Error mounting drive

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I got this error message. I was able to mount previously but it suddenly wasn't able to.
I got this error message. I was able to mount previously but it suddenly wasn't able to.



I tried this



sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdd 


but got this message:



Mounting volume... NTFS signature is missing.
FAILED
Attempting to correct errors... NTFS signature is missing.
FAILED
Failed to startup volume: Invalid argument
NTFS signature is missing.
Trying the alternate boot sector
NTFS signature is missing.
Unrecoverable error
Volume is corrupt. You should run chkdsk.









share|improve this question



















  • 2




    is the drive ntfs of vfat?
    – ravery
    Mar 14 at 8:51






  • 1




    Are you intending mounting the whole drive or a partition? I'd normally expect to mount something like /dev/sdd1 rather than just /dev/sdd.
    – Arronical
    Mar 14 at 8:54











  • before you start messing with it too much, create a disk image using dd if you bork the recovery, you can still go back.
    – j0h
    Mar 14 at 10:12










  • Welcome to Ask Ubuntu. Why on Earth would you try to "NTFS fix" a whole drive instead of a partition? Moreover we are talking about a FAT partition... Please clarify what you are trying to do.
    – Andrea Lazzarotto
    Mar 16 at 10:28











  • @ravery I'm not too sure if the drive os ntfs or vfat.. Is there a way to check it?
    – Star
    Mar 23 at 10:08














up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I got this error message. I was able to mount previously but it suddenly wasn't able to.
I got this error message. I was able to mount previously but it suddenly wasn't able to.



I tried this



sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdd 


but got this message:



Mounting volume... NTFS signature is missing.
FAILED
Attempting to correct errors... NTFS signature is missing.
FAILED
Failed to startup volume: Invalid argument
NTFS signature is missing.
Trying the alternate boot sector
NTFS signature is missing.
Unrecoverable error
Volume is corrupt. You should run chkdsk.









share|improve this question



















  • 2




    is the drive ntfs of vfat?
    – ravery
    Mar 14 at 8:51






  • 1




    Are you intending mounting the whole drive or a partition? I'd normally expect to mount something like /dev/sdd1 rather than just /dev/sdd.
    – Arronical
    Mar 14 at 8:54











  • before you start messing with it too much, create a disk image using dd if you bork the recovery, you can still go back.
    – j0h
    Mar 14 at 10:12










  • Welcome to Ask Ubuntu. Why on Earth would you try to "NTFS fix" a whole drive instead of a partition? Moreover we are talking about a FAT partition... Please clarify what you are trying to do.
    – Andrea Lazzarotto
    Mar 16 at 10:28











  • @ravery I'm not too sure if the drive os ntfs or vfat.. Is there a way to check it?
    – Star
    Mar 23 at 10:08












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











I got this error message. I was able to mount previously but it suddenly wasn't able to.
I got this error message. I was able to mount previously but it suddenly wasn't able to.



I tried this



sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdd 


but got this message:



Mounting volume... NTFS signature is missing.
FAILED
Attempting to correct errors... NTFS signature is missing.
FAILED
Failed to startup volume: Invalid argument
NTFS signature is missing.
Trying the alternate boot sector
NTFS signature is missing.
Unrecoverable error
Volume is corrupt. You should run chkdsk.









share|improve this question















I got this error message. I was able to mount previously but it suddenly wasn't able to.
I got this error message. I was able to mount previously but it suddenly wasn't able to.



I tried this



sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdd 


but got this message:



Mounting volume... NTFS signature is missing.
FAILED
Attempting to correct errors... NTFS signature is missing.
FAILED
Failed to startup volume: Invalid argument
NTFS signature is missing.
Trying the alternate boot sector
NTFS signature is missing.
Unrecoverable error
Volume is corrupt. You should run chkdsk.






mount ntfs






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Mar 14 at 8:53









Arronical

12.7k84589




12.7k84589










asked Mar 14 at 8:44









Star

1




1







  • 2




    is the drive ntfs of vfat?
    – ravery
    Mar 14 at 8:51






  • 1




    Are you intending mounting the whole drive or a partition? I'd normally expect to mount something like /dev/sdd1 rather than just /dev/sdd.
    – Arronical
    Mar 14 at 8:54











  • before you start messing with it too much, create a disk image using dd if you bork the recovery, you can still go back.
    – j0h
    Mar 14 at 10:12










  • Welcome to Ask Ubuntu. Why on Earth would you try to "NTFS fix" a whole drive instead of a partition? Moreover we are talking about a FAT partition... Please clarify what you are trying to do.
    – Andrea Lazzarotto
    Mar 16 at 10:28











  • @ravery I'm not too sure if the drive os ntfs or vfat.. Is there a way to check it?
    – Star
    Mar 23 at 10:08












  • 2




    is the drive ntfs of vfat?
    – ravery
    Mar 14 at 8:51






  • 1




    Are you intending mounting the whole drive or a partition? I'd normally expect to mount something like /dev/sdd1 rather than just /dev/sdd.
    – Arronical
    Mar 14 at 8:54











  • before you start messing with it too much, create a disk image using dd if you bork the recovery, you can still go back.
    – j0h
    Mar 14 at 10:12










  • Welcome to Ask Ubuntu. Why on Earth would you try to "NTFS fix" a whole drive instead of a partition? Moreover we are talking about a FAT partition... Please clarify what you are trying to do.
    – Andrea Lazzarotto
    Mar 16 at 10:28











  • @ravery I'm not too sure if the drive os ntfs or vfat.. Is there a way to check it?
    – Star
    Mar 23 at 10:08







2




2




is the drive ntfs of vfat?
– ravery
Mar 14 at 8:51




is the drive ntfs of vfat?
– ravery
Mar 14 at 8:51




1




1




Are you intending mounting the whole drive or a partition? I'd normally expect to mount something like /dev/sdd1 rather than just /dev/sdd.
– Arronical
Mar 14 at 8:54





Are you intending mounting the whole drive or a partition? I'd normally expect to mount something like /dev/sdd1 rather than just /dev/sdd.
– Arronical
Mar 14 at 8:54













before you start messing with it too much, create a disk image using dd if you bork the recovery, you can still go back.
– j0h
Mar 14 at 10:12




before you start messing with it too much, create a disk image using dd if you bork the recovery, you can still go back.
– j0h
Mar 14 at 10:12












Welcome to Ask Ubuntu. Why on Earth would you try to "NTFS fix" a whole drive instead of a partition? Moreover we are talking about a FAT partition... Please clarify what you are trying to do.
– Andrea Lazzarotto
Mar 16 at 10:28





Welcome to Ask Ubuntu. Why on Earth would you try to "NTFS fix" a whole drive instead of a partition? Moreover we are talking about a FAT partition... Please clarify what you are trying to do.
– Andrea Lazzarotto
Mar 16 at 10:28













@ravery I'm not too sure if the drive os ntfs or vfat.. Is there a way to check it?
– Star
Mar 23 at 10:08




@ravery I'm not too sure if the drive os ntfs or vfat.. Is there a way to check it?
– Star
Mar 23 at 10:08















active

oldest

votes











Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1014804%2ferror-mounting-drive%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest



































active

oldest

votes













active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes















 

draft saved


draft discarded















































 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1014804%2ferror-mounting-drive%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error