It seems that the ssh connection then is established by the root user and not by the "user".



        So the connection attempt is actually:




        ssh root@server.example.com




        and not




        ssh user@server.example.com




        So I added the cronjob to the crontab of the "user".
        (crontab -e (without sudo)).



        Now the Host Key Verification works and the crontab rsync job is executed properly.



        I don't know exactly if the above assumptions are correct but this solved the problem.



        I hope this thread will help someone else at some stage as well.



        Greetings, Chris







        share|improve this answer












        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer










        answered May 16 at 11:02









        StackChrisChris

        114




        114






















             

            draft saved


            draft discarded


























             


            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1036421%2fcrontab-for-an-rsync-backup-with-ssh-connection%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest













































































            Popular posts from this blog

            Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

            How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

            Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error