Linux (ubuntu) Permission confusion

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
1
down vote

favorite












Please, take a look at the following CMD



[thunder@ip-xxx-xx-xx-xx /]$ id
uid=504(thunder) gid=504(thunder) groups=504(thunder)

[thunder@ip-xxx-xx-xx-xx /]$ grep developers /etc/group
developers:x:505:501,502,503,504

[thunder@ip-xxx-xx-xx-xx /]$ groups
thunder


My question is why doesn't developers show up in my groups command



Below you can see



[thunder@ip-xxx-xx-xx-xx opt]$ ls -l
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Mar 7 06:46 aws
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 63 Mar 23 22:37 permissions.sh
drwxrwxr-x 7 root developers 4096 Mar 26 19:30 web


The "web" folder has developers as its group,
but still I cannot perform this inside the "web" folder



[thunder@ip-xxx-xx-xx-xx opt]$ cd web
[thunder@ip-xxx-xx-xx-xx web]$ touch a
touch: cannot touch ‘a’: Permission denied


Note: I tried logging out and logging back in using the logout and exit command, but still no success.










share|improve this question

























    up vote
    1
    down vote

    favorite












    Please, take a look at the following CMD



    [thunder@ip-xxx-xx-xx-xx /]$ id
    uid=504(thunder) gid=504(thunder) groups=504(thunder)

    [thunder@ip-xxx-xx-xx-xx /]$ grep developers /etc/group
    developers:x:505:501,502,503,504

    [thunder@ip-xxx-xx-xx-xx /]$ groups
    thunder


    My question is why doesn't developers show up in my groups command



    Below you can see



    [thunder@ip-xxx-xx-xx-xx opt]$ ls -l
    total 12
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Mar 7 06:46 aws
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 63 Mar 23 22:37 permissions.sh
    drwxrwxr-x 7 root developers 4096 Mar 26 19:30 web


    The "web" folder has developers as its group,
    but still I cannot perform this inside the "web" folder



    [thunder@ip-xxx-xx-xx-xx opt]$ cd web
    [thunder@ip-xxx-xx-xx-xx web]$ touch a
    touch: cannot touch ‘a’: Permission denied


    Note: I tried logging out and logging back in using the logout and exit command, but still no success.










    share|improve this question























      up vote
      1
      down vote

      favorite









      up vote
      1
      down vote

      favorite











      Please, take a look at the following CMD



      [thunder@ip-xxx-xx-xx-xx /]$ id
      uid=504(thunder) gid=504(thunder) groups=504(thunder)

      [thunder@ip-xxx-xx-xx-xx /]$ grep developers /etc/group
      developers:x:505:501,502,503,504

      [thunder@ip-xxx-xx-xx-xx /]$ groups
      thunder


      My question is why doesn't developers show up in my groups command



      Below you can see



      [thunder@ip-xxx-xx-xx-xx opt]$ ls -l
      total 12
      drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Mar 7 06:46 aws
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 63 Mar 23 22:37 permissions.sh
      drwxrwxr-x 7 root developers 4096 Mar 26 19:30 web


      The "web" folder has developers as its group,
      but still I cannot perform this inside the "web" folder



      [thunder@ip-xxx-xx-xx-xx opt]$ cd web
      [thunder@ip-xxx-xx-xx-xx web]$ touch a
      touch: cannot touch ‘a’: Permission denied


      Note: I tried logging out and logging back in using the logout and exit command, but still no success.










      share|improve this question













      Please, take a look at the following CMD



      [thunder@ip-xxx-xx-xx-xx /]$ id
      uid=504(thunder) gid=504(thunder) groups=504(thunder)

      [thunder@ip-xxx-xx-xx-xx /]$ grep developers /etc/group
      developers:x:505:501,502,503,504

      [thunder@ip-xxx-xx-xx-xx /]$ groups
      thunder


      My question is why doesn't developers show up in my groups command



      Below you can see



      [thunder@ip-xxx-xx-xx-xx opt]$ ls -l
      total 12
      drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Mar 7 06:46 aws
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 63 Mar 23 22:37 permissions.sh
      drwxrwxr-x 7 root developers 4096 Mar 26 19:30 web


      The "web" folder has developers as its group,
      but still I cannot perform this inside the "web" folder



      [thunder@ip-xxx-xx-xx-xx opt]$ cd web
      [thunder@ip-xxx-xx-xx-xx web]$ touch a
      touch: cannot touch ‘a’: Permission denied


      Note: I tried logging out and logging back in using the logout and exit command, but still no success.







      permissions users groups






      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question











      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question










      asked Mar 28 at 21:25









      ThunderRoid

      1063




      1063




















          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes

















          up vote
          1
          down vote













          man 5 group states that the forth section of each line is (emphasis added):




          a list of the usernames that are members of this group, separated by commas.




