NVIDIA driver fail causing Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS login loop

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP








up vote
2
down vote

favorite
1












My Ubuntu PC got stuck in a login loop due to an error I got from the nvidia driver. I also got this error few times earlier with another pc, however re-installing the driver was solving the problem. However in this case, I am not able to re-install the driver. Normally what I do:



sudo service lightdm stop

sudo apt-get purge nvidia*

sudo ./NVIDIA-driver(XXX.XX).run


after a successful installation of the nvidia driver



sudo service lightdm start


and normally it would solve the problem. Even before these steps, when I was asking for nvidia-smi, it was not able to detect the gpu in the machine. I am trying to install the new driver, however it also fails during the installation of the kernel.



I use a Tesla C2075 and I have read all the available answers here, however none of them has solved my problem. Please let me know if any further information needed.










share|improve this question





















  • Try sudo apt install gdm3, sudo service lightdm stop and then sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm. This will install a different display manager that, for me, works with Nvidia cards and proprietary drivers. Unfortunately a lot of Nvidia cards/drivers just seem to dislike lightdm so I'm not sure there's a fix, only workarounds.
    – Julian
    Mar 8 at 23:16














up vote
2
down vote

favorite
1












My Ubuntu PC got stuck in a login loop due to an error I got from the nvidia driver. I also got this error few times earlier with another pc, however re-installing the driver was solving the problem. However in this case, I am not able to re-install the driver. Normally what I do:



sudo service lightdm stop

sudo apt-get purge nvidia*

sudo ./NVIDIA-driver(XXX.XX).run


after a successful installation of the nvidia driver



sudo service lightdm start


and normally it would solve the problem. Even before these steps, when I was asking for nvidia-smi, it was not able to detect the gpu in the machine. I am trying to install the new driver, however it also fails during the installation of the kernel.



I use a Tesla C2075 and I have read all the available answers here, however none of them has solved my problem. Please let me know if any further information needed.










share|improve this question





















  • Try sudo apt install gdm3, sudo service lightdm stop and then sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm. This will install a different display manager that, for me, works with Nvidia cards and proprietary drivers. Unfortunately a lot of Nvidia cards/drivers just seem to dislike lightdm so I'm not sure there's a fix, only workarounds.
    – Julian
    Mar 8 at 23:16












up vote
2
down vote

favorite
1









up vote
2
down vote

favorite
1






1





My Ubuntu PC got stuck in a login loop due to an error I got from the nvidia driver. I also got this error few times earlier with another pc, however re-installing the driver was solving the problem. However in this case, I am not able to re-install the driver. Normally what I do:



sudo service lightdm stop

sudo apt-get purge nvidia*

sudo ./NVIDIA-driver(XXX.XX).run


after a successful installation of the nvidia driver



sudo service lightdm start


and normally it would solve the problem. Even before these steps, when I was asking for nvidia-smi, it was not able to detect the gpu in the machine. I am trying to install the new driver, however it also fails during the installation of the kernel.



I use a Tesla C2075 and I have read all the available answers here, however none of them has solved my problem. Please let me know if any further information needed.










share|improve this question













My Ubuntu PC got stuck in a login loop due to an error I got from the nvidia driver. I also got this error few times earlier with another pc, however re-installing the driver was solving the problem. However in this case, I am not able to re-install the driver. Normally what I do:



sudo service lightdm stop

sudo apt-get purge nvidia*

sudo ./NVIDIA-driver(XXX.XX).run


after a successful installation of the nvidia driver



sudo service lightdm start


and normally it would solve the problem. Even before these steps, when I was asking for nvidia-smi, it was not able to detect the gpu in the machine. I am trying to install the new driver, however it also fails during the installation of the kernel.



I use a Tesla C2075 and I have read all the available answers here, however none of them has solved my problem. Please let me know if any further information needed.







16.04 drivers nvidia kernel login






share|improve this question













share|improve this question











share|improve this question




share|improve this question










asked Mar 8 at 23:03









bogac

171




171











  • Try sudo apt install gdm3, sudo service lightdm stop and then sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm. This will install a different display manager that, for me, works with Nvidia cards and proprietary drivers. Unfortunately a lot of Nvidia cards/drivers just seem to dislike lightdm so I'm not sure there's a fix, only workarounds.
    – Julian
    Mar 8 at 23:16
















  • Try sudo apt install gdm3, sudo service lightdm stop and then sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm. This will install a different display manager that, for me, works with Nvidia cards and proprietary drivers. Unfortunately a lot of Nvidia cards/drivers just seem to dislike lightdm so I'm not sure there's a fix, only workarounds.
    – Julian
    Mar 8 at 23:16















Try sudo apt install gdm3, sudo service lightdm stop and then sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm. This will install a different display manager that, for me, works with Nvidia cards and proprietary drivers. Unfortunately a lot of Nvidia cards/drivers just seem to dislike lightdm so I'm not sure there's a fix, only workarounds.
– Julian
Mar 8 at 23:16




Try sudo apt install gdm3, sudo service lightdm stop and then sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm. This will install a different display manager that, for me, works with Nvidia cards and proprietary drivers. Unfortunately a lot of Nvidia cards/drivers just seem to dislike lightdm so I'm not sure there's a fix, only workarounds.
– Julian
Mar 8 at 23:16















active

oldest

votes











Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "89"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1013256%2fnvidia-driver-fail-causing-ubuntu-16-04-3-lts-login-loop%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest



































active

oldest

votes













active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes















 

draft saved


draft discarded















































 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1013256%2fnvidia-driver-fail-causing-ubuntu-16-04-3-lts-login-loop%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest













































































Popular posts from this blog

Which professions warranted travel in Medieval times?

How do so many people here on Academia.SE, and in general, afford lavish higher education programs?

Trouble downloading packages list due to a “Hash sum mismatch” error