How to perform process handling routines on a Ubuntu machine on a Windows system

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
1
down vote

favorite












On my Windows 10 machine, I've installed a Ubuntu system (as a Trusted Microsoft Store app). When I open that window and type help, these are the first lines I see:



GNU bash, version 4.3.48(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)


The results of uname -a are the following:



Linux DOMINIQUEDS 4.4.0-43-Microsoft #1-Microsoft Wed Dec 31 14:42:53 PST 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux


In that Ubuntu window, I have lots of interesting Linux/UNIX features, like find, grep, ..., but now I would like to do some process handling (ps -ef, kill -9), and this seems not to work:



When opening Windows task manager, I see ±100 processes running.



When I run ps -ef, (even after having opened the Ubuntu window as administrator), I only see three processes:



DominiqueDS@DOMINIQUEDS:~$ ps -ef
UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD
root 1 0 0 17:14 ? 00:00:00 /init
Dominiq+ 2 1 0 17:14 tty1 00:00:00 -bash
Dominiq+ 18 2 0 17:19 tty1 00:00:00 ps -ef


Does anybody know how I can make ps -ef and kill -9 work in this Ubuntu window on my Windows-10 machine?



Thanks in advance










share|improve this question

























    up vote
    1
    down vote

    favorite












    On my Windows 10 machine, I've installed a Ubuntu system (as a Trusted Microsoft Store app). When I open that window and type help, these are the first lines I see:



    GNU bash, version 4.3.48(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)


    The results of uname -a are the following:



    Linux DOMINIQUEDS 4.4.0-43-Microsoft #1-Microsoft Wed Dec 31 14:42:53 PST 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux


    In that Ubuntu window, I have lots of interesting Linux/UNIX features, like find, grep, ..., but now I would like to do some process handling (ps -ef, kill -9), and this seems not to work:



    When opening Windows task manager, I see ±100 processes running.



    When I run ps -ef, (even after having opened the Ubuntu window as administrator), I only see three processes:



    DominiqueDS@DOMINIQUEDS:~$ ps -ef
    UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD
    root 1 0 0 17:14 ? 00:00:00 /init
    Dominiq+ 2 1 0 17:14 tty1 00:00:00 -bash
    Dominiq+ 18 2 0 17:19 tty1 00:00:00 ps -ef


    Does anybody know how I can make ps -ef and kill -9 work in this Ubuntu window on my Windows-10 machine?



    Thanks in advance










    share|improve this question























      up vote
      1
      down vote

      favorite









      up vote
      1
      down vote

      favorite











      On my Windows 10 machine, I've installed a Ubuntu system (as a Trusted Microsoft Store app). When I open that window and type help, these are the first lines I see:



      GNU bash, version 4.3.48(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)


      The results of uname -a are the following:



      Linux DOMINIQUEDS 4.4.0-43-Microsoft #1-Microsoft Wed Dec 31 14:42:53 PST 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux


      In that Ubuntu window, I have lots of interesting Linux/UNIX features, like find, grep, ..., but now I would like to do some process handling (ps -ef, kill -9), and this seems not to work:



      When opening Windows task manager, I see ±100 processes running.



      When I run ps -ef, (even after having opened the Ubuntu window as administrator), I only see three processes:



      DominiqueDS@DOMINIQUEDS:~$ ps -ef
      UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD
      root 1 0 0 17:14 ? 00:00:00 /init
      Dominiq+ 2 1 0 17:14 tty1 00:00:00 -bash
      Dominiq+ 18 2 0 17:19 tty1 00:00:00 ps -ef


      Does anybody know how I can make ps -ef and kill -9 work in this Ubuntu window on my Windows-10 machine?



      Thanks in advance










      share|improve this question













      On my Windows 10 machine, I've installed a Ubuntu system (as a Trusted Microsoft Store app). When I open that window and type help, these are the first lines I see:



      GNU bash, version 4.3.48(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)


      The results of uname -a are the following:



      Linux DOMINIQUEDS 4.4.0-43-Microsoft #1-Microsoft Wed Dec 31 14:42:53 PST 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux


      In that Ubuntu window, I have lots of interesting Linux/UNIX features, like find, grep, ..., but now I would like to do some process handling (ps -ef, kill -9), and this seems not to work:



      When opening Windows task manager, I see ±100 processes running.



      When I run ps -ef, (even after having opened the Ubuntu window as administrator), I only see three processes:



      DominiqueDS@DOMINIQUEDS:~$ ps -ef
      UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD
      root 1 0 0 17:14 ? 00:00:00 /init
      Dominiq+ 2 1 0 17:14 tty1 00:00:00 -bash
      Dominiq+ 18 2 0 17:19 tty1 00:00:00 ps -ef


      Does anybody know how I can make ps -ef and kill -9 work in this Ubuntu window on my Windows-10 machine?



      Thanks in advance







      windows windows-10 process






      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question











      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question










      asked Mar 28 at 7:54









      Dominique

      1106




      1106




















          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes

















          up vote
          0
          down vote













          Well you can't.
          WSL Bash in Windows 10 runs in a kind of sandbox, and has no access to windows processes.






          share|improve this answer




















            Your Answer







            StackExchange.ready(function()
            var channelOptions =
            tags: "".split(" "),
            id: "89"
            ;
            initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

            StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
            // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
            if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
            StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
            createEditor();
            );

            else
            createEditor();

            );

            function createEditor()
            StackExchange.prepareEditor(
            heartbeatType: 'answer',
            convertImagesToLinks: true,
            noModals: false,
            showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
            reputationToPostImages: 10,
            bindNavPrevention: true,
            postfix: "",
            onDemand: true,
            discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
            ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
            );



            );













             

            draft saved


            draft discarded


















            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1019873%2fhow-to-perform-process-handling-routines-on-a-ubuntu-machine-on-a-windows-system%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest






























            1 Answer
            1






            active

            oldest

            votes








            1 Answer
            1






            active

            oldest

            votes









            active

            oldest

            votes






            active

            oldest

            votes








            up vote
            0
            down vote













            Well you can't.
            WSL Bash in Windows 10 runs in a kind of sandbox, and has no access to windows processes.






            share|improve this answer
























              up vote
              0
              down vote













              Well you can't.
              WSL Bash in Windows 10 runs in a kind of sandbox, and has no access to windows processes.






              share|improve this answer






















                up vote
                0
                down vote










                up vote
                0
                down vote









                Well you can't.
                WSL Bash in Windows 10 runs in a kind of sandbox, and has no access to windows processes.






                share|improve this answer












                Well you can't.
                WSL Bash in Windows 10 runs in a kind of sandbox, and has no access to windows processes.







                share|improve this answer












                share|improve this answer



                share|improve this answer










                answered Mar 28 at 8:07









                olikaf

                1566




                1566



























                     

                    draft saved


                    draft discarded















































                     


                    draft saved


                    draft discarded














                    StackExchange.ready(
                    function ()
                    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1019873%2fhow-to-perform-process-handling-routines-on-a-ubuntu-machine-on-a-windows-system%23new-answer', 'question_page');

                    );

                    Post as a guest













































































                    Popular posts from this blog

                    Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

                    How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

                    Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error