          Having numeric user IDs in this list doesn't seem to work.




          I think you have to use something like



          sudo gpasswd -a $USER developers


          or



          sudo usermod $USER -aG developers


          to actually add yourself to the developers group.



          After that, logout and re-login, then use



          id -Gn


          to get a list of your groups.






          share|improve this answer






















          • but to run sudo gpasswd i will need root access which i don't have
            – ThunderRoid
            Mar 28 at 21:53










          • @ThunderRoid You have to ask the administrator then... because you are not really in developers group.
            – Ravexina
            Mar 28 at 21:56











          • but grep developers /etc/group shows that i am, because it has my uid, as u can see in op
            – ThunderRoid
            Mar 28 at 21:57






          • 1




            There should be a list of the "usernames" not "user id", I tested it on my local machine... uid does not works. I also quoted a line from /etc/group manual page: " a list of the usernames that are members of this group, separated by commas."
            – Ravexina
            Mar 28 at 21:59






          • 1




            I edited your answer to emphasize that one has to put the user names into /etc/groups, not the UIDs. At least for me, that wasn't too clear until I saw your comment above. Btw, another (more common?) command to add a USER to a GROUP is sudo adduser USER GROUP.
            – Byte Commander
            Mar 28 at 22:57










          Your Answer







          StackExchange.ready(function()
          var channelOptions =
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "89"
          ;
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
          createEditor();
          );

          else
          createEditor();

          );

          function createEditor()
          StackExchange.prepareEditor(
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          convertImagesToLinks: true,
          noModals: false,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: 10,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          );



          );













           

          draft saved


          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1020103%2flinux-ubuntu-permission-confusion%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest






























          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes








          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes








          up vote
          1
          down vote













          man 5 group states that the forth section of each line is (emphasis added):




          a list of the usernames that are members of this group, separated by commas.




          Having numeric user IDs in this list doesn't seem to work.




          I think you have to use something like



          sudo gpasswd -a $USER developers


          or



          sudo usermod $USER -aG developers


          to actually add yourself to the developers group.



          After that, logout and re-login, then use



          id -Gn


          to get a list of your groups.






          share|improve this answer






















          • but to run sudo gpasswd i will need root access which i don't have
            – ThunderRoid
            Mar 28 at 21:53










          • @ThunderRoid You have to ask the administrator then... because you are not really in developers group.
            – Ravexina
            Mar 28 at 21:56











          • but grep developers /etc/group shows that i am, because it has my uid, as u can see in op
            – ThunderRoid
            Mar 28 at 21:57






          • 1




            There should be a list of the "usernames" not "user id", I tested it on my local machine... uid does not works. I also quoted a line from /etc/group manual page: " a list of the usernames that are members of this group, separated by commas."
            – Ravexina
            Mar 28 at 21:59






          • 1




            I edited your answer to emphasize that one has to put the user names into /etc/groups, not the UIDs. At least for me, that wasn't too clear until I saw your comment above. Btw, another (more common?) command to add a USER to a GROUP is sudo adduser USER GROUP.
            – Byte Commander
            Mar 28 at 22:57














          up vote
          1
          down vote













          man 5 group states that the forth section of each line is (emphasis added):




          a list of the usernames that are members of this group, separated by commas.




          Having numeric user IDs in this list doesn't seem to work.




          I think you have to use something like



          sudo gpasswd -a $USER developers


          or



          sudo usermod $USER -aG developers


          to actually add yourself to the developers group.



          After that, logout and re-login, then use



          id -Gn


          to get a list of your groups.






          share|improve this answer






















          • but to run sudo gpasswd i will need root access which i don't have
            – ThunderRoid
            Mar 28 at 21:53










          • @ThunderRoid You have to ask the administrator then... because you are not really in developers group.
            – Ravexina
            Mar 28 at 21:56











          • but grep developers /etc/group shows that i am, because it has my uid, as u can see in op
            – ThunderRoid
            Mar 28 at 21:57






          • 1




            There should be a list of the "usernames" not "user id", I tested it on my local machine... uid does not works. I also quoted a line from /etc/group manual page: " a list of the usernames that are members of this group, separated by commas."
            – Ravexina
            Mar 28 at 21:59






          • 1




            I edited your answer to emphasize that one has to put the user names into /etc/groups, not the UIDs. At least for me, that wasn't too clear until I saw your comment above. Btw, another (more common?) command to add a USER to a GROUP is sudo adduser USER GROUP.
            – Byte Commander
            Mar 28 at 22:57












          up vote
          1
          down vote










          up vote
          1
          down vote









          man 5 group states that the forth section of each line is (emphasis added):




          a list of the usernames that are members of this group, separated by commas.




          Having numeric user IDs in this list doesn't seem to work.




