VirtualBox Storage Mount Directory/Prefix - VERR_PERMISSION_DENIED

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I have upgraded Oracle virtual box to its newest version 5.2.12. Installed ubuntu 18.04 and I'm unable to mount shared folder to specified location or remove prefix (sf_). Vbox addition are installed. I will set share in Vbox: permanent and automatically reconnect.
After that add my user in to vboxsf group



root@data:/home/user# usermod -a -G vboxsf user


by removing prefix I will get this error



root@data:/home/user# VBoxControl guestproperty set /VirtualBox/GuestAdd/SharedFolders/MountPrefix "/"
Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest Additions Command Line Management Interface Version 5.2.12
(C) 2008-2018 Oracle Corporation
All rights reserved.

VBoxControl: error: Failed to store the property value, error VERR_PERMISSION_DENIED


by mounting shared folder to specified point same error



root@data:/home/user# VBoxControl guestproperty set /VirtualBox/GuestAdd/SharedFolders/MountDir /home/user/
Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest Additions Command Line Management Interface Version 5.2.12
(C) 2008-2018 Oracle Corporation
All rights reserved.

VBoxControl: error: Failed to store the property value, error VERR_PERMISSION_DENIED
root@data:/home/data#


Any ideas how to fix it or workaround?







share|improve this question






















  • I'm having the exact same problem.
    – selectstriker2
    Jun 22 at 18:02














up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I have upgraded Oracle virtual box to its newest version 5.2.12. Installed ubuntu 18.04 and I'm unable to mount shared folder to specified location or remove prefix (sf_). Vbox addition are installed. I will set share in Vbox: permanent and automatically reconnect.
After that add my user in to vboxsf group



root@data:/home/user# usermod -a -G vboxsf user


by removing prefix I will get this error



root@data:/home/user# VBoxControl guestproperty set /VirtualBox/GuestAdd/SharedFolders/MountPrefix "/"
Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest Additions Command Line Management Interface Version 5.2.12
(C) 2008-2018 Oracle Corporation
All rights reserved.

VBoxControl: error: Failed to store the property value, error VERR_PERMISSION_DENIED


by mounting shared folder to specified point same error



root@data:/home/user# VBoxControl guestproperty set /VirtualBox/GuestAdd/SharedFolders/MountDir /home/user/
Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest Additions Command Line Management Interface Version 5.2.12
(C) 2008-2018 Oracle Corporation
All rights reserved.

VBoxControl: error: Failed to store the property value, error VERR_PERMISSION_DENIED
root@data:/home/data#


Any ideas how to fix it or workaround?







share|improve this question






















  • I'm having the exact same problem.
    – selectstriker2
    Jun 22 at 18:02












up vote
0
down vote

favorite









up vote
0
down vote

favorite











I have upgraded Oracle virtual box to its newest version 5.2.12. Installed ubuntu 18.04 and I'm unable to mount shared folder to specified location or remove prefix (sf_). Vbox addition are installed. I will set share in Vbox: permanent and automatically reconnect.
After that add my user in to vboxsf group



root@data:/home/user# usermod -a -G vboxsf user


by removing prefix I will get this error



root@data:/home/user# VBoxControl guestproperty set /VirtualBox/GuestAdd/SharedFolders/MountPrefix "/"
Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest Additions Command Line Management Interface Version 5.2.12
(C) 2008-2018 Oracle Corporation
All rights reserved.

VBoxControl: error: Failed to store the property value, error VERR_PERMISSION_DENIED


by mounting shared folder to specified point same error



root@data:/home/user# VBoxControl guestproperty set /VirtualBox/GuestAdd/SharedFolders/MountDir /home/user/
Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest Additions Command Line Management Interface Version 5.2.12
(C) 2008-2018 Oracle Corporation
All rights reserved.

VBoxControl: error: Failed to store the property value, error VERR_PERMISSION_DENIED
root@data:/home/data#


Any ideas how to fix it or workaround?







share|improve this question














I have upgraded Oracle virtual box to its newest version 5.2.12. Installed ubuntu 18.04 and I'm unable to mount shared folder to specified location or remove prefix (sf_). Vbox addition are installed. I will set share in Vbox: permanent and automatically reconnect.
After that add my user in to vboxsf group



root@data:/home/user# usermod -a -G vboxsf user


by removing prefix I will get this error



root@data:/home/user# VBoxControl guestproperty set /VirtualBox/GuestAdd/SharedFolders/MountPrefix "/"
Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest Additions Command Line Management Interface Version 5.2.12
(C) 2008-2018 Oracle Corporation
All rights reserved.

