How can I reset graphics drivers settings without completely reinstalling?

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
0
down vote

favorite












For 3 releases, I've had issues where either manually or automatically, Ubuntu graphics driver settings change or become corrupt, and I have to completely reinstall the OS. This is a huge waste of time, and I lose some data and settings when it happens.



Is there a way to completely restore to defaults the graphics drivers and their settings?



Please offer very detailed step-by-step, because it sucks to not be able to enter the OS. I have no idea how to get to the correct command lines, what commands to enter, how to enable networking, etc. Once this problem occurs, I've got a brick that is no longer internet-connected, boots to grub/recovery, but I don't know what key combos to press to get to the correct terminals, how to connect to wifi, etc.



Dell XPS 9560







share|improve this question
























    up vote
    0
    down vote

    favorite












    For 3 releases, I've had issues where either manually or automatically, Ubuntu graphics driver settings change or become corrupt, and I have to completely reinstall the OS. This is a huge waste of time, and I lose some data and settings when it happens.



    Is there a way to completely restore to defaults the graphics drivers and their settings?



    Please offer very detailed step-by-step, because it sucks to not be able to enter the OS. I have no idea how to get to the correct command lines, what commands to enter, how to enable networking, etc. Once this problem occurs, I've got a brick that is no longer internet-connected, boots to grub/recovery, but I don't know what key combos to press to get to the correct terminals, how to connect to wifi, etc.



    Dell XPS 9560







    share|improve this question






















      up vote
      0
      down vote

      favorite









      up vote
      0
      down vote

      favorite











      For 3 releases, I've had issues where either manually or automatically, Ubuntu graphics driver settings change or become corrupt, and I have to completely reinstall the OS. This is a huge waste of time, and I lose some data and settings when it happens.



      Is there a way to completely restore to defaults the graphics drivers and their settings?



      Please offer very detailed step-by-step, because it sucks to not be able to enter the OS. I have no idea how to get to the correct command lines, what commands to enter, how to enable networking, etc. Once this problem occurs, I've got a brick that is no longer internet-connected, boots to grub/recovery, but I don't know what key combos to press to get to the correct terminals, how to connect to wifi, etc.



      Dell XPS 9560







      share|improve this question












      For 3 releases, I've had issues where either manually or automatically, Ubuntu graphics driver settings change or become corrupt, and I have to completely reinstall the OS. This is a huge waste of time, and I lose some data and settings when it happens.



      Is there a way to completely restore to defaults the graphics drivers and their settings?



      Please offer very detailed step-by-step, because it sucks to not be able to enter the OS. I have no idea how to get to the correct command lines, what commands to enter, how to enable networking, etc. Once this problem occurs, I've got a brick that is no longer internet-connected, boots to grub/recovery, but I don't know what key combos to press to get to the correct terminals, how to connect to wifi, etc.



      Dell XPS 9560









      share|improve this question











      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question










      asked Apr 23 at 14:43









      Tom Mercer

      5711323




      5711323

























          active

          oldest

          votes











          Your Answer







          StackExchange.ready(function()
          var channelOptions =
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "89"
          ;
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
          createEditor();
          );

          else
          createEditor();

          );

          function createEditor()
          StackExchange.prepareEditor(
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          convertImagesToLinks: true,
          noModals: false,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: 10,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          );



          );













           

          draft saved


          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1027483%2fhow-can-i-reset-graphics-drivers-settings-without-completely-reinstalling%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest



































          active

          oldest

          votes













          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes















           

          draft saved


          draft discarded















































           


          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1027483%2fhow-can-i-reset-graphics-drivers-settings-without-completely-reinstalling%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest













































































          Popular posts from this blog

          Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

          How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

          Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error