remove docker (ubuntu) in presence of docker-ce

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












I have docker up and running, with the docker-provided CE variant:



# dpkg -l '*docker*'
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
+++-===================================================-==============================-==============================-===========================================================================================================
un docker <none> <none> (no description available)
ii docker-ce 18.03.0~ce-0~ubuntu amd64 Docker: the open-source application container engine
un docker-ee <none> <none> (no description available)
rc docker-engine 17.05.0~ce-0~ubuntu-xenial amd64 Docker: the open-source application container engine
un docker-engine-cs <none> <none> (no description available)
un docker.io <none> <none> (no description available)


I'm doing basic system house-keeping and see that the older docker-engine has some config files still present. I thought to do a simple apt-get purge docker-engine, but thought I'd look into what would happen. The /var/lib/dpkg/info/docker-engine.list just contains:



/etc
/etc/init.d
/etc/default
/etc/init


so I'm not worried that purging would harm the current docker-ce package, but the .postrm file does a bit more. In if blocks specifically limited to "purge" operations, I see:



update-rc.d docker remove >/dev/null
deb-systemd-helper purge docker.service docker.socket >/dev/null
deb-systemd-helper unmask docker.service docker.socket >/dev/null


which do not (to me) immediately differentiate between the two packages. The first command looks for /etc/init.d/docker which, at this point, is the one installed by docker-ce, so I wonder if executing that command would close down the wrong service.



I can recover from a simple "service was disabled", but I don't know what else will be happening to know if apt-get purge docker-engine would further disrupt my current happily-working docker-ce instance.



If my concern is correct (that purging one will adversely affect the other), then is there a safer way to clean this up? I do not mind removing files manually, if that will suffice. My sole goal is to not endanger my current docker instance, as it feeds my company's docker swarm manager, on which I have a lot riding.







share|improve this question
























    up vote
    0
    down vote

    favorite












    I have docker up and running, with the docker-provided CE variant:



    # dpkg -l '*docker*'
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name Version Architecture Description
    +++-===================================================-==============================-==============================-===========================================================================================================
    un docker <none> <none> (no description available)
    ii docker-ce 18.03.0~ce-0~ubuntu amd64 Docker: the open-source application container engine
    un docker-ee <none> <none> (no description available)
    rc docker-engine 17.05.0~ce-0~ubuntu-xenial amd64 Docker: the open-source application container engine
    un docker-engine-cs <none> <none> (no description available)
    un docker.io <none> <none> (no description available)


    I'm doing basic system house-keeping and see that the older docker-engine has some config files still present. I thought to do a simple apt-get purge docker-engine, but thought I'd look into what would happen. The /var/lib/dpkg/info/docker-engine.list just contains:



    /etc
    /etc/init.d
    /etc/default
    /etc/init


    so I'm not worried that purging would harm the current docker-ce package, but the .postrm file does a bit more. In if blocks specifically limited to "purge" operations, I see:



    update-rc.d docker remove >/dev/null
    deb-systemd-helper purge docker.service docker.socket >/dev/null
    deb-systemd-helper unmask docker.service docker.socket >/dev/null


    which do not (to me) immediately differentiate between the two packages. The first command looks for /etc/init.d/docker which, at this point, is the one installed by docker-ce, so I wonder if executing that command would close down the wrong service.



    I can recover from a simple "service was disabled", but I don't know what else will be happening to know if apt-get purge docker-engine would further disrupt my current happily-working docker-ce instance.



    If my concern is correct (that purging one will adversely affect the other), then is there a safer way to clean this up? I do not mind removing files manually, if that will suffice. My sole goal is to not endanger my current docker instance, as it feeds my company's docker swarm manager, on which I have a lot riding.







    share|improve this question






















      up vote
      0
      down vote

      favorite









      up vote
      0
      down vote

      favorite











      I have docker up and running, with the docker-provided CE variant:



      # dpkg -l '*docker*'
      Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
      | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
      |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
      ||/ Name Version Architecture Description
      +++-===================================================-==============================-==============================-===========================================================================================================
      un docker <none> <none> (no description available)
      ii docker-ce 18.03.0~ce-0~ubuntu amd64 Docker: the open-source application container engine
      un docker-ee <none> <none> (no description available)
      rc docker-engine 17.05.0~ce-0~ubuntu-xenial amd64 Docker: the open-source application container engine
      un docker-engine-cs <none> <none> (no description available)
      un docker.io <none> <none> (no description available)