VBoxControl: error: Failed to store the property value, error VERR_PERMISSION_DENIED


by mounting shared folder to specified point same error



root@data:/home/user# VBoxControl guestproperty set /VirtualBox/GuestAdd/SharedFolders/MountDir /home/user/
Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest Additions Command Line Management Interface Version 5.2.12
(C) 2008-2018 Oracle Corporation
All rights reserved.

VBoxControl: error: Failed to store the property value, error VERR_PERMISSION_DENIED
root@data:/home/data#


Any ideas how to fix it or workaround?









share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Jun 22 at 19:49









muru

129k19270460




129k19270460










asked May 23 at 15:20









Gwen Gwentaur

11




11











  • I'm having the exact same problem.
    – selectstriker2
    Jun 22 at 18:02
















  • I'm having the exact same problem.
    – selectstriker2
    Jun 22 at 18:02















I'm having the exact same problem.
– selectstriker2
Jun 22 at 18:02




I'm having the exact same problem.
– selectstriker2
Jun 22 at 18:02










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
1
down vote













According to this VirtualBox ticket: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17583




This is intentional as we did some fixes in that area. Please change that parameter from the host side using VBoxManage instead. - pentagonik




I was able to perform this with the same command from the host side via the following command:



VBoxManage guestproperty set [VM Name] /VirtualBox/GuestAdd/SharedFolders/MountPrefix "/"
VBoxManage guestproperty set [VM Name] /VirtualBox/GuestAdd/SharedFolders/MountDIR "/home/user"


After trying this however, my Ubuntu 18.04 VM still mounts it under /media/ with the prefix sf_, so I'm not sure this even works right now.






share|improve this answer






















    Your Answer







    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "89"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    convertImagesToLinks: true,
    noModals: false,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: 10,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );








     

    draft saved


    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1039465%2fvirtualbox-storage-mount-directory-prefix-verr-permission-denied%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest






























    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes








    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes








    up vote
    1
    down vote













    According to this VirtualBox ticket: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17583




    This is intentional as we did some fixes in that area. Please change that parameter from the host side using VBoxManage instead. - pentagonik




    I was able to perform this with the same command from the host side via the following command:



    VBoxManage guestproperty set [VM Name] /VirtualBox/GuestAdd/SharedFolders/MountPrefix "/"
    VBoxManage guestproperty set [VM Name] /VirtualBox/GuestAdd/SharedFolders/MountDIR "/home/user"


    After trying this however, my Ubuntu 18.04 VM still mounts it under /media/ with the prefix sf_, so I'm not sure this even works right now.






    share|improve this answer


























      up vote
      1
      down vote













      According to this VirtualBox ticket: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17583




      This is intentional as we did some fixes in that area. Please change that parameter from the host side using VBoxManage instead. - pentagonik




      I was able to perform this with the same command from the host side via the following command:



      VBoxManage guestproperty set [VM Name] /VirtualBox/GuestAdd/SharedFolders/MountPrefix "/"
      VBoxManage guestproperty set [VM Name] /VirtualBox/GuestAdd/SharedFolders/MountDIR "/home/user"


      After trying this however, my Ubuntu 18.04 VM still mounts it under /media/ with the prefix sf_, so I'm not sure this even works right now.






      share|improve this answer
























        up vote
        1
        down vote










        up vote
        1
        down vote









        According to this VirtualBox ticket: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17583




        This is intentional as we did some fixes in that area. Please change that parameter from the host side using VBoxManage instead. - pentagonik




        I was able to perform this with the same command from the host side via the following command:



        VBoxManage guestproperty set [VM Name] /VirtualBox/GuestAdd/SharedFolders/MountPrefix "/"
        VBoxManage guestproperty set [VM Name] /VirtualBox/GuestAdd/SharedFolders/MountDIR "/home/user"


        After trying this however, my Ubuntu 18.04 VM still mounts it under /media/ with the prefix sf_, so I'm not sure this even works right now.






        share|improve this answer














        According to this VirtualBox ticket: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17583




        This is intentional as we did some fixes in that area. Please change that parameter from the host side using VBoxManage instead. - pentagonik




        I was able to perform this with the same command from the host side via the following command:



        VBoxManage guestproperty set [VM Name] /VirtualBox/GuestAdd/SharedFolders/MountPrefix "/"
        VBoxManage guestproperty set [VM Name] /VirtualBox/GuestAdd/SharedFolders/MountDIR "/home/user"


        After trying this however, my Ubuntu 18.04 VM still mounts it under /media/ with the prefix sf_, so I'm not sure this even works right now.







        share|improve this answer














        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer








        edited Jun 22 at 18:40

























        answered Jun 22 at 18:21









        selectstriker2

        1135




        1135






















             

            draft saved


            draft discarded


























             


            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1039465%2fvirtualbox-storage-mount-directory-prefix-verr-permission-denied%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest













































































            Popular posts from this blog

            Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

            How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

            Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error