          I think you have to use something like



          sudo gpasswd -a $USER developers


          or



          sudo usermod $USER -aG developers


          to actually add yourself to the developers group.



          After that, logout and re-login, then use



          id -Gn


          to get a list of your groups.






          share|improve this answer














          man 5 group states that the forth section of each line is (emphasis added):




          a list of the usernames that are members of this group, separated by commas.




          Having numeric user IDs in this list doesn't seem to work.




          I think you have to use something like



          sudo gpasswd -a $USER developers


          or



          sudo usermod $USER -aG developers


          to actually add yourself to the developers group.



          After that, logout and re-login, then use



          id -Gn


          to get a list of your groups.







          share|improve this answer














          share|improve this answer



          share|improve this answer








          edited Mar 28 at 22:55









          Byte Commander

          59.5k26159267




          59.5k26159267










          answered Mar 28 at 21:41









          Ravexina

          28k146595




          28k146595











          • but to run sudo gpasswd i will need root access which i don't have
            – ThunderRoid
            Mar 28 at 21:53










          • @ThunderRoid You have to ask the administrator then... because you are not really in developers group.
            – Ravexina
            Mar 28 at 21:56











          • but grep developers /etc/group shows that i am, because it has my uid, as u can see in op
            – ThunderRoid
            Mar 28 at 21:57






          • 1




            There should be a list of the "usernames" not "user id", I tested it on my local machine... uid does not works. I also quoted a line from /etc/group manual page: " a list of the usernames that are members of this group, separated by commas."
            – Ravexina
            Mar 28 at 21:59






          • 1




            I edited your answer to emphasize that one has to put the user names into /etc/groups, not the UIDs. At least for me, that wasn't too clear until I saw your comment above. Btw, another (more common?) command to add a USER to a GROUP is sudo adduser USER GROUP.
            – Byte Commander
            Mar 28 at 22:57
















          • but to run sudo gpasswd i will need root access which i don't have
            – ThunderRoid
            Mar 28 at 21:53










          • @ThunderRoid You have to ask the administrator then... because you are not really in developers group.
            – Ravexina
            Mar 28 at 21:56











          • but grep developers /etc/group shows that i am, because it has my uid, as u can see in op
            – ThunderRoid
            Mar 28 at 21:57






          • 1




            There should be a list of the "usernames" not "user id", I tested it on my local machine... uid does not works. I also quoted a line from /etc/group manual page: " a list of the usernames that are members of this group, separated by commas."
            – Ravexina
            Mar 28 at 21:59






          • 1




            I edited your answer to emphasize that one has to put the user names into /etc/groups, not the UIDs. At least for me, that wasn't too clear until I saw your comment above. Btw, another (more common?) command to add a USER to a GROUP is sudo adduser USER GROUP.
            – Byte Commander
            Mar 28 at 22:57















          but to run sudo gpasswd i will need root access which i don't have
          – ThunderRoid
          Mar 28 at 21:53




          but to run sudo gpasswd i will need root access which i don't have
          – ThunderRoid
          Mar 28 at 21:53












          @ThunderRoid You have to ask the administrator then... because you are not really in developers group.
          – Ravexina
          Mar 28 at 21:56





          @ThunderRoid You have to ask the administrator then... because you are not really in developers group.
          – Ravexina
          Mar 28 at 21:56













          but grep developers /etc/group shows that i am, because it has my uid, as u can see in op
          – ThunderRoid
          Mar 28 at 21:57




          but grep developers /etc/group shows that i am, because it has my uid, as u can see in op
          – ThunderRoid
          Mar 28 at 21:57




          1




          1




          There should be a list of the "usernames" not "user id", I tested it on my local machine... uid does not works. I also quoted a line from /etc/group manual page: " a list of the usernames that are members of this group, separated by commas."
          – Ravexina
          Mar 28 at 21:59




          There should be a list of the "usernames" not "user id", I tested it on my local machine... uid does not works. I also quoted a line from /etc/group manual page: " a list of the usernames that are members of this group, separated by commas."
          – Ravexina
          Mar 28 at 21:59




          1




          1




          I edited your answer to emphasize that one has to put the user names into /etc/groups, not the UIDs. At least for me, that wasn't too clear until I saw your comment above. Btw, another (more common?) command to add a USER to a GROUP is sudo adduser USER GROUP.
          – Byte Commander
          Mar 28 at 22:57




          I edited your answer to emphasize that one has to put the user names into /etc/groups, not the UIDs. At least for me, that wasn't too clear until I saw your comment above. Btw, another (more common?) command to add a USER to a GROUP is sudo adduser USER GROUP.
          – Byte Commander
          Mar 28 at 22:57

















           

          draft saved


          draft discarded















































           


          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1020103%2flinux-ubuntu-permission-confusion%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest













































































          Popular posts from this blog

          Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

          How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

          Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error