      I'm doing basic system house-keeping and see that the older docker-engine has some config files still present. I thought to do a simple apt-get purge docker-engine, but thought I'd look into what would happen. The /var/lib/dpkg/info/docker-engine.list just contains:



      /etc
      /etc/init.d
      /etc/default
      /etc/init


      so I'm not worried that purging would harm the current docker-ce package, but the .postrm file does a bit more. In if blocks specifically limited to "purge" operations, I see:



      update-rc.d docker remove >/dev/null
      deb-systemd-helper purge docker.service docker.socket >/dev/null
      deb-systemd-helper unmask docker.service docker.socket >/dev/null


      which do not (to me) immediately differentiate between the two packages. The first command looks for /etc/init.d/docker which, at this point, is the one installed by docker-ce, so I wonder if executing that command would close down the wrong service.



      I can recover from a simple "service was disabled", but I don't know what else will be happening to know if apt-get purge docker-engine would further disrupt my current happily-working docker-ce instance.



      If my concern is correct (that purging one will adversely affect the other), then is there a safer way to clean this up? I do not mind removing files manually, if that will suffice. My sole goal is to not endanger my current docker instance, as it feeds my company's docker swarm manager, on which I have a lot riding.







      share|improve this question












      I have docker up and running, with the docker-provided CE variant:



      # dpkg -l '*docker*'
      Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
      | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
      |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
      ||/ Name Version Architecture Description
      +++-===================================================-==============================-==============================-===========================================================================================================
      un docker <none> <none> (no description available)
      ii docker-ce 18.03.0~ce-0~ubuntu amd64 Docker: the open-source application container engine
      un docker-ee <none> <none> (no description available)
      rc docker-engine 17.05.0~ce-0~ubuntu-xenial amd64 Docker: the open-source application container engine
      un docker-engine-cs <none> <none> (no description available)
      un docker.io <none> <none> (no description available)


      I'm doing basic system house-keeping and see that the older docker-engine has some config files still present. I thought to do a simple apt-get purge docker-engine, but thought I'd look into what would happen. The /var/lib/dpkg/info/docker-engine.list just contains:



      /etc
      /etc/init.d
      /etc/default
      /etc/init


      so I'm not worried that purging would harm the current docker-ce package, but the .postrm file does a bit more. In if blocks specifically limited to "purge" operations, I see:



      update-rc.d docker remove >/dev/null
      deb-systemd-helper purge docker.service docker.socket >/dev/null
      deb-systemd-helper unmask docker.service docker.socket >/dev/null


      which do not (to me) immediately differentiate between the two packages. The first command looks for /etc/init.d/docker which, at this point, is the one installed by docker-ce, so I wonder if executing that command would close down the wrong service.



      I can recover from a simple "service was disabled", but I don't know what else will be happening to know if apt-get purge docker-engine would further disrupt my current happily-working docker-ce instance.



      If my concern is correct (that purging one will adversely affect the other), then is there a safer way to clean this up? I do not mind removing files manually, if that will suffice. My sole goal is to not endanger my current docker instance, as it feeds my company's docker swarm manager, on which I have a lot riding.









      share|improve this question











      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question










      asked Apr 23 at 19:00









      r2evans

      1215




      1215

























          active

          oldest

          votes











          Your Answer







          StackExchange.ready(function()
          var channelOptions =
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "89"
          ;
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
          createEditor();
          );

          else
          createEditor();

          );

          function createEditor()
          StackExchange.prepareEditor(
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          convertImagesToLinks: true,
          noModals: false,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: 10,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          );



          );













           

          draft saved


          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1027563%2fremove-docker-ubuntu-in-presence-of-docker-ce%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest



































          active

          oldest

          votes













          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes















           

          draft saved


          draft discarded















































           


          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1027563%2fremove-docker-ubuntu-in-presence-of-docker-ce%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest













































































          Popular posts from this blog

          Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

          How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

          